NRA membership

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: NRA membership

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not an anti-gun person at all. I have guns that have been handed down from generations before me. These are non-registered and these are the ones I want to hand down to future generations. <br /><br />Just because I'm leary of joining the NRA doen't make me anti-gun. There are others like myself that have seen the changes in government during our lifetime. Some of the changes have been updated to meet the modern society. Some of them have been made to benefit the government such as the income tax. When income tax was first started, it NEVER was intended to be a life long continuance. <br /><br />I realize things are different from when our constitution was written to now. Today if it is not mentioned as a right, that makes it a privilege. This means that if it is a privilige it is easier for them to pass laws against it.<br /><br />At one time before our modern society, a person had every right to protect his property and belongings. With todays bending of the 2nd amendment, a person that has put his blood and sweat into his property can no longer defend it. He is only allowed to defend the lives of him or his family. I would think there would be less burlaries if the homeowner could just do the thief in while protecting his property. The constant changing of the rules is what bothers me. All it takes is an administration that can bend (not change) the constitutions 2nd amendment for a couple of years to achieve what that administration set out to do. After the expiration date comes it can go back, but the damage may have already been done. Then this will make it easier the next time to bend the amendment.<br /><br />Okay, Boomyal you have sold me! Are you sure your not a used car salesman? Jus kiddin! I will go ahead and join. However if things ever do arise that questions my right to keep my firearms, only the registered ones I'll hand over.

Laddies

Banned

Mayfloat, thanks for stepping up to the base and joining. (I certainly hope you mean it) Try to recruit as many frends as posible, we can use all the help we can get in this fight, the anti gunners are well orginized and well funded by the bleeding heart liberals of the world--Bob

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

'atta boy, Mayfloat! Never doubted your stand on the right to own issue, just your reasoning for not stepping up to the plate to fight for those rights. From the bottom of my heart, thanks for being a good student. :D <br /><br /><br />Tinkerer, I dub you Honorary Yank. I think you know American History better than most of us. :(

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boomyal,i stand corrected also,thank you for setting the record straight.What i was refering to as "the list" was exactly what you pointed out,thank you.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />QUOTE]Those guns were considered antiques, by federal law. They are not regulated and required no Federal Form 4473. I think the cutoff date was around 1898. Any firearm manufactured after that cannot be sent mailorder <br /><br />Come on Robby! Git mit der program. The way you express your stand now, you are of the same influence on the subject as PW, Rolmops, WillyBright and theriver. Now you wouldn't want to be counted amongst the likes of them, would ya. ;)
"Shot by old unregistered or newer registered is still shot, so its gotta hurt!"..... <br />Oh fer chrissakes. My stand now if simple. I supported all the cause's all my life. Now I'm retired. I've killed people in VietNam as a kid...I've owned guns all my life........ I've ridden with the some of the baddest Outlaw M/C clubs (not as a member..just friends). I went through more crap than most. I'm tired. I'm broke. I'm 55 and look 80...just passing the torch. I will leave it at this. When I left the NRA (ever hear of "Fixed Income") the postage alone they saved by stopping the weekly "More Money" added up to more than my dues......and my phone now is peacefully silent... ;)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
federal 4473 form for both handgun and longgun purchases. This form stays with the Firearm Dealer. There is no database of any kind created from these forms. If a Dealer goes out of business, these forms are forwarded to a federal depository for safekeeping, under the dealers name. It is from these retained forms that the BATF wanted to begin to create a Database, but were prohibited from doing so by Congress.<br /><br />Now you say, what is the point of either the dealer or the BATF retaining these 4473 forms?<br />If a crime is committed and the firearm retrieved, Law enforcement takes the serial number of the gun and goes to the Manufacturer. The manufacturer tells law enforcement what dealer or distributor purchased the firearm. Once the dealer is identified, then the appropriate law enforcement agency actually has to go to the dealer who then produces the 4473 to show who bought the gun. The trace goes on from there. If the dealer is no longer in business then the logs and forms of that dealer can simply be accessed at the BATF repository.<br />
So very true, and worth repeating. At one time, it was cheap and easy to get an FFL, and get SUPER deals on guns....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Oh come now Robby, yer to young to lay down and die! :D I got ya beat by 2 years and my income situation probably isn't any better than yours plus I still have 2 kids in college. But I figure I'm just taken a little rest before I get after it again.<br /><br />RIP, will ya Robby. At least it sounds like ya dun yore part.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

And before anyone says "its only $xx a year" to protect your rights, I want to ask this. When was the last time you stuck your face in a Capital building and sat in on hearings? I live close enough to do exactly that. Thay are in session RIGHT NOW. I go to the Helmets/Biker law hearings. A thousand bikes parked out front DO make a difference. Any gun issues come up and the damn place looks like a bizarro world hunting camp. Thats MY contribution, and its a lot more powerful than sticking a check in an envelope, licking a stamp, patting yourself on the back and go about business for another year.........<br />Ps. This is directed at no one...just my (last) 2 cents

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Looks like I have just added "Guns" to my walk away from list! Lemme see...oil... 2/4 stroke...dino/syn....battery charge....in or out board....HEY I got SOMETHING NEW we can argue about. Volvo Penta's new forward facing backwards whatever drive system. Saw the ad real quick and thought it was a joke! Then I see the article in Sea....weird...MADE TO KNOCK THE DRIVES OFF AND SINK TO THE BOTTOM IF YA HIT SOMETHING! I'm gone......

aspeck

Staff member

Robby, don't go - we need, and appreciate your support of the Second Ammendment, however you can do it. Thanks!<br /><br />Boom - wow! Thanks for all your input! You too PJC! You guys said it all, so all I will say is, Life Member here also. Some guns registered, some not, if it ever gets to the point where they come for the guns, they can have my registered ones.<br /><br />To all who have helped in one way or another to keep our 2nd Ammendment rights in tact, thank-you! Together, let us keep the rights we have.

Bondo

Staff member

All it takes is an administration that can bend (not change) the constitutions 2nd amendment for a couple of years to achieve what that administration set out to do. After the expiration date comes it can go back, but the damage may have already been done. Then this will make it easier the next time to bend the amendment.<br />
That Right There, Is Why I spent the time to B!tch, Rant, Rave,+ Write Letters.........<br /><br />That's Why I started Breathing again when I Knew G.W. was relected...............<br /><br />Can you just Imagine the makeup of the Courts if Skeery Kerry had won ???????<br /><br />That's Why,............. I Am The NRA .....<br /><br />I even bought an annual membership for my BIL............... And He's a Liberal.......Boy was He Pi$$ed......... :D <br /><br />I want to Thank All My Brothers in this Cause.................. ;)

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />
All it takes is an administration that can bend (not change) the constitutions 2nd amendment for a couple of years to achieve what that administration set out to do. After the expiration date comes it can go back, but the damage may have already been done. Then this will make it easier the next time to bend the amendment.<br />
That Right There, Is Why I spent the time to B!tch, Rant, Rave,+ Write Letters.........<br /><br />That's Why I started Breathing again when I Knew G.W. was relected...............<br /><br />Can you just Imagine the makeup of the Courts if Skeery Kerry had won ???????<br /><br />That's Why,............. I Am The NRA .....<br /><br />I even bought an annual membership for my BIL............... And He's a Liberal.......Boy was He Pi$$ed......... :D <br /><br />I want to Thank All My Brothers in this Cause.................. ;)
The republican camp's motto seems to be "Throw enough S**T and some is bound to stick!"<br /> CLEAN YOUR EYES AND SEE THE LIGHT! The current admin is doing exactly that, bending the constitution's protections (read The Patriot Act, among others), slinging S**T and lying to the masses. You 'publicans accuse others with differing views of being "Liberals." and "Liberal Democrats" You say it like it's an insult. This is The United States of America, where we are free to have differing opinions. <br />This is not the Republican States of America where any view not inside the box is wrong and dangerous. Where intelligent, independent thinking indiviuals are pariahs on society because they don't blindly follow the establishment like the rest of the sheeple. <br /><br />I have a message for all you self-righteous "non-liberals" GROW UP! and accept others for being different. After all we accept you. We pity your lack of ability to think for yourselves, following your party without question. <br /><br />We Accept You!. :) God loves you :p

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> "Liberal Democrats" You say it like it's an insult. [/QB]
You're very astute David. That's because it is!

demsvmejm

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> For the last year I have been getting about 2 calls a month from the NRA to join. I keep telling them "NO" I'm not interested. Seems that the word "NO" is not in their vocabulary.<br /><br />I do believe in the NRA, but I just don't want to belong to a group like this. If for some reason in the future that firearms are made illegal, I don't want to be on a list of people who support firearms. Seems to me that if they were made illegal, the members list would be a good place for the government to look for firearms.<br /><br />Am I being over cautious on this? I did explain to them my reasioning in why I don't want to join, but I think they are just looking for my funds.
I respectfully diagree. The NRA does understand NO.<br /> N O<br /> R esponsibilities<br /> A ccepted<br /> Do not read on unless you can tolerate an opposing opinion. <br />Whereas we need protections against the erosion of our rights, somethings are just wrong. Like assault rifles whose sole purpose is killing humans. The second amendment provided for a way to put food on a family's table, not solely kill someone else. Who goes hunting with an assault rifle?<br />I firmly believe in the right to keep and arm bears.<br />I would vigorously join a fight to protect the second amendment even though I don't keep guns. I have three VERY GOOD reasons not to own a gun, Donovan, Sarah and Evan, my children. It is not a gun that will hurt an innocent, it is stupidity. Open gun safes, loaded weapons not adequately protected, etc. Just a look at my in-laws home is reason enough to demand sticter control on guns. Recently our greater Northern Michigan communtiy suffered a loss as a policeman's child fatally shot himself with his dad's gun. The gun was stored atop an armoire, seven feet above the floor. Even though any reasonable person would think this was adequate, high off the floor, concealed from view, this tragedy was the result of stupidity. If no one else, a police officer should know safe gun control, use and storage. If you fear for your families safety, MOVE! It's not that hard, U-Haul rent's trucks, Mayflower will even load your stuff. Someone will buy your home and sell you another.<br />NRA wants NO restriction, control, regulation, rules or responsibility in gun ownership. Elsewhere on iBoats we lament the lack of training, oversight and safety caused by lax regulation when it comes to boat ownership and operation. Why don't you embrace the same when it comes to the ownership and operation of something far more deadly, a gun? Only those in fear for their own existence (NRA, etc.) have a problem with reasonable expectations of control.<br />A good politician keeps the masses alarmed and in fear. This creates a need for the protection that the politician makes you believe only he/she can provide. This goes true for any organization that represents a group, in this case, the NRA.<br />Now some cliche's that are all too true<br /><br /> Gun control is more about control than guns <br />-----control on both sides, gov't and gun owner groups<br /> <br />When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns <br /><br />The second amendment is in case they ignore the rest <br /><br />Thank you all for your patience and acceptance of my humble opinions.

demsvmejm

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> "Liberal Democrats" You say it like it's an insult.
You're very astute David. That's because it is! [/QB]
This is the exact very narrow-minded attitude that I wrote about. To me, being a party following, hardline republican that can't think outside the box or without the party's approval is a greater insult.<br /><br />And NO I am not a Democrat. I'm worse, I think for myself. Baby Bush fears my kind! I look at the situation, and decide what I think is right. My mama and daddy instilled a strong sense of decency, compassion and wrong-and-right in me, and I excercise it. I am wrong from time to time. But I'm wrong because I did what I thought was right, not what a self-serving political party told me was right. <br /> I am not just another sheeple! <br /> :cool: God Bless America :cool: and you too!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br />And NO I am not a Democrat. I'm worse, [/QB]
David, I think that's what they call a LIBERAL Democrat.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I'll give up my guns as soon as the the elected elite give up their bodyguards.....

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Uh, sorry, but this particualar thread was on the membership of the NRA. It was NOT for the argument of opinions on gun control. That has been through here many times.<br /><br />Start another thread if you wish, but please keep any opinions on the control of guns to yourself or to another thread.<br /><br />Gun Deaths don't even compare to the number of deaths in auto accidents. Other than health related deaths, autos are number one with over 40,000 a year in the USA! One could almost say that those 40K accidents were preventable. More innocent people die by the car because of a failure to maintain their attention to their driving.