Non-skid surface?

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For the top of my gunwales (where people step to get in the boat), I was thinking of directly painting on some sort of non-skid type of material if it exist. If not, I guess my next option would be non-skid tape.

If anyone has had great results (or an opinion) with either or both, I'd love to here about it.

BTW my boat is aluminum and the surface area is about 4"-5" wide.

drewpster

Commander
Re: Non-skid surface?

There are non-skid additives you can put in to the paint. All the paint makers have it in some form or another. The best idea is to use the ones that the paint maker recommends. Some additives soak the paint and stay on better, others are simply encapsulated with paint and can come off. Get the stuff the paint recommends. That is if you intend to paint.
Tread tape will work if the area where it is applied is prepped well. (scuffed, cleaned) Personally I am not a fan of tread tape. It looks good on my son's skate board but it is not my favorite look for a boat.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

check out durabak. its a rubberized textured surface. im going to use it on the floor of my boat

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the grip tape, it never last. I'll check into what the paint manufacturer's have to offer and the durabak.