nominate your Favorite information thread !

oops!

Supreme Mariner
We are adding to the how to's section here on the dry dock.

So if you have a thread that you use often for reference, or one that you think should be made a sticky...

Give us the link !

EZ and I will be going over them to add to the how to's

Frisco's thread and the Hull Extension are already there.....so dont worry about those two.

Cheers guys....

BTW....Great stuff comin here for the restoration forum really really soon !

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: nominate your faveroute information thread !

i may be a bit biased, but there is a particular "how to" thread on making and sewing cushions that i like
:)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the upholstery add is a go

in the future.....when iboats has 10.000 viewers.....i expect we will be opening a full uph sub forum in the dry dock

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: nominate your favorite information thread !

you can put the montecarlo build up there if you think it will help folks.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Woodonglass has some great info, think his would be a welcome addition!

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have scanned through sooo many threads on this site. There are sooo many to choose from and all are full of information. Its seems like time and time again woodonglass's name has popped up with Great information for people. I know you guys use alot of his tags and drawings but the blue flamingo has my vote. I know I have missed many wonderful threads and I apologize for that.
Thank you to all for posting your info.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

the upholstery add is a go

in the future.....when iboats has 10.000 viewers.....i expect we will be opening a full uph sub forum in the dry dock

Just out of interest how many views does Iboats get?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

cheeta.....

just under the forums, there is a section called "whats going on"

it says how many users and members are on.....and the names of all the members.

at the time i posted this....this was the total.

There are currently 774 users online. 103 members and 671 guests

Most users ever online was 1,967, July 5th, 2011 at 03:32 PM.

over the past few years...i boats has tripled in size of people on the site at the same size.
when i joined.....the largest was 425 people on line.
we expect to far exceed 2000 by july 4th this year.

once a forum gets a certain size.....the number of users actually go exponential.
consider face book to be a type of forum....first a few people....a university.....then friends of the poeple there....then a city...

for iboats....its almost the same... once a certain number of boatrs are on....and like the site.....that number will double in short order, as they suggest the forum to thier friends.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: nominate your Favorite information thread !

One of the most informative and helpful threads is "woodonglass" "Blue Flamingo"...

He has a wealth of information and excellent information and advice for all who are restoring or even just refurbishing their boats...

There are a multitude of incredibly helpful and information rich threads on this forum and it is hard to pick any above the rest, but some of the creme de la creme are...in no particular order...

Jasoutsides...both of his restos are truely inspirational and educational
Azlo's Restore...Absolutely the Best of quality craftsmanship and attention to detail
Sleeper-6...His innovation, quality and speed are something to behold
Archbuilder's Nescher and Pontoon resto's...the amazing and innovative ways in which he approaches his resto's are a model for all to follow...

There are so many others, it would be impossible to include them all, but the beauty of this forum is the fact that so many knowledgeable people are here and are willing to take the time to share their knowledge, failures and successes, procedures and techniques...that restoring a boat to better than factory condition, has become easier and cheaper than going out and buying a brand new boat...

I want to thank all who contribute and make this site the best place on the Web to get the information needed to do these projects...

Best to All,
GT1M

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol....GT...

the body of your post is exactly what i was thinking just now.......i was thinking of making a "group hug" kinda thread.
it was because there is soooo much good info you guys have posted.

the idea of this addition to the how to's is more individual threads....on certain subjects...but there is soo many great threads !
you guys are soo cool posting stuff for other boaters that have bought a boat, and its rot. or the tin is bashed in, and the reevits are leaking.

im currently saying this not as a mod, but as a guy who joined the forum just like you.....to document what you are doing, to learn from other people that have been there done that. and to document my progress, good and bad.

ya gotta remember, when i started the hull extension, i was as green to glassing as any one......i just gained enough respect from the pro mechanics around my city that they started sending work my way.....so i started a company.....just like you would do !

you guys are steering guys the right way to a safe boat.
some people get by us on the forum. they choose to do it thier own way, and the boat suffers.

but all in all....you guys rock ! geez..... i wish i could buy you all a beer or 7.

ward

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ward,

If it were not for You and Archbuilder and Andgott and BobsGlassStream I would never have considered getting back into boats. I had em when I was "Young" but figured I was to old and was confined to the WoodShop. Fortunatley the Blue Flamingo was not a Full Gut restor so I just had to do some "Spit and Polish" This forum is Full of talented DIY'ers and I am truly amazed at the way people encourage others to try new things. I know mrdflores thread on Sewing seats caused me to buy a sewing maching and I found out I had some natural ability at that too!!! I think an Index file of threads and what they contain is a great idea for Newbies coming to the site to be able to quickly click the links and know what they contain. I'm honored to be considered to be included in it.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey oops!:

We both live in BC and I'll happily forward my address so you can send me a beer by mail! Just trying to help!

kilowatts

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I dont remember who it was but some lunatic cut his hull in half. That thread had some useful stuff I guess.

rickryder

Commander

i may be a bit biased, but there is a particular "how to" thread on making and sewing cushions that i like
:)

+1 Good stuff :D

rickryder

Commander

lol....GT...

the body of your post is exactly what i was thinking just now.......i was thinking of making a "group hug" kinda thread.
it was because there is soooo much good info you guys have posted.

the idea of this addition to the how to's is more individual threads....on certain subjects...but there is soo many great threads !
you guys are soo cool posting stuff for other boaters that have bought a boat, and its rot. or the tin is bashed in, and the reevits are leaking.

im currently saying this not as a mod, but as a guy who joined the forum just like you.....to document what you are doing, to learn from other people that have been there done that. and to document my progress, good and bad.

ya gotta remember, when i started the hull extension, i was as green to glassing as any one......i just gained enough respect from the pro mechanics around my city that they started sending work my way.....so i started a company.....just like you would do !

you guys are steering guys the right way to a safe boat.
some people get by us on the forum. they choose to do it thier own way, and the boat suffers.

but all in all....you guys rock ! geez..... i wish i could buy you all a beer or 7.

ward

Awww thanks oops............ I'll take dem beers now! :D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I'll add my .02 cents.... I am relatively new to iboats, so I am sure that there have been some great threads in the annals and archives that just haven't found yet.... So, If I leave someone off (please don't feel disrespected...I am still new to this...pm your thread as I' love to read it)... As I started to dig into iboats, there were several threads that really gave me a lot of information and the confidence to do this on my own. These are also the ones I go back to a lot for reference and guidance... So, if I could do a a hall of fame, of sorts, I would list them (not in any particular order).

1. Frisco (both glastron and sea ray)
2. Oops (hull extension)
3. Arch (miss morgan)
4. Woodonglass (blue flamingo)
5. Mike Lammert (center console; one of the few epoxy builds)....
6. Sleeper-6 (runabout to fishing machine)...
7. Bear69cude (bayliner re-build)... The imperial will be on this list when he is done...
8. Andgott's Lake N' Sea would be great (another good example of an epoxy build).

Now, these are just glass boats... What about wooden boat builds (rhtmarine's chris craft is good, but he hasn't posted in a while). Are there others? Also, I will completely defer to the metal boat guys (starmada) in particular to vote their "best builds" in terms of educating someone on how to bank rivets and stop leaks.... I am familiar with both of Jasoutside's threads and they are very informative and fun. I really like what he did with his Jet Star... I know you have Lakelover, EZmobee and many others as well.... Again, though, I am not qualified to comment as it all looks like pool noodles and empty detergent bottles to me... :)

tallcanadian

Captain

I believe oops should get kudos for his hard work as well as Friscojarrett and Woodonglass. Top quality work and very informative. Archbuilder is no slouch either. These guys keep me coming back and inspiring me to another build. I don't always reply in their threads but I keep checking in. :p

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

besides all the great amount of info and knowledge on here....there is a critical aspect that gets overlooked sometimes...the people themselves...

at some time or another, we all get a little discouraged by our rebuilds....thinking it's never going to end, or it's too far gone to fix...but then you have some of your close followers chime in to give you a little encouragement to keep going...and sometimes that's all it takes.

besides getting help with the information on how to do certain things, this has also become a great place to find other boaters in your area...every now and then, a little physical help goes a long way...and sometimes help in other ways too...out of the many threads i follow, i was following one more closely than the others, because it was teaching me alot....and then....no posts for awhile...i was going through withdrawal. I don't remember which thread it was, but it turned out their laptop keyboard was shot, probably from fiber dust, and they couldn't find one in their area...so i got their model number and found a keyboard and sent it to them so they could continue posting their rebuild....he was very greatful, but in truth, i think i was more greatful that he could keep posting and teaching.

well, i guess i've rambled on long enough. the main point i was trying to make is that some of the threads on here are the only reason that some of us feel confident enough to try to tackle a rebuild job ourselves....and trying to help others in any way is the best way i know how to say 'thank you'