Nobody fishing?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Can not wait to hard water fish two tip ups out and sit in the house and watch football. The lake I live on has a 10 pike a day limit. Too many snakes But thru the ice northern back straps are every bit as good as walleye.

I miss ice fishing. Then I think back to when my hole had frozen over and my fishin' buddy gave me a shove and I fell over with the 5 gallon plastic bucket frozen to the seat of my snowmobile pants. Snowmobile pants in 1975 was a pair of long John's and 2 pairs of track pants. I don't know what was worse, freezing to death or cleaning around 400 Perch. No limit back then. I don't know if we went for the fishing or the food, drink and too many belly laffs to count. I do miss that part for sure.

Johnny D/coming to you from the north shore of the crystal clear waters of Lake Erie. I too can sit inside and watch my tip ups if we ever get ice again on Erie, it's been years.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I once frostbit my fingers from cleaning perch that we thru out on the ice as we caught them, lesson learned.

ezbtr

Commander
Hot here too (central TX) but will prob go out this week, lake is .5 mi from my house and I CAN launch a canoe or kayak - free ;)

MRS

Commander
Went to Havasu relatives showed up for free boat rides and dinner! So only got to fish a little. Got this one when snuk out one morning.. 18#
AFA47508-1128-4480-AF77-BF10F9E3153C.jpeg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Took the week off and ran down to the honey hole (Cape Hatteras) to see of the big Reds made their appearance out front yet.

Normally I go the first week in November, but we took some friends that wanted to get in some beach time.

We caught lots of fish but nothing big. Saw a 5-6 ft. Spinner shark and a 32" Red Drum caught and released. Lots and lots of 18-20" Bluefish, Pompano, Seatrout and Kingfish around. Even caught a Stargazer....

Best catch of the week was a new Akios 757 CTM reel with a 5.5:1 gear set. A limited production reel. I had been looking to add one to my collection for sometime.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    683.6 KB · Views: 7

MRS

Commander
Love the photo always good to get new fishing gear.:)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Found a spot and got these in a hour then found a shore spot and let the dog have fun.
We have a freshwater fish in the Great Lakes we call a Silver Bass that gets to about 16" max. A very sweet meat very fresh, more than 2nd day and it's fertilizer. Does not freeze well either. Here is a good size Canadian Lake Erie Walleye or locally known as a Pikeral.

Attachments

• DSCF1617.JPG
    DSCF1617.JPG
    838.3 KB · Views: 7

MRS

Commander
Nice looking fish there Thanks for posting. I hope to get back out soon here get some fish and try making some fish jerky never made it before.

MRS

Commander
Went to a striper derby caught this if it was a catfish derby it would have been a striper!
Was still fun and lucky for the catfish he went back in the lake not the frying pan this time.

Attachments

• 2DC4F6E4-6ECE-467A-9CE2-91FCFCCD21C2.jpeg
    2DC4F6E4-6ECE-467A-9CE2-91FCFCCD21C2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

aspeck

Staff member
I have been trying to get out on the water for the last 2 months ... I have missed the stripper migration, the walleye migration, the lake trout trip to the shallows and back deep, and the crappie spawn. now, over the weekend I took my youngest to Vermillion, SD where she will spend the next 10 weeks in a chemistry research internship. On the way home the transmission in my Yukon crapped out. So, for the next several weeks I am without a tow vehicle. I can't win this year! UGH!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We haven't been fishing since mid-March. I was hospitalized twice during that time and also went to the ER three other times. :cautious:

We're also in the middle of a major home project with sub-projects, so what time I actually have (or had) is being absorbed by the project(s).

The good news is that we're planning on getting out on the water for Memorial Day weekend. Maybe we'll fish or maybe we'll just enjoy time on the water.

Either way, it's all good! (y) :cool:

Reactions: MRS

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Went Saturday with my son to a hot spot in a local river. Usually one catches huge pickerel, walleye, large mouth bass and sometimes trout. We spent about 2 hours there and it was terrible. My son caught a 12" perch, big for around here. He took it home since he never ate perch before. But the dang thing was loaded with parasites.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We're on the water now, but it's a little too crowded to fish! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 20210530_125433.jpg
    20210530_125433.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: MRS

Outlw36

Seaman Apprentice
Made it out to the lake last Sunday. Only managed to catch one fish. It was a nice fatty 20 inch Rainbow. Been real windy around here for the last several months. Doesn't go well with trolling as it keeps pushing the boat too fast, which leads to higher speed from the trolling motor to keep from getting blown into the rocks. Still better than a day at work though!