Nobody fishing?

Outlw36

Seaman Apprentice
Where are you catching them to? And on what? I'm going to try to get into fly fishing this year. Lots of brown trout and brook trout around here but only a few ponds have rainbows....I've never caught one.
I troll with a downrigger. I use a slingblade and a wiggle hoochie. I learned this method from this video.

Attachments

• 20190901_173654.jpg
    20190901_173654.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

FLATHEAD

Commander
Saw this guy yesterday. Funny he was kind of out of his element in an area with 30 foot deep water and a bank that’s like 80 degrees or better of shale rock that’s about 60 feet to the top.
First for me in this area.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I quit fishing the day my father told me I had to clean what I caught. I was 14 at the time. I the ensuing 49 yrs, I have never have a Fishing License, and have only cast a line once. After I saw a fish jump while I was steering while my cousin fished, I grabbed a rod and cast near the jump. I reeled in a large Pike, and dragged it back to the dock. Dropped the fish on the lawn and told the old man, here's dinner, but I'm not gutting it. He cleaned it, and his Girlfriend cooked it.

FLATHEAD

Commander
I quit fishing the day my father told me I had to clean what I caught. I was 14 at the time. I the ensuing 49 yrs, I have never have a Fishing License, and have only cast a line once. After I saw a fish jump while I was steering while my cousin fished, I grabbed a rod and cast near the jump. I reeled in a large Pike, and dragged it back to the dock. Dropped the fish on the lawn and told the old man, here's dinner, but I'm not gutting it. He cleaned it, and his Girlfriend cooked it.
You’re missing out. You don’t have to keep them. I release 99% of the fish I catch. At least you’re saving a bundle of $$. Fishing gear ain’t cheap.

Couldn't agree with this more. I release almost every fish I catch. It is just fun to get out on the water and chase some fish. The tug is the drug.

Ditto on that! I spent most of my fishing life in the lower mainland of BC going after trout and salmon in the various rivers in the Fraser Valley. During coho season on the Chilliwack River there were lots of fish due to the hatchery so limits would go up to 8 fish a day. 4 adults and 4 jacks so would fill up a small chest freezer then share with friends and family plus feed my young sons high quality protein a lot cheaper.

Now in northern Alberta the last 22 years I haven't been fishing lots as I don't find pike and walleye all that much fun so will be going after them mainly with the flies I'll tie myself out in my new, (to me), 12ft tinny. Too old to hike the river all day now but when I do get out to the valley to visit family and fish with my son we hit the usual spots. Much more people after many less fish these days but still a lot of fun.

Tight lines!

MRS

Commander
Ditto on that! I spent most of my fishing life in the lower mainland of BC going after trout and salmon in the various rivers in the Fraser Valley. During coho season on the Chilliwack River there were lots of fish due to the hatchery so limits would go up to 8 fish a day. 4 adults and 4 jacks so would fill up a small chest freezer then share with friends and family plus feed my young sons high quality protein a lot cheaper.

Now in northern Alberta the last 22 years I haven't been fishing lots as I don't find pike and walleye all that much fun so will be going after them mainly with the flies I'll tie myself out in my new, (to me), 12ft tinny. Too old to hike the river all day now but when I do get out to the valley to visit family and fish with my son we hit the usual spots. Much more people after many less fish these days but still a lot of fun.

Tight lines!
Hurtin, welcome and when you do get out in that tinny send in some photos.
Be safe and catch some fish 🎣.

Hurtin, welcome and when you do get out in that tinny send in some photos.
Be safe and catch some fish 🎣.

Thanks! Just getting the last of my stuff together to head out for the evening bite and get a few trout on the fly.

Yeah I did get down to the little trout lake. Trout were feeding on something but didn't like the fly I was throwing at them so other than a couple of half-hearted hits I didn't catch any but had the whole place to myself and left in a great mood.

FirstFishingTrip01.jpg

Damn loon kept swimming around the boat chasing all the fish out of casting range! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

FirstFishingTrip03.jpg

Going to try and get out to the larger lake full of pike, walleye etc this week if the weather clears up. Was going to go yesterday but was really windy with storm cells every so often. Poured buckets today but was expecting that so parked the boat in the carport last night. Rigged the tailgate on my quad trailer so one of the ramps is in the center and the tailgate is level with the bed so it should work as well as a boat trailer for getting it on and off. The bottom side of the tailgate digs into the keel when dragging the boat on otherwise.

Already thinking of getting a runabout next year so picked up a 1-ton chain hoist at a garage sale yesterday so I can get whatever motor off the boat to work on. Also got a brand new Garmin, but from 2001, hand-held GPS unit the same as my old one for $10 and they sell the same one yet today for $299 retail. Debating whether to send the old one or the new one to my grandson but not sure if he's into that kind of stuff. Could probably sell the new one for $150. Would buy a couple tanks of gas for fishing trips. ;)

Reactions: MRS

MRS

Commander
Yeah I did get down to the little trout lake. Trout were feeding on something but didn't like the fly I was throwing at them so other than a couple of half-hearted hits I didn't catch any but had the whole place to myself and left in a great mood.

View attachment 381937

Damn loon kept swimming around the boat chasing all the fish out of casting range! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

View attachment 381939

Going to try and get out to the larger lake full of pike, walleye etc this week if the weather clears up. Was going to go yesterday but was really windy with storm cells every so often. Poured buckets today but was expecting that so parked the boat in the carport last night. Rigged the tailgate on my quad trailer so one of the ramps is in the center and the tailgate is level with the bed so it should work as well as a boat trailer for getting it on and off. The bottom side of the tailgate digs into the keel when dragging the boat on otherwise.

Already thinking of getting a runabout next year so picked up a 1-ton chain hoist at a garage sale yesterday so I can get whatever motor off the boat to work on. Also got a brand new Garmin, but from 2001, hand-held GPS unit the same as my old one for $10 and they sell the same one yet today for $299 retail. Debating whether to send the old one or the new one to my grandson but not sure if he's into that kind of stuff. Could probably sell the new one for $150. Would buy a couple tanks of gas for fishing trips. ;)
Nice looking little lake thanks for sharing photos that tinny looks like the perfect setup for the lake. I bet you will get the trout next trip out there.

Nice looking little lake thanks for sharing photos that tinny looks like the perfect setup for the lake. I bet you will get the trout next trip out there.

Thanks. I got 4 off the dock there in about 90 minutes when I went a couple weeks before the boat trip. One was definitely a keeper but released without fuss.

A fish is just a bonus for me. Time hiking a river or out in the boat is what I love. Getting bit old for some of the hikes we used to do in search of salmon/steelhead on the upper Chilliwack River or other wild places but a boat seems to be a fine replacement.

I wish I was closer to the family cabin. Really nice alpine lake we built a cabin at when I was about 8. Would spend a month at a time up there every summer and loved it. Nice rainbow trout in there that were hauled up in barrels on mules about 1916. I got the family record on my last trip. When my sister and I were about 12 and 14 she caught an 18" spawner which was the longest fish and she crowed about it every chance she got. I went up there with mom and a few other family for Thanksgiving Oct. '21 which is the usual shut down for winter trip. Caught a 21.5" beauty off the neighbour's dock on a little Mepps spinner then held it up to the sky and told her, (now deceased), I finally beat ya Bev! Wish I'd caught it on my grandpa's old fly rod, bottom of pic, but got those 4 fish at that little trout lake on it a few weeks ago.

21InchTrout.JPG

Mom walking up to the back door. She turns 96 in August and still sharp as a tack.

CabinFromDock01.JPG

Feeding Whiskey Jacks sunflower seeds after a light dusting of snow.

CabinFeedingWhiskeyJack01.JPG

West end of the lake from the dock. Our cabin is about 2/3 away from that end

CabinWestEndOfLake01.JPG

Hoping to make it out there again this year around the same time.