No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

Robby,

What a great idea you had. It's amazing how that money adds up and adds up quickly when you smoke. I don't smoke myself, never have but have friends and family that do and constantly complain about the prices. Great job remaining smoke free for so long. I know when my Dad quite we were all happy. I do have to say that I chuckled at line from one of your posts about your trip to HD "I also picked up a respirator and a few other safety items."

A respirator after all those years of smoking... I don't know, no offense, it just seemed funny. I admire your drive and keep smoke free.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I got away from work early enough where I could work on the boat for a couple of hours. I am still tackling foam, but I have found that a drywall saw cutting down along the stringers and about a foot in length chunks with a flat shovel works excellent. of course some cheap child labor and a promise to put a picture of them on here helped the progress go even faster! :D I have also weighed all the foam and water I have pulled from the boat up to this point, it weighs in at a whopping 237.4 lbs. I probably have another 100 lbs or so to go. Let me say this to all the people that think foam will dry out, IT WON'T! This stuff has sat out in the Texas heat in direct sun without a floor for over a month and is still soaking wet. Once the foam is wet it will ALWAYS be wet. I also used to think that I might not go back with foam, but I can structurally see the hull flexing without it now. So going back without foam will not be an option. This boat was not manufactured with foam, it was poured in at a later date by someone, but it did add a structural value to the hull.

IMG00109-20100921-1832.jpg

Cheap labor :D , but valuable family time.

IMG00110-20100921-1925.jpg

Anyway,
Day 53 no smoking - $318.00 saved
Project total to date ( including boat ) - $553.87
Savings so far ($235.87) in the hole

BobsGlasstream

Commander

RobbyA,
Congrats on the no smoking. I need to stop myself.
Nice to see the little ones helping out dear old dad too.
Take care
Bob

sprintst

Commander

Congrats on the no smoking. The whole concept of running smoke through your lungs doesn't make much sense conceptually anyway :)

Thumbs up on the rides and getting the kids in there. They'll have a ton of fun once you're out on the water and even some now :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig, truly a classic look to her:)

I like a nice old yellow boat, and the hardtop has a ton of character. I love the idea of taking cash from bad habits and applying it to boat projects.:cool:

I '69 Merc/OMC outboard would look sweet on her, but I agree with bolting a reliable brand new outboard so that you can enjoy the boat with less hassles and carb rebuilds:D

Good luck and don't worry about posting too much, no such thing.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

So I got away from work early enough where I could work on the boat for a couple of hours. I am still tackling foam, but I have found that a drywall saw cutting down along the stringers and about a foot in length chunks with a flat shovel works excellent. of course some cheap child labor and a promise to put a picture of them on here helped the progress go even faster!

I dont know where you got the idea, but I came up with a similiar solution for foam. dry wall saw minus the child labor LOL:p

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, once that old foam is wet it stays wet. I did the same removing 450 lbs of wet foam and wet floor wood.

Looking good though great lines on the boat with the hard top.

115 or 135 hp motor on that would be really fun. That thing have a capacity plate?

zach103

Commander

i know im a little late but have you tried a crow bar for the foam.. if i rmember correctly thats what i used

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great project I love them old boats. Congrats on quitting!

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dude! You met the Gunny and the Motor City Madman? Awesome!

Here's a couple of pics from the Lake Eufaula meetup for your thread. We had a great time!

102_1672.jpg

102_1667.jpg

102_1668.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Robby, looks like you are making some progress....I think you should find a tower of power for her.....once you have them tuned they are sweet motors!

BBO stopped by this week with his video...working on putting it together, but "real" work keeps getting in the way! I should have it posted this weekend.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Robby, looks like you are making some progress....I think you should find a tower of power for her.....once you have them tuned they are sweet motors!

BBO stopped by this week with his video...working on putting it together, but "real" work keeps getting in the way! I should have it posted this weekend.

Yeah, I really like the tower of power but I like the quiteness of a good ol' four stroke.

I can't wait for the video!!!!!

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's been awhile since my last post. Not much has happened as far as the restoration of the boat, but quite the busy life and work is super busy.
I had a chance today while off to remove more of the floor, foam, and all of the transom wood. I will say that I would have rather the transom been totally rotten. Over half of the transom was solid and was a pain in the butt to remove. I will keep on keeping on when I get a chance. The weather is perfect here and work is busy, hmmmm.... time to weigh the priorities.

IMG00116-20100922-1721.jpg

Zach103, my son took your advise on the pry bar.
IMG00122-20101006-1730.jpg

IMG00123-20101006-1731.jpg

IMG00124-20101006-1732.jpg

Anyway,
Day 68 no smoking - $408.00 saved
Project total to date ( including boat ) - $690.34
Savings so far ($282.34) in the hole

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear you on the transom. Mine was 3/4 rotten, but that 1/4 was a pain in the butt to remove.

I also hear you on the time. I have my replacement transom sitting in the garage, waiting for me to make the keyhole cutout, and life has been in the way. Gonna be a nice cool weekend for once, so maybe I'll have a chance to work some more!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like you are making progress. I was lucky enough to have a completely rotten transom......took most of it out with a shop vac :D!

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

still not smoking, or updating? c'mon the weather is nice now...

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry WTR, I have hit a few bumps in the road. I have it tore down and need to order fiberglass and wood, but Christmas looms around the corner and I don't want to go in debt for Christmas. So until the first of the year it is being put up while I save money. I have had some awful tooth problems which has kind of hit the pocket book really hard but gave my dentist a nice Christmas bonus :D. I need to post how much I have saved vs. spent just to keep myself updated. I will try to get to it tonight, but the Rangers are playing and that might be halted. GO RANGERS!!!!!
I really hate having to park it for now but have no choice. I refuse to go into debt for anything, so I have to wait. :(

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Robby no big deal as life sometimes gets in the way besides there's no rush. we will just wait for an update now and then and glad to hear your still on the smoke wagon.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

correction, on the NO-smoke wagon..... but I understand the Rangers dillemma, Iv been watching the games and that has slowed me down, but also the money issue, I ran out of resin so Ive been held up, though im like willy wonka saving my pennies from every pay check and will soon have some cash for more supplies.

good luck and GO RANGERS!