No reverse after impeller replacement

I have a 1991 Rinker Captiva Cuddy 206 with a 5.7 Mag. Had forward and reverse before I pulled the lower unit off to install a water pump complete with upper pocket. I have tried the bungee cord on the prop, turning the shift rod clockwise until it locks in the prop ccw. Put grease on the upper shift rod and made sure it was in the forward position. Still no reverse. I can get reverse no problem with it off. Need help. I pulled it off and put it back on 3 times and the last time it was trying to lock in reverse so I tried to adjust the cable and now it’s back to no reverse. Anyone in the Ogden Ut area that can help? Toby

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I have a 1991 Rinker Captiva Cuddy 206 with a 5.7 Mag. Had forward and reverse before I pulled the lower unit off to install a water pump complete with upper pocket. I have tried the bungee cord on the prop, turning the shift rod clockwise until it locks in the prop ccw. Put grease on the upper shift rod and made sure it was in the forward position. Still no reverse. I can get reverse no problem with it off. Need help. I pulled it off and put it back on 3 times and the last time it was trying to lock in reverse so I tried to adjust the cable and now it’s back to no reverse. Anyone in the Ogden Ut area that can help? Toby
So with the drive assembled but not installed you're able to get all 3 gears by turning the intermediate shaft?

It started with replacing the boots and the water pump. Had forward, neutral and reverse, but when I put gear lube in the stern drive it was leaking out the wheep hole. So I pulled the lower drive off and replaced all of the water pump parts again since it was my first time doing this and with it being plastic I thought maybe I cracked it so I replaced it all.

I spun the prop, not the intermediate shaft. In forward it locked ccw and in neutral it spun freely and in reverse it locked cw

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I spun the prop, not the intermediate shaft. In forward it locked ccw and in neutral it spun freely and in reverse it locked cw
So you just removed the lower? So you're shifting gears by turning the shifter lever directly? Guessing you'd have better luck by removing the upper as well and reassembling off the boat.

When I started this feeasko I pulled everything off upper and lower. But when I put gear lube it leaked out of the weep holes. It is easier with the upper on the boat for me. Being a SEI unit, just wondering if some how something could have possibly got bent or broken. I didn’t replace the bushings in the upper for the shift rod, could they have gotten damaged causing the lever to be too loose?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
se106 is a replacement for the Alpha1 . easier to do in the stand but you can do it by just dropping the lower.
lower splined rod fully clockwise ,prop locked CCW. Control box in full fwd, install lower making sure the lower shaft is in the upper section when raising the drive up . install the front nut first by a few threads then make sure the upper shaft is in the correct position . then install the 2 side nuts, then the rest

That is how I did it. Used a bungee cord to hold it ccw so unless the shifter moved when I used the prop to turn it ccw to line up the spines, it should have been lined up. Guess I will try it one more time, it was getting hot out there in the sun and I was getting irritated to say the least.

Well I pulled the lower down just low enough for the shoe to come out of the saddle, didn't feel any excessive play in the linkage and read straight forward. Had to go to work so I will look closer at the linkage in the upper unit. The lower stern drive shaft has all three forward neutral and reverse. The linkage looking up when in forward is straight a head, neutral about 1/8 th of a turn and in reverse it is about a 1/4 of a turn. But it didn't have reverse. I may have a problem with the shaft in the upper.

Took it to Adventure Marine since I was at a loss and tired of working on it in the heat & sun. The aftermarket intermediate shift cable had too much play so they replaced it with a Sierra cable. Works great.