Next Project

zach103

Commander
Re: Next Project

Plan for tomorrow is to do some more sanding and figuring out these damn spider cracks... mount the throttle.. mount all the gauges. mount the lights. start the seat mock ups.. i may steal someones idea (gotta talk to him) . maybe get some U channel and start on the windshield... im getting close and getting pretty pumped

zach103

Commander

ok so i put all the hardware on for now.. theres a sale next weekend at a local marina so if i get get new hardware for cheap ill do it.. i have all the electrical hooked up.. steering is in.. gauges and lights are in.. net on the list is to sand the deck down really good and than paint the deck als the seat mock ups

jhcelestino

Cadet
1975 Bell Boy owner looking for Parts

1975 Bell Boy owner looking for Parts

Hello all, I just got a deal on a water worthy 1975 tri-hull Bell Boy, but am having a hard time finding parts to get it back in shape----ANY help would be appreciated. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the images uploaded.
I am looking for glove box, steering wheel (original), and the speedometer.

On another note, I was considering putting down a "Rhino" covering inside the boat instead of an "outdoor" carpet. Has anyone got an opinion or experiences with that? I thought it might save me money in the long run from replacing carpet now and again.

Also, what off the shelf paint can I use for the fiberglass body/hull? Someone told me to "roll on" a Rustoleum and with a foam roller and that works well for him---is that BS, or does that work.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers--

James

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1975 Bell Boy owner looking for Parts

No idea who is giving away the Penn Yann, but worth looking at the fittings.

Makes me wonder if the ones on the Wellcraft I gave up were any good.

zach103

Commander

Hello all, I just got a deal on a water worthy 1975 tri-hull Bell Boy, but am having a hard time finding parts to get it back in shape----ANY help would be appreciated. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the images uploaded.
I am looking for glove box, steering wheel (original), and the speedometer.

On another note, I was considering putting down a "Rhino" covering inside the boat instead of an "outdoor" carpet. Has anyone got an opinion or experiences with that? I thought it might save me money in the long run from replacing carpet now and again.

Also, what off the shelf paint can I use for the fiberglass body/hull? Someone told me to "roll on" a Rustoleum and with a foam roller and that works well for him---is that BS, or does that work.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers--

James

James start a thread for your project and you willl get the answers you need..

25th.. petzolds is having that sale if you need any parts.. their over in portland.. its the 20 and 21st..

zach103

Commander

Ok so heres the pics of the work done today..
P1100496.jpg

P1100495.jpg

P1100494.jpg

P1100493.jpg

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Been to Petzolds a lot, what kind of sale is it?

I have to check if they carry restoration stuff there.

zach103

Commander

Been to Petzolds a lot, what kind of sale is it?

I have to check if they carry restoration stuff there.

Its like an open house.. but theyll give you 5 bucks off 20 dollar purchase and alot of the parts are already marked down.. last year i got a 60dollar purchase for about 35.. .. they have a whole lot of parts.. what are you looking for

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

and what can i use to get that trailer back to a decent looking trailer

Get it cleaned up via sandblast or wire brush, the use POR 15 as the primary. It will never rust again. You'll need to paint it once you have it primed with POR 15. But that stuff is awesome. The best part about using it, is that you can brush it on, and you can paint it over rust.

It is expensive but works wonders

T

zach103

Commander

i may go with the sandblast.

heres it with the first coat of the rustoleum Gloss White.. it seems to be filling in the cracks.. a few more coats and it will be as good as new.. i already see a shine in it
P1100517.jpg

zach103

Commander

ok so after a few family vacas and work i finally got back to this.. im putting in two fold down seats for now while i search for some back to back seat designs..

I got all the cable boots on by the engine. also started putting all the wires in their final positions.. gotta go pick up the rest of the aluminum rub rail and install that than order the insert.. still have to buy a tach and a steering wheel... tomor me and the gf are gunna sand down the transom and the rest of the rough spots inside and hopefully have it ready for paint...

Still trying to figure out what im going to do with the windshield and how im going to mount it.. i may try suburban marine and see if i can get one off their many junk boats.

ill try and get some pics tomor of our progress

zach103

Commander

ok some pics of the work we have done today.. its hot out and theres no air movement in the garage so we didn't get much.. we installed the frame of the rubrail and the seats installed.. .. also i have a picture of my new toy :)

P1110565.jpg

P1110566.jpg

P1110568.jpg

P1110571.jpg

P1110570.jpg

zach103

Commander

ok little update.. ordered the rubrail but somehow i screwed up and got the wrong one.. just got a back to back seat and a steering wheel.. also found the original gas tank my grandpa bought so gunna clean that up. heres how the set up looks now.. oh and its dusty cuz ive been grinding down the edges of the of the glasss to smooth it out.

0812102041.jpg

mms_picture-2.jpg

zach103

Commander

ok next update.. decided to go to the marine store the other day.. got some marine tex to finish the transom.. fuel hose.. registration letters and i decided to get 40ft of rope to use for the rub rail.. some 5200 to hold it in.. heres a pic of the 5200 setting

0823101810.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good idea on the rope. I always thought that looked cool.

zach103

Commander

just have to go around and clean up the 5200 that had leaked onto the rail

i still dont know what i want to do with the seating.. should i cut the back to back inhalf and use it as as two jump seats in the rear and have the two fold down seats in front.. or keep looking for one more back to back?

also if anyone bumps into a windshield that will work with this tel me please.. im looking for any old school curved look