NEWSWEAK

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NEWSWEAK

Jtex<br />Your killing me,<br />You don't think these news agencies and broadcasting networks aren't losing market share and $.<br />Just look at CBS, are they not going through a small change in their news dept? uh ya, DAN<br /><br />Its blatent, the bias is there, and it hurting the old news hounds that used to have there way with us.<br /><br />Spud

Skinnywater

Commander

There's different kinds and types of bias.<br />Spud started out with one type, the bias against the present administration and it's motives.<br /><br />Then there is the bias that only the terrible, bad and negative news gets reported. Without any attempt to balance it with positive or good news.<br /><br />Further, there is the bias that there are ten left leaning newspapers to every one that is right leaning. <br />Network news is predominately left wing.<br />Communication and entertainment sources are predominately left wing.<br />The only area that is predominately right wing is talk radio. Where it is sought out by the right, and not in the publics face.<br /><br />I think to point out an individual story might be weak or "stretching it." But if it's just another little side story bias to add with the mountain of bias, it's more bias!<br /><br />jtexas, you're right it is the $$. And to back up both the bias and your own arguement.<br />Newspaper sales are down. Network news viewer shares are down. Newsweak sales will probably take a hit. And talk radio is gaining market share.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ralph says "The ideologues who work at many media companies aren't motivated by economics." I can't find any reason to dispute it; I was counting on common sense but you won't find much of that among idealogues.<br /><br />While the Washington Post Company (parent to Newsweek) reported strong year-over-year earnings growth in 2004, it was mostly in its new divisions (education and interactive). Its stock price hit an all-time high last year but currently is near its 52-week low. Newspaper subscriptions are dropping. Newsweek division earnings increased slightly thanks to stronger ad revenue in spite of falling subscription & magazine sales. [source: Washington Post Company 2004 Annual Report] Someone there is focusing on the economics, but apparently not the guys in charge of the print divisions. <br /><br />Ok, traditionally The Media is expected list a bit to port. Probably because journalists have to struggle so hard to make a living, and what is a republican except a democrat who finally got a real job (a little joke).<br /><br />Oh well, at least I got to use the word "paradigm" in a sentence.<br /><br />p.s. I thought the Lewinsky thing at least let Isikoff off the hook. the "bias" hook, I mean. He's still on the hook for that little mistake.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I thought that Islam had no idols but apparenty the Koran is an Idol. The book is made of paper so if flushed does it change the ideals and the meaning that they defend so fatalistically? Does burning the flag change the ideals that it really represents? Even the Bible is simply papper in its worldly form. By flushing or burning change the meaning behind it? <br />As I have always said, God is great, people suck.

Ralph 123

Captain

Mort Kondrake (sp) had an interesting take on that telmanmn. During the round table discussion tonight on Special Report he said that they view it almost like God - not the word of God, but actually like God. He said it is like the way Christians would view Jesus. Not statues of Jesus or anything, but as the actual living Jesus.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bottom line is that newsweak printed a story that inflamed our enemies. IMO they should be charged with treason or sedition. They aided the enemy by turning up their hate-level. By creating a reason to kill and destroy, by putting our fine soldiers in greater danger. <br /><br />I may be the only one that thinks this but I don't give a flying f*** if they do torture those fanatics. It's not like they blink an eye when they chop off a head or kill a woman, a woman that was a humanitarian and only there to give aid as I recall. Off with their heads! <br /><br />BTW Jtex, when in hell did Clinton ever get bad press. Even during the sex scandal, the press put the best possible spin on him. They trashed the women remember Kathleen Willey, Monica herself received a lot more bad press than our wonderful president who should have been held to a much higher standard. What a load of bs.

PW2

Commander

I think I understand now, Ralph.<br /><br />Wouldn't it be great if the news would report only those things that portray the administration in a positive light?<br /><br />I think someone else has tried that. It was called "Pravda"<br /><br />How'd it work out for them?

Ralph 123

Captain

Oh yes I can see how you could reach that conclusion from my posts PW. You're too good for me. You found me out. I want a State controlled media. When the power shifts back to the left and they win the Presidency, that's exactly what we'll have again and I can't wait :rolleyes:

SoulWinner

Commander

Maybe it would be nice if these liberal swine that report the "news" would verify their story BEFORE they print.......But that story wasn't news anyway, it is just another attempt by another liberal gas bag to hurt America and George Bush at any cost. This time it only cost 16 human lives. Liberals have no shame.

rogerwa

Commander

I beleive Pravda was compelled to report things in a goo dlight whether factual or not and to not mention other things were not good. This is stating it lightly.<br /><br />Instead of swinging all the way to the other end of the spectrum, assuming it is on the same spectrum, how about the press reporting something good that is happening. Anything.<br /><br />If the focus on Abu Garib and using menstruel (sp??) blood in interogations and then summarily ingoring the vast amounts of humanitarian things our military does every day and ingoring the horrors of what the terrorists do every day is being a balanced media then you need to have your head examined.<br /><br />The media does not portray the administration in a good light and, PW, I think that is OK with you.<br /><br />I am not in favor of the slant whether we are talking a Democrat or a Republican. I give special exception to Willy because I don't like the lying about Monica. The actual Monica actions are really personal but once confronted you gotta be truthful.<br /><br />The point here is that we do not want a state run media, we want a balanced media that does its job of reporting what is going on. Not an avenue for liberal 'elites'.<br /><br />One of there own, Terry Moran, from ABC stated his opinion that the majority of the press has a deep seeded anti-military view and an opinion that they must be lying. Put this on top of the overwhelming majority of journalist that vote democrat.

Ralph 123

Captain

I particularly loath Terry Moran. He is the most sanctimonious, officious, condescending SOB on the planet. <br /><br />I think a lot of these reporters are making up for their blood-lust feelings after 911. I think they hate the fact embedded reporters came to admire the soldiers during the war. I think they are out to make up for it now.

Skinnywater

Commander

Oh yes I can see how you could reach that conclusion from my posts PW. You're too good for me. You found me out.
It's not hard to figure out the left.<br />When it's an obvious fact the overwhelming liberal bias, slants, and political tactics. This is considered normal and balanced to the left.<br />When it's pointed out and discussed, the left vigorously defends that unbalance.<br />When rational people, conservative, Democrat, Republican, or otherwise, want or demand simple balance, the liberals still take issue with that expectation.

oddjob

Commander

I hear they leave (korans)them in the desert near the mexico border all the time. This idea is upsurd when its the religion hating left fueling the stupid fire?! If this really pisses them off then lets all burn some korans and vidio tape it.....I know, I know.....lets make some insults, threats to Islamic extremists and then then get busy with the decapitation of Mohammad. Upsurd also....but fitting I think.....

Ralph 123

Captain

This is considered normal and balanced to the left.
That's Goldberg's exact point SW. He contends they honestly don't even see it because they are such a homogeneous group - educated in the same places, socializing with the same people, living in the same places, etc. and they honestly think they are objective and balanced.

Link

Rear Admiral

First I can't believe I just read this whole thread :eek: <br />Skinnywater <br />
It's not hard to figure out the left.<br />When it's an obvious fact the overwhelming liberal bias, slants, and political tactics. This is considered normal and balanced to the left.<br />When it's pointed out and discussed, the left vigorously defends that unbalance.<br />When rational people, conservative, Democrat, Republican, or otherwise, want or demand simple balance, the liberals still take issue with that expectation.
You nailed it.

aspeck

Staff member

"During the course of administration, and in order to disturb it, the artillery of the press has been leveled against us, charged with whatsoever its licentiousness could devise or dare. These abuses of an institution so important to freedom and science are deeply to be regretted...." --Thomas Jefferson

aspeck

Staff member

Some Isikoff info:<br /><br />Even Michael Isikoff knows that stories advancing the Leftmedia's editorial agenda have a better chance of being published than those that do not. For example, when Isikoff submitted a report on Paula Jones's accusation that Bill Clinton, while governor of Arkansas, had exposed himself to her, his employer at that time, The Washington Post,<br />declined to run the story. Then, when Isikoff proffered Kathleen Willey's account of being sexually accosted by then-President Clinton (including plenty of evidence), Newsweek declined to run the story. Finally, when Isikoff broke the story about Clinton's relationship with a 21-year-old White House intern (something feminists used to regard as a no-no), Newsweek once again declined to run the story.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Howdy all,<br /><br />It's been a while and it seems that nobody has changed their point of view.<br /><br />First off, if they did flush a koran down a toilet what is the crime and why is it news? <br /><br />Second, perhaps it is a free speech issue. You know - burning a flag in front of returning soilders while spitting on them is a constitutionally protected method of speech.<br /><br />Third, the same people who find this offensive are the ones who would like us to pay for the privledge of seeing a christian icon, a crucifix submerged in urine and revered as art. <br /><br />Fourth, in Journalism 101 at most liberal universities are they not taught that each story must have three sources and one of them named before running a story. <br /><br />Fifth, Why would anyone have to ASK for a clarification or retraction on an inaccurate story from a responsible publication?<br /><br />Sixth, Why is it news if a soldier flushes a Koran but not when a terrorist does, or when a muslim uses a koran as a cover for an anti-personal bombs.<br /><br />Seventh, Why are all the stories that are incorrectly reported always showing the coalition in a most negative light?<br /><br />I don't know how anyone could see these stories and not believe the press leans left. They make excusses and try deflecting to other issues but when you read the NY Times or the LA Times, or Time or viturally any mass distributed publication or broadcast, and not reach the conclusion that the standards of the press are lower than whale poop and liberal in their interpretation, they have to be living on mars.