NEWSWEAK

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Perhaps your gripe would have some validity, if we knew exactly what you are refering to?..<br /><br /> "Newsweak".. kinda vague, Spud... <br /><br />Does anyone actually read Newsweek?... :confused:

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
NEWSWEAK

I'll say it again:<br />WHAT IS BAD FOR AMERICA IS GOOD FOR THE DEM'S; AND<br />WHAT IS GOOD FOR AMERICA IS BAD FOR THE DEM'S<br /><br />ARN'T YOU GUYS GETTING TIRED OF THESE IDIOTS?

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NEWSWEAK

Last report 15 dead and many injured because Newsweek, published the irresponsible story without a creditable source, and did not think what effect it might have.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Spud, ya gotta remember, all the media cares about is selling copies. They would claim the presedent is a Satanist if they had any "evidence" they could find.<br /><br />Ken

rogerwa

Commander

For those who don't know, newsweek published an article that claim interrogators at Guantanamo flushed portion of the Koran down the toilet. Needless to say, this sparked massive riots in Afghan. and other Islamic countries. Several people were killed.<br /><br />Now it turns out, Newsweek was wrong. The article was published with what can best be described as heresay.<br /><br />I have two reflections on this.<br /><br />1) We have a lot of tough issues to deal with. The irresponsible MSM makes these next to impossible. They are indirectly responsible for a lot of deaths..<br /><br />2) These islamofacists cut peoples heads off and they riot over this? Seems like a pretty weak retaliation to me. I could see this type of response if we were drawing and quartering them. Oh wait they already did that.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what's the next thing Islam can get hysterical about? It's always somebody elses fault, isn't it. And orchestrated of course.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I herd they can directly tie 16 deaths as a result of this article.<br /><br />The (left wing) media is so eager to to get bad news tied to GW, they'll stop at nothing.<br /><br />Just this last week, CBS published a story that Ken Starr was against the repubs and the actions they may have to take to get up or down votes on judge nomiees. The quotes they used were completely out of text.<br /><br />These guys think thzt the American public is so stupid and mind numb, that they can publish what ever(made up)story they want.<br /><br />well I think they are getting the opposite results they thought they would get. The American public is not stupid.

PW2

Commander

First of all, the newsweek article is not necessarily wrong--and they are investigating it.<br />Second, to suggest that this article is directly and solely responsible for these riots is a stretch, and gives the magazine a lot of influence they may not deserve.<br /><br />And third, there are only a few news organizations that actually do the digging and reporting, and all the rest simply rehash what has been reported, or take the official government line on everything. <br /><br />Do you really think we should rely solely on government approved news sources?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

PW@ yep we should reley soley on the govt. they are always right and have nothing but my and your best intrsests at heart. the govt would never ever fib, fabricate nor do anything illegal anywhere. they will tell the truth the whole truth and noting but the truth so help us God. so no worries. we can tune up a govt news channel and get noting but the whole truth and strictly facts.<br /> I do agree that quite a bit of news is most likly more speculation than actual news. seems its better to scoop another magazine than check facts.<br /> the flushing story sounded a bit suspicious once I got to the flushed the whole book part. most toilets I have used would puke if a book was flushed.<br /> I do think it was rather irresponsible to print something as a fact when its rather shadowy. <br /> spudbartlett<br /> they are not banking on the stupidity of the public,which is fairly high in matters of historical fact, they are banking on the 10 min sound bite memory.<br /> most americans have no clue how we got to this point in our history with the middle east.<br /> prior the the first so called oil crisis in the 1970's most americans were only vaguely aware that canada existed much less the mid-east. what is sad is its almost as true today. the world is shrinking daily. travel and communications are developing faster than govt,history and people can react.<br /> given our foriegn policies since the end of WWII its no wonder about the only thing they hate worse than each other is the US.<br /> but if newsweek did not report accurately and manufactured the facts I think some type of sanctions should be done. freedom of the press does not mean freedom to report anything you wish as fact. thats what the editorial pages and the opinion pages are for.

gaugeguy

Captain

"On Sunday, Afghan Muslim clerics threatened to call for a holy war against the United States."<br /><br />Another one??? What's that make, about a thousand Holy Wars they have going on against us right now?

aspeck

Staff member

KABUL (Reuters) - Muslims in Afghanistan and Pakistan were skeptical Monday about an apparent retraction by Newsweek magazine of a report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran and said U.S. pressure was behind the climb-down. <br /><br />The report in Newsweek's May 9 issue sparked protests across the Muslim world from Afghanistan, where 16 were killed and more than 100 injured, to Pakistan, India, Indonesia and Gaza.<br /><br />Newsweek said Sunday the report might not be true.<br /><br />"We will not be deceived by this," Islamic cleric Mullah Sadullah Abu Aman told Reuters in the northern Afghan province of Badakhshan, referring to the magazine's retraction.<br /><br />"This is a decision by America to save itself. It comes because of American pressure. Even an ordinary illiterate peasant understands this and won't accept it."<br /><br />Aman was the leader of a group of clerics who Sunday vowed to call for a holy war against the United States in three days unless it handed over the military interrogators reported to have desecrated the Koran.<br /><br />That call for a jihad, or holy war, still stood, he said.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> First of all, the newsweek article is not necessarily wrong--and they are investigating it.<br />
might want to check your facts on that...<br /><br /> Newsweek says Koran desecration report is wrong <br /><br />
May 15, 8:29 PM (ET)<br /><br /> <br />By David Morgan<br /><br />WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Newsweek magazine said on Sunday it erred in a May 9 report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, and apologized to the victims of deadly Muslim protests sparked by the article.<br /><br />Editor Mark Whitaker said the magazine inaccurately reported that U.S. military investigators had confirmed that personnel at the detention facility in Cuba had flushed the Muslim holy book down the toilet.<br /><br />The report sparked angry and violent protests across the Muslim world from Afghanistan, where 16 were killed and more than 100 injured, to Pakistan to Indonesia to Gaza. In the past week it was condemned in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Malaysia and by the Arab League.<br /><br />On Sunday, Afghan Muslim clerics threatened to call for a holy war against the United States.<br /><br />"We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst," Whitaker wrote in the magazine's latest issue, due to appear on U.S. newsstands on Monday. <br /><br />The May 9 report, which appeared as a brief item by Michael Isikoff and John Barry in the magazine's "Periscope" section, had a huge international impact, sparking the protests from Muslims who consider the Koran the literal word of God and treat each book with deep reverence.<br /><br />Desecration of the Koran is punishable by death in Afghanistan and Pakistan.<br />

rogerwa

Commander

Again, I ask.. They chop our heads off and we flush some pages of the Koran down the toilet. Who should be more PO'd.<br /><br />They want to hate us and are just looking for a reason.<br /><br />Another thing.. No article.. no riots. They printed some inflamitory stuff that MAY NOT have been true. In my eyes thats negligence.<br /><br />And nobody ever said we should rely on Gov't news sources.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Amazing how these clerics can trust the magazine enought to wage war one week, and the next week not trust it.<br /><br />Tell me, what would we do if they flushed the bible down the toilet, oh wait...they did something worse...CUTTING PEOPLES HEADS OFF!!!!<br /><br />Ken

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I understand that you're making a connection here:<br /><br />Rioting in Afghanistan prompted by a stupid unconfirmed story in Newsweek. And this means that Democrats are bad for America.<br /><br />Help me understand how an intelligent, rational, educated, informed person would make such a connection. Walk me through it, step by step.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

<br /> <br /> <br /> National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley said in an interview for CNN's Late Edition'' that the allegations were being investigated vigorously.'' <br /> <br /> If it turns out to be true, obviously we will take action against those responsible,'' he said.
Hold on just a minute. Is he suggesting that destroying a book is some kind of federal crime?

Ralph 123

Captain

Newsweek apologizes for Quran story that sparked deadly protests in Afghanistan<br />By Associated Press<br />Monday, May 16, 2005 - Updated: 10:57 AM EST<br /><br />NEW YORK - In an apology to readers this week, Newsweek acknowledged errors in a story alleging U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay desecrated the Quran. The accusations, which the magazine vowed to re-examine, spawned protests in Afghanistan that left 15 dead and scores injured. <br /> <br /> Responding to harsh criticism from Muslim leaders worldwide, the Pentagon promised to investigate the charges and pinned the deadly clashes on Newsweek for what it described as irresponsible'' reporting. <br /> <br /> We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst,'' Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the apology. <br /> <br /> Newsweek reported that U.S. military investigators had found evidence that interrogators placed copies of Islam's holy book in washrooms and had flushed one down the toilet to get inmates to talk. <br /> <br /> Whitaker wrote that the magazine's information came from a knowledgeable U.S. government source,'' and writers Michael Isikoff and John Barry had sought comment from two Defense Department officials. One declined to respond, and the other challenged another part of the story but did not dispute the Quran charge, Whitaker said. <br /> <br /> But on Friday, a top Pentagon spokesman told the magazine that a review of the military's investigation concluded it was never meant to look into charges of Quran desecration. The spokesman also said the Pentagon had investigated other desecration charges by detainees and found them 'not credible.''' <br /> <br /> Whitaker added that the magazine's original source later said he could not be sure he read about the alleged Quran incident in the report Newsweek cited, and that it might have been in another document. <br /> <br /> Top administration officials have promised to continue looking into the charges, and so will we,'' Whitaker wrote. <br /> <br /> Newsweek Washington Bureau Chief Daniel Klaidman said the magazine believes it erred in reporting the allegation that a prison guard tried to flush the Quran down a toilet and that military investigators had confirmed the accusation. <br /> <br /> The issue here is to get the truth out, to acknowledge as quickly as possible what happened, and that's what we're trying to do,'' Klaidman told the CBS Evening News'' on Sunday. <br /> <br /> Many of the 520 inmates at Guantanamo are Muslims arrested during the U.S.-led war against the Taliban and its al-Qaida allies in Afghanistan. <br /> <br /> In a statement, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the original story was demonstrably false'' and irresponsible,'' and had significant consequences that reverberated throughout Muslim communities around the world.'' <br /> <br /> Newsweek hid behind anonymous sources, which by their own admission do not withstand scrutiny,'' Whitman said. Unfortunately, they cannot retract the damage they have done to this nation or those that were viciously attacked by those false allegations.'' <br /> <br /> After Newsweek published the story, demonstrations spread across Afghanistan and Muslims around the world decried the alleged desecration. <br /> <br /> In Afghanistan, Islamic scholars and tribal elders called for the punishment of anyone found to have abused the Quran, said Maulawi Abdul Wali Arshad, head of the religious affairs department in Badakhshan province. <br /> <br /> Arshad and the provincial police chief said the scholars met in Faizabad, 310 miles northeast of the capital, Kabul, and demanded a reaction'' from U.S. authorities within three days. <br /> <br /> Lebanon's most senior Shiite Muslim cleric on Sunday said the reported desecration of the Quran is part of an American campaign aimed at disrespecting and smearing Islam. <br /> <br /> In a statement faxed to The Associated Press, Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah called the alleged desecration a brutal'' form of torture and urged Muslims and international human rights organizations to raise their voices loudly against the American behavior.'' <br /> <br /> On Saturday, Pakistan's President Gen. Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, both allies of Washington, demanded an investigation and punishment for those behind the reported desecration of the Quran. <br /> <br /> The story also sparked protests in Pakistan, Yemen and the Gaza Strip. The 22-nation Arab League issued a statement saying if the allegations panned out, Washington should apologize to Muslims. <br /> <br /> National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley said in an interview for CNN's Late Edition'' that the allegations were being investigated vigorously.'' <br /> <br /> If it turns out to be true, obviously we will take action against those responsible,'' he said.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never said we should rely on gov't news only, that we scare the he.. out of me, but to say that NEWSWEEK (owned by the Washington Post) is an impartial news source is absurd. These guys hate the repubs as bad as the Islam extermists hate the whole US.<br /><br />I agree, they only care about the soundbite, but they want the soundbites to be anti Bush. This has happened more than this one instance.<br /><br />How come no other newssource had this story, except the Russian's, ect.<br /><br />Do you think that the consequences of this story added fuel to the hatred that already exists wasn't thought of by this pinhead or pinheads at the Washington Post (Newsweek), I think they reveled in what happened. That is what I think is sick.<br /><br />Again, what is bad for the US is good for the Dem's.<br /><br />ARE YOU DEM'S PROUD OF WHAT YOUR SIDE STANDS FOR, AND THE ACTIONS THEY ARE TAKING?<br /><br />Spud

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

These guys hate the repubs as bad as the Islam extermists hate the whole US. ... I think they reveled in what happened.
Help me understand how an intelligent, rational, educated, informed person could arrive at this conclusion.<br /><br />Or is this just your clever way of saying "any failure by the political party in power works to the advantage of the other party."<br /><br />Or how about this: "These guys hate the repubs as much as I hate the dems."<br /><br />Honestly, you are an embarrassment to the Republican party, and we don't need any more embarrassment.

NYMINUTE

Captain

The only way to get Hilary on the ticket. Jerks. Newsweak is a RAG.