Newby on 1st restoration 77 Galaxie Mark IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Newby on 1st restoration 77 Galaxie Mark IV

read this.....all you need to know....its a long read....but every thing is there in detailhttp://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392 frisco has vids....http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=510077

With that much rot, you should do a really good inspection of your transom. I highly suspect it will be bad in need of replacement as well and you will HAVE to remove the motor ...

These guys WONT let you down. Great info & resources in each of their signature threads! Frisco may swing through and give you a hand too. Check the last 50+/- posts on Jasoutside's thread, solo lifted his motor in & out w/ overhead chain hoist, if your garage rafters or garage door header will take the weight, it might be a possiblitity. Please ignore the nonsense, we ( I ) misbehave & mess around in his thread while he's not around:eek:. Hopefully you can get your stern lower then Jas did, he pretty much had to lift the motor over his head to get it to clear the transom.....

Except the ply under your bricks, I don't have much other then:

Welcome to dry dock, hope the Admiral & the 1st Mate are looking forward to a project & enjoying it when you get done!

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

:redface:I have been reading and will continue to read for a while. There is about 2+ inches of rotton wood under the bricks and there are three sides of the fiber glass mount still holding it up. It didn't move when I took the wood out of the bottom I just didn't want it to fall while I am at work the next few days. I will be building a stand for the outboard and motor I liked the combo I saw in one of the threads earlier. So I guess that is the next step I will continue taking pictures. Quick Question... Will epoxy or fiberglass cure at temps below 30 degrees. It doesnt usually get colder than that around here. Raliegh area NC. but with Febuary coming,I am sure it will get cold because I don't like the cold and it looks like I will be out side alot this year. Thanks for the advice I am awed by the project of adding length to a boat. Not for me...

jbcurt00

Staff member

The short answer to <30, is NO, but oops will swing back by & give you the long answer to yes you can work <30.

Check the index at the front of oops' thread use it to answer some questions...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No you should not glass at temps below 50?. However, you can use a tarp to make a tent over the area being glassed and use heat lamps or radiant heat to heat the area to the 50? range and maintain it for and hour while the resin sets and cures. Note: You should not use open flame heat in the presence of resin. The fumes could be flammable. Both the resin and substrate must me at the temp to be successful. You can mix the resin inside and then hurry and get outside under the tent to do the glass work. Be aware that Poly Resin has a very unpleasant odor and mixing inside is NOT a pleasant experience.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

Well A friend of mine has loaned me an Engine hoist and is willing to help me get the motor out of the boat this week end hopefully. I have read about epoxy on here. Would it be better for closed spaces? or are the fumes just as bad for you just not as smelly. I am toying with the idea of putting the boat in the garage but I don't think the door will close all the way. I have a torpedo heater that I could blow into the garage to keep warm air moving through. I am just concerned that the vapors may find there way to the heater. Does the epoxy have the flammable vapors too? I know I am a few weeks out for that but i hope to be doing it mid to late Feb. at the latest.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Epoxy has less odor than Poly but it should still be used in a ventilated area. If you use the torpedo heater I'd recommend that the garage door be lifted a minimu of 6" to allow air circulation. I'd still recommend tenting the area to be repaired and using heat lamps and NOT the open flame heater.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

:facepalm:Well the weather was bad today so my friend didn't make it to take out the motor. I have looked a little but is there a thread that details the removal of the outboard and motor? I looked in the motor area but didn't see it right off. Any help would be great. I plan to start that on Tuesday the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise. I didn't see any bolts on the outside so I assume they are inside. What do I need to unhook other than gas and electric? Thanks

Last edited:

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

:confused:I am cleaning out the floor and stuff and I got to the side panel that has the throttle/gear selector attached to it. I am trying to get it off so I can remove the panel. I see two cotter pins that hold the two cables from the back of the boat. If I remove them is it a pain to put it back in? or is that the way to do it? I will post the pic.

Attachments

• P1250032.jpg
    P1250032.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1250039.jpg
    P1250039.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member

Doesn't the handle & cover come off like a car window regulator? You can put a small hole through the side panel, pass the post for the handle through the hole, put the cover on over the post & reattach the handle??

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

Well the worst case scenario is upon me. I removed the stringers and at the transom the wood was rotten. It only goes up about 12 inches from the bottom. It almost looks like someone has replaced the bottom part of the transom before. is this possible?? Is it something I should do? The rest of the transom appears to be ok. I still haven't taken out the gimble bearing peice.(I forgot what it is called.) I will remove it on the next clear day that I can get out there. The wood looks like it is 2 layers of 1/2 inch plywood. I don't know if I need to go deeper or if that is the outside of the transom. It seams like that would be to thin. does this sound fishy? I am including pics I hope you can tell what they are. the last pic is a pump that is attached some how to the floor or transom. I am not sure how to remove it. I don't want to break it. Does some one know how to get it out? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

while that wood in picture may not be completely rotten, it looks soaked to me, plus replacing only half will give you a weak point in the transom, never a good idea!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tear it all out and replace it all. IMHO there is no such thing as 1/2 a transom.:rolleyes:

jbcurt00

Staff member

while that wood in picture may not be completely rotten, it looks soaked to me, plus replacing only half will give you a weak point in the transom, never a good idea!

^^^ yep ^^^

Check out PMC's thread. I think he has decided at this point to 'just' put plywood in around the keyhole (where the outdrive sticks through the hull) and glass it in, and 'only' glass the left & right sides of his transom. But w/out the wood, he'll put on extra multiple layers of glass. He is installing a different motor/outdrive setup then what was originally in his boat. His transom has compound curves, curving both left & right across it, and up & down. The curves are why he's putting wood in the center & 'glass only on the sides of his transom.

Pull all the wood, you will regret the wasted effort when you have problems again down the road as JDA & WOG suggested above. I am fortunate that I have a fairly small cross section of transom, and the factory installed the transom wood AFTER the floor deck, so I will do likewise.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I will pull all the wood. When I get the center piece off I will know how thick it is. So to make sure I understand... I cut out all the wood and replace it with two sheets of plywood glued to the outer skin of the hull. Is there a minimum thickness for these, might I need more than 2 sheets? And what type of plywood? I thought I read both ways, Marine grade and non treated with epoxy covering. I think I read or heard marine grade is harder to get the fiber glass to stick to it???? I think I am leaning toward epoxy anyway for less fumes and stronger boat. Am I forgetting anything? I will go back and look at the threads you guys sent me earlier. Thanks did anyone have an idea about the pump in the floor? It feels like it is stuck to the floor or bottom of transom. It has to come out I just don't like to break things if I don't have to.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member

It looks like the bilge pump, to pump the bilge water out. It is probably screwed down. It would probably help to get the debris & leaves as well as the snow:facepalm: that way you can see what your working on... It is probably frozen down onto the bilge area. Mine was in the garage for 2 weeks and still had frozen wood pulp/mulch & debris frozen onto the stingers.

You need to get the info off the motor & outdrive, and do a search for transom thickness & specs. It is VERY specific for how much variation it will tolerate & still function properly. It must also be exactly flat & exactly perpendicular to the center line of the boat. See PMC's thread, he spent a lot of thread space showing how he prep'd for and properly aligned his transom. W videos & pix.

Friscoboater & Oops all have info to answer some of the questions you asked as well....

READ READ READ

I spent the better part of a month lurking, reading & learning before I ever started just the tear down in on mine. Not done with that yet. Half of the time I spend on iBoats now is continuing to read about how others are working through their restorations, the other half is keeping up w/ projects I'm just generally interested in, looking for interesting new projects that are joining iBoats, and also looking for ways/ideas to help me keep my project moving forward & how to get those things accomplished. That plan is continuing to evolve almost daily.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This ^^^ is the best advice you can get. Educate yourself here on the forum. I know you are in a hurry to "Git er Dun" but you don't want to do something that you will later regret. Friscoboater really expains how to do and I/O transom about as good as it can be explained. Pics and Videos. You WILL know what to do if you study his rebuild. Your transom MUST be installed at precise angles and thicknesses to match your outdrive. JBC is spot on with this advice. You must investigate this and make absolute certain that you have this down pat. Not room for error here. It is NOT hard, just need to be precise.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi ifalk. You are correct that you need to remove all the old rotten wood, but you don't attach the new transom to the outside of the hull, you fiberglass it back in place on the INSIDE of the hull. You'll probably have to cut/grind out the old tabbing holding the rotten transom in place. Once it's removed you then reinstall the transom on the interior and glass it back in place. You're also right about laminating two sheets of high quality exterior grade plywood (or marine if want) together to get the desired thickness. You can glue it together with an adhesive such as PL 400, or you can just use the epoxy that you're going to coat the new transom with and thicken it a bit. Happy grinding! Good luck!

btw........you MUST get a quality respirator for yourself or you'll be breathing in fiberglass particles for days. Seriously, DO NOT skimp on this item above all others. A full body jump suit would be a good idea too. You're getting ready to make a heck of a mess.

This is what you need to look like before you start any grinding. Look at post #52.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=527157&page=3&p=3616631#post3616631

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

I know I saw it on here some where but I just don't seem to be able to find it today. Where do I find the info on removing the transom plate and stuff so I can get the old wood out? Maybe I am just blind today. I have spent 2 hours looking and I am sure I skipped over it somewhere. Thanks for any help I can get. I will try to get it out tonight if I can so I can start the removal process on Wed. It is supossed to be high 60s Wed. Thanks again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Like I said before You really need to educate yourself on what needs to be done before you go any further. This is one of the best educations you can get... Start here for your transom...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460&page=10
But you really should take the couple of hours required and read and watch all the videos contained in this thread. When you are done, You will know everything you need to do to restore your boat.

lfalk

Seaman Apprentice

Please don't mis understand. I am reading and watching videos. I finally found the thread I was looking for. I found it on Friscos You tube section. I have watched and read all about it. I just like to review the individual steps prior to doing it to refresh my memory. I just couldn't remember where I saw it. I started doing this after I thought I had it in my head and missed putting the motor in drive before attempting to remove the outboard. I came back inside and saw what happend and fixed it. I still had to pull the motor to get the out drive off as it was in a bind from collapsing front motor mounts. But i realized after reading so much I was forgetting some simple and maybe important steps. Thanks for the thread. here are the pics of my motor and out drive. I have some rust on the universal joints but the grease came out clean. Should I be worried about that? I can work on the motor stuff when it is raining or to cold out side.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.