Newbie Questions About Project Boat

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Newbie Questions About Project Boat

Dumb question, what is a cradle? I'm on two bunks and two keel rollers right now.

This is mine.
DSC04285-s.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Trying to replace your transom with the cap on, would be a real PITA. Since you've come this far in Cap Removal, I'd advise you to pursue completing the task. It makes the restoration process 100% easier.

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@JB- Great points, in light of what you said, I don't think it's practical or even possible to replace the transom with the cap on.

@Wood- I am going to keep working on removing the cap. You are right, it will make the rest of the job easier, particularly the center stringer.

@Baker- That is a nice cradle, I will probably construct something like that for mine.

One thing I am not sure about is the plywood that runs up the inner walls of the boat vertically and meets the cap. What is in between that wood and the hull, flotation foam? I am wondering if that is what is holding up the cap from breaking free. Is the plywood itself adhered to the cap? Otherwise, what would be supporting it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

We're gunna need pics so we can see what you see. Not sure I've seen a Tri-hull with plywood sides.:confused:

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We're gunna need pics so we can see what you see. Not sure I've seen a Tri-hull with plywood sides.:confused:

I will post pics as soon as I am back at the boat. I assumed it was glass over plywood because there were vinyl covers screwed into them, but it could be something else. Is it more likely that it's glass over foam, or something else?

Last edited:

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, planning to run a drywall knife to see if I can free up any sealant that may be between the hull and the cap and the inside walls and the cap. Maybe that's what's hanging it up.

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still struggling to free up the cap between the windshield and the stern. I think what's holding me up is floatation foam between the inside wall of the boat and the hull, adhered to the gunwales. Here is a pic of the side wall where you can see it looks like they put up some thin panelling and then injected foam between it and the hull during the manufacturing process. That foam seems to be acting like a glue to keep me from being able to free it up.

There is also a fair amount of foam flooded into the boxes that sit on either side of the tank. This foam I believe is adhered to the splashwell and holding it down as well. Here is a pic of the penetration in the splashwell where the steering cable comes through. You can see the flotation foam inside.

And here is a pic of the box below the picture above. They are completely filled with foam and as you can see from the picture above, the foam goes all the way to the bottom of the splashwell. I have pulled some of this foam off in other locations and it is has very strong adhesion properties. I was surprised. Now I am just trying to figure out how to free up these different locations where the foam is acting like glue without butchering the boat up.

tallcanadian

Captain

I hope you don't mind me following along. I just found this thread. Another great tri hull.

tallcanadian

Captain

The cap on my boat was actually bonded to the transom. The good thing it was only resin and with a little force, it all broke free. The foam maybe holding it, and you may have to cut it away. I had to get underneath the splashwell and start digging between the splash well and transom. You can see some of the globs of it left in this pic. It may give you an idea of what to look for.