New waterline

Joker757

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys. Well I've got all the bottom paint removed and working on some minor repairs. Based on the picture of the boat in the water it looks like the old line wasn't high enough at the stern and too high at the bow. Should I establish a new waterline based on the photo? If so any tips on how to tape it off so it's straight, symetrical and the same on both sides.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 0

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New waterline

If it came from the factory like that I would repaint exactly where it was. Personally, it looks great to me. If you don't like how you can see the bottom paint, why not match the new bottom paint to the rest of the hull. Nice boat. :cool:

Joker757

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't really mind the look. After looking at pics of other boats it looks to be fine. Any tips on how to make the tape line nice and straight? I have the measurements at certain intervals down the hull and all the paint is gone. So now there's no line to follow with the tape. Don't want to end up with a wavy line. Thanks for the compliment. She's 11 years old now and I'm giving her a total work over. Next winter I'd like to paint the topside and replace the headliner in the salon area.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's a straight line, stick it to one end and maybe have someone hold it with a finger so it doesn't come off. Then walk with the tape away from the boat a few feet and get a visual on your other end point. Stretch it slightly and gently tape it to that point. Smooth it out by hand and whammy.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it's a straight line, stick it to one end and maybe have someone hold it with a finger so it doesn't come off. Then walk with the tape away from the boat a few feet and get a visual on your other end point. Stretch it slightly and gently tape it to that point. Smooth it out by hand and whammy.

use a chalk "snap" line to mark it

Bondo

Staff member

Based on the picture of the boat in the water it looks like the old line wasn't high enough at the stern and too high at the bow.

Ayuh,... It appears your boat is gaining weight,...

Ya might wanta figure out Why that is....

Joker757

Petty Officer 2nd Class

most likely the line was established with little to no fuel and cargo. Bilges always pretty dry.