New to Boats what a way to start!!

rickryder

Commander
Re: New to Boats what a way to start!!

Your in for a learning curve! Like the guys said....Clean out the boat open up the deck and take pictures! We can help you through this but we need as much info as possible :D To cut out your deck use a circular saw set your depth 1/2-5/8" deep. The fuel tank may be under the deck so cut with care. As far as the deck connection at the gunnel's (sides of boat hull) I use a 4" angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut along where the plywood ends.......even if you keep back 6'' off the sides to start.

Welcome Aboard!

jonesg

Admiral

No title, no registration. No registration no boating.

Don't touch it yet, don't spend a penny.

The original owner can legally tow it out of your driveway, you don't have the title, he does.
You don't actually own it. Even if you spend $4K on upgrades. The title is everything.

I bought my boat cheap without a title, it was fairly simple to remedy in MA, other states make it quite difficult.
You'll be needing some paperwork from the storage place that documents the legality of their transfering it.
They could just ignore you if they feel like it. Tell us you at least paid $1 and have a bill of sale. :(
Legally, the storage yard is better off giving it away than selling it for a penny.
They can claim it vanished and walk away from any entanglements.
Storgae operators know the law and how to operate.

My guess is you'll have to track down the PO and approach them for the title or previous registration.

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

Fairly easy here in Ontario, I just need to either have a letter from the storage facility or an affidavit to change ownership, and even less to register it for the water. The trailer was a no brainer and done, I just went the homage trailer route to plate it. Well the rough part is that I started to pull up the carpet and found there is definitely rot!! The previous owner patched a hole under the steering and dash and the bow with ply wood just laid across and over top the old decking. I can?t say for sure but the Transom seems solid and strong (lamer opinion and no experience to go by) the bow sitting down issue. When I pulled up the floor there is a block of ice in there and evening sitting nose up in the garage it is not melting fast. SO what are my options I obviously have to melt the ice? Will this have caused any other serious damage? I will post pictures of the mess. Thanks

Ram Chnadra

Banned

There are some people who buy the boat in order to start the rental business of sailing boats; this sailing boat reviews platform is also designed for them. At this place they will find the reviews of sailing boats that are written just after getting the real facts and figures.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

^^^ What? ^^^^ What the hell is this guy talking about?:eek:

rickryder

Commander

I would say the damage is done. Try to heat up the garage and let it thaw....your going to be ripping everything out so don't worry about some water in there. Post pics and we will walk you through it.

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

Hi and Thanks again for all the post so far. I have a concern, there is a strong umm(chemical) smell from the boat, It does not smell like gas, more like a varsol, or thinner smell, that I can not put my finger on. I have opened the fuel cap and it smells like gasoline, not the same smell. Any Ideas of what it could be?? I am concerned because it is in the garage. I did not smell it in the fall, just since its been really cold.

jonesg

Admiral

When gas goes sour it really reeks , like a sweet sickly smell. There may be residues of old fuel in the bilge.
Some kitty litter will soak old spills up and take care of the stink.
I wouldn't smoke around it until you can run a hose and flush it outside.
If it smells dangerous push it outside.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hmm..lets see here..

Frozen popsicle rotted out boat..now thawing.. bound to be some bad smelling stuff going on there lol..

Did you ever get that elusive Title yet ? I still cant believe that even Onterio will hand out Titles on a whim..There is no legal precidence that the storage place had to just "give" you a boat without aquireing it first through some kind of lien ?? First they tried to sell the thing..now they needed space ? I dont know many storage places that are running out of space enough to start giving away cars and boats ! The PO owes them money..they take boat..but someone has to legally transfer ownership right ? .. I dunno..

YD.

YD.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Doc, I would guess the storage lot had the owner sign a contract when the PO dropped the heap, i mean boat off for storage. Most contracts for storage state that if you don't pay your bill you are effectively abandoning the property and they own it free and clear. That agreement along with an affidavit from the storage lot should be enough to get a new title.

Willyclay

Captain

SO what are my options I obviously have to melt the ice? Thanks

I prefer an parabolic radiant electric heater to focus heat on a specific point. It doesn't waste a lot of energy heating the surrounding air. Glad to hear the ownership and registration issues can be easily overcome. Good luck with the project!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

No I do understand the contractual agreements of Storage facilities...however burden of proof would be from the storage vs the owner. That burden of proof could be currently in dispute from the PO ( you would never know if you dont look it up ). Now lets say that dispute is over..then the court would transfer ownership to the storage with a court order.. they cant just start giving away things just because the contract had been breached ? right ?

It would be like saying you stored your 67 porche there..and something got messed up in the billing ( lets even suggest you Didnt pay your storage so now your breach of contract says they can sell your belongings ) I dont think that will hold up in court without a transfer of ownership. Can they really just Give your car away the day after you breached contract ??

I dunno..

YD.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW Glad I asked!! The guy wants what is owing for storage I think 1500 with the ez load trailer motor ect, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like I should walk away?

My first post here was a similar question. Guy I know was selling a 1993 Sunbird corsair, seems like a good boat and all but after a few replies here I found out that parts might be hard to find. So rather than spending the $ I decided to wait for something else. They probably saved me a lot of future headaches.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Spam bot above.

Iboats has a little info on the boat (if that is the same one).

http://www.iboats.com/Peterborough__2042_Citation__1976/bp/64b65258r1

The deck and transom need to all come up. Just spend a day reading this forum, you'll get a good idea how to go. If you have a fair bit of time to work and the motor turns out OK, you could be on the water by the time the weather gets better up there.

But yeah, don't buy anything until you check the motor and pull out enough deck and such to see how much work you have to do.

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so here are the pics of the boat in the "state" it is in at the moment!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48914391@N08/

and I took some video you can see here
video 1

http://flic.kr/p/9nZf2g

Video 2

http://flic.kr/p/9nZ3Rk

So as I showed in the vide the bow link eye(not sure of the technical name) has to be fixed as well, and I showed where there are some spider cracks in the stern anyway hope that is enough to show my present situation, and to get me into the right path thanks in advance guys!!!

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

Ok so here are the pics of the boat in the "state" it is in at the moment!!

and I took some video you can see here
video 1

http://flic.kr/p/9nZf2g

Video 2

http://flic.kr/p/9nZ3Rk

So as I showed in the vide the bow link eye(not sure of the technical name) has to be fixed as well, and I showed where there are some spider cracks in the stern anyway hope that is enough to show my present situation, and to get me into the right path thanks in advance guys!

So I added one more video I actually could not see this spot by looking normally, but i stuck my video camera back into the bilge and this is what I saw!!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bx...tNTg5Ni00ZDNiLTllODMtNzY0YTA4ZTViZ DI3&hl=en

[video]https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxTa8Y-EFIJdMzI2N2Y2NTktNTg5Ni00ZDNiLTllODMtNzY0YTA4ZTViZ DI3&hl=en[/video]

Last edited:

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

Hmm..lets see here..

Frozen popsicle rotted out boat..now thawing.. bound to be some bad smelling stuff going on there lol..

Did you ever get that elusive Title yet ? I still cant believe that even Onterio will hand out Titles on a whim..There is no legal precidence that the storage place had to just "give" you a boat without aquireing it first through some kind of lien ?? First they tried to sell the thing..now they needed space ? I dont know many storage places that are running out of space enough to start giving away cars and boats ! The PO owes them money..they take boat..but someone has to legally transfer ownership right ? .. I dunno..

YD.

YD.

We technically just have to have the boat licensed for safety reason when it is below a specific weight and for pleasure craft. For that I just bring either letter from the storage place or an affidavit to the MTO locally and that?s it. Ownership I have to have the letter from storage that it was abandoned, or I can get an ownership that route as well.

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

No I do understand the contractual agreements of Storage facilities...however burden of proof would be from the storage vs the owner. That burden of proof could be currently in dispute from the PO ( you would never know if you dont look it up ). Now lets say that dispute is over..then the court would transfer ownership to the storage with a court order.. they cant just start giving away things just because the contract had been breached ? right ?

It would be like saying you stored your 67 porche there..and something got messed up in the billing ( lets even suggest you Didnt pay your storage so now your breach of contract says they can sell your belongings ) I dont think that will hold up in court without a transfer of ownership. Can they really just Give your car away the day after you breached contract ??

I dunno..

YD.

3 months unpaid and technically the storage have the right to auction or sell to recoup cost. They have to make an attempt to contact the owner to pay up to date but after that my understanding is that?s all she wrote.

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

Soo, I have been doing some research, and I am debating on using seacast for the stringer work, when and if I do it(Motor will be the deciding factor)anyway, It looks as if it would be quite solid and cost effective. Is it less expensive than wood? I also have seen a lot on pourable foam is this a must, or is it just for strength under the deck? I know I have a lot of questions all over the place, but I am trying to make myself a game plan and see the big picture. I also am looking at a good time not a long time scenario I realize I can increase the life of the boat if I do it properly, but for this season I may just do the Stringers and deck but not sure. Also do I have to remove the cap to do the stringer and deck work, or can I get away with doing it as is? Again I know that is a lot of questions all over the map, but I appreciate any help.... ;)