New to Boats what a way to start!!

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have any Idea where to start to make sure this boat is water worthy? I aquired this boat from a storage yard it was abandoned. PICKED IT UP FOR FREE WHere to start arrrg HELP! Its a Peterborough citatation no seats, have no idea condition of floor or frame ect. No obvious tears in the hull but unknow. I am so new to this any help would be MUCH appreciated!!
Thanks

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New to Boats what a way to start!!

...I have no Idea the Year or any other details. Also if anyone knows if I should buy or make seats, get used ones?

Thanks again guys!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wow..

Welcome aboard...

Before you start worrying about seats and other such things..I have to say your "I don't know about the condition of the frame (?) and floor (deck..ahem)
comment is scaring me
How can you even think of any $$$ without seeing if the deck is weak or the transom is rotted?
I really would have to say 100 bucks would be fair..For HIM to PAY you to haul it away

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Odds are that boat will have to be gutted down to hull & have new stringers, deck & transom. Check compression on motor, see if it turns over, but only once cuz you can damage impeller. Looks like a $100.00 boat that needs $1,000.00-$2,000.00 worth of work not counting motor or labor involved. Doing it all yourself can get you a great, in new or better condition, boat. Reading through the restoration forum & search stringer, deck, transom replacement to see what you'll be getting into. Johnsons are great motors with easy parts availability.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That COULD be a great motor. The rest is probably trash. Fiberglass boats with wooden decks, stringers, and transoms don't hold up well to being neglected out in the weather.

Willyclay

Captain

Does anyone have any Idea where to start to make sure this boat is water worthy?

Welcome to the iboats.com forum! The experts here, which I am not, can help you with any issues concerning your project. Before you invest any money or additional time, you should check with the proper authorities regarding the requirements for clear ownership, registration, title, etc. for the boat, motor and trailer since it is "abandoned". Better to find out sooner than later. The forum members will guide you through every step. Good luck!

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The motor aside.

I wouldn't haul it off sitting bow down like that for who knows how long.
I have actually turned down a couple in that condition.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Walk away from that boat. The thing should be FREE, and then it will cost you thousands of dollars and countless hours to get it water ready.

There are many used boats for sale that have good hulls and interiors, but bad outboards or inboards and would make a much better project than that rotten hull.

If you want to be on the water sometime in the next few years, look for another boat.

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

I dont want to be a buzz kill....buuuuuut ......you didnt mention your skill level......I myself am a dreamer and see potential in every boat....but as I restore my 25 yr old Wellcraft ( with very little knowledge of how to do so ) I see the spendometer going up and over what I could have bought.... a much newer boat for in much better condition.....and......I could have been boating this summer...instead....the restore continues and I have my sights set on next Spring........When it is all said in done I will have spent 4 to 5K........on what I thought was going to be a cheap purchase......hell...I spent $500 on the trailer before I could even think about the boat!!!!!! Another thing to consider is do you have a place to store and work on the boat....long term..............All that being said.....if you have the skill level, and you get the boat for next to nothing.....and you want to learn.....there is no better way to learn about boats.......if you want to go boating with girls in bikini's.......walk away from this rotten rig....save your money.....buy a boat that just needs a ( little ) TLC........

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to Iboats, the best source for rookies needing help in getting their boats rebuilt.

I too have the boating bug, had boats all my life but never "worked" on the hulls. I can fix a lot of things and don't get intimitaded to easily. This site has done wonders for me and it can you to if you feel inclined.

That's a great looking boat. Only problem would be if you were attached to it or not. If you like a challenge and like the boat and have time, go for it. you'll probably be doing a complete hull rebuild. Just an FYI it is not hard work, just lots of it. I found myself with a boat I enjoyed but started taking on water. Fast forward, bare hull being rebuilt with new wood and glass. Having never taken on this size of project seemed overwhelming, but small steps make it much easier.

I like the look of this boat. If you have a place to store it, (others even work on them outside under tarps, just be creative, and take it slow you can make this a great boat again.

Do an evaluation like the guys above have said. See if the transom flexes, walk on the deck and check fror soft spots. But the only really way to check it would to do drill pilot holes and check for wet wood. Also check the engine.

Best of luck to you. Keep the faith. If this seems like to much of a project, there is probably another boat right around the corner waiting for you.

The guys here are great. Check out my link in my signature.

Sail on...tink

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

WOW Glad I asked!! The guy wants what is owing for storage I think 1500 with the ez load trailer motor ect, but from the sounds of it, it sounds like I should walk away? I really liked the boat and the outside seemed ok did not want to take the covers off because they are dry and I would not be able to snap them back on. There is alot of stuff inside but again i am unsure of the condition of the rest. I am good at fix it yourself stuff and like a good project but thanks for the input! FYI I dont know if thais changes anything but I have a small engine guy that will take care of the motor part, I just didnt know I should be looking at the inner parts of the hull.

Thanks again

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

1500? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Seriously, as the guys have said, it is a nice looking boat. Would be worth fixing up. But you CERTAINLY don't pay for it!!! That's like $150 tops.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Simple assessment from the photos:

1) Trailer looks to have some serious rust issues. Requires full sanding/sand blasting, paint and probably some metal welded on. Plus most likely tires are dry rotted, bearings probably need replacing from rain water leaking in and rusting bearings.

2) All vinyl covers are brittle and not usable. Once you bend them a few times, they will be in pieces.

3) Been sitting outside, nose down, so water has leaked in around the windshield frame, and is probably puddled in the bow, rotting the front floor and stringers.

4) Gel coat condition is hard to tell from the photos, but generally, after sitting outside for a long time, its probably started to powder.

5) The mold and mildew present indicates that most if not all the decking is probably rotten, probably the stringers too.

6) Considerable work on the outboard. Condition is unknown, so assume the worst. Humidity and condensation can cause pistons/rings to rust/corrode in the cylinders, among other things.

More often than not, boats that are abandoned were abandoned because the owner determined the amount of work and money to make/keep it usable is more than the boat was worth at that time. Since then, it has degraded considerably.

Look at boats on Craigslist in your area. When you think you have found a few project boats in fair condition, post them and we will give you our assessment. We love Craigslist ads!

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

...Thanks alot for all the info... I am so glad I posted you guys are great!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Looking at the pictures and knowing she has been sitting in a storage yard, nose down for years....

The father in me is saying

"Son, that is not the right girl to marry, she may be fun for a while, but watch out, she will take all your money and leave shirtless and barefooted, there is another girl out there, just made for you!"

sigh!!!

"But if you decided to take the plunge we will support and stand behind you anyway we can!"

:eek:

:D

redfury

Commander

I made the mistake of falling in love with the first boat I saw ( check my links ) and shrugging off all the problems I could see...nose down, chalky gel coat, rotted interior, no trailer or motor. I kick myself for not shopping around and looking to see if I could find better ( I could have easily ).

Unless you can get a rippin' good deal on the boat, like get it off his hands for practically nothing, junk the boat, keep the motor and trailer and find another hull, or sell it all individually after you get it fixed up and make a small profit...

I'd keep an eye on your local craigslist. I've kept my eye out for a motor for my boat for 2 years and have seen really good looking outboards for good prices come through the list over and over again, as well as people selling them for outrageous prices for unknown conditions. Keeping an eye on what is selling will give you a good idea of what is fair for pricing, and what the availability of what you are looking for is. I could have picked up the EXACT boat I am working on in great shape, with motor and trailer for $1500 a couple of years ago.

Gemmini

Seaman Apprentice

We?ll have not posted, in a bit held out, but ended up with boat........Deep breath I picked it up for nothing, I mean really for free!!! I guess something came up and they needed the space. Anyway the trailer is actually not so bad, even all the lights worked!! As for the boat, well..... It must have been winterized initially, but time does take a toll... The guy that had it just said he was too old to boat anymore and I guess he got behind on his fees and here we are. Ok so i will break it down from what I know so far and will post pictures for help

1. It seems that the floor is definitely coming up and I have started this process
2. All the electrical is working aka lights and gauges dash lights etc.
3. The hydraulics for the motor and trip all work great and as far as I can tell there is compression in the motor. (I have a buddy who will look at the engine so not so much my worry)
4. Ok the problems...Have no idea what I am looking for, or what I am doing I am sure the decking is coming up but have no idea how to un attach from the edge where it is glassed or what do after that.. The boat is a 1976 Peterborough Citation from what I can tell, but I cannot find one picture or reference to this boat other than what is here (not a lot)

I have no Idea about the transom, or my concern the fuel tank (aluminum I think) outside of that some advice would be great as to a start point. I am a hand guy, but no less than nothing about boats!!

Thanks in advance

Willyclay

Captain

I have no Idea about the transom, or my concern the fuel tank (aluminum I think) outside of that some advice would be great as to a start point. I am a hand guy, but no less than nothing about boats!! Thanks in advance

Congratulations, I think! I remember how proud I was of my first boat which was pulled out of a ditch and hauled home in the back of my neighbor's P/U. You know there is no such thing as a "free boat", right? I repeat my earlier suggestion that you make sure it is legally "your boat, motor and trailer" that can be registered with the authorities before you spend any money. The forum has numerous threads of members who have been through the same challenges and will help you solve most problems. Good luck!

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would wait till I got the lowdown on the Motor before I spent any money on it. The motor will be the tipping point between keeping it and being able to buy a working boat for less than what you will spend to make this one good. Seats and upholstery are not cheap. The frame and floor,stringers and deck,will probably be shot. If you are doing that the transom should be done as well but sitting nose down, you might get lucky. You could be into your free boat for 5 grand by the time it's done. The trailer is worth money so until I got the word that's where I'd start. If the motor is no good you can part it out or you'll need a trailer to get it too the scrap yard. Tilt the boat nose high and pull the plug at the back and let us know how much water comes out. More pics of the overall boat would be good as well.