New to boats and confused

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New to boats and confused

:welcome: aboard, I bought my boat for $500, without a floor. I knew it needed work, but the trailer and motor where in excellent condition. I had experience with construction and fiberglass so it worked out for me. At the price range you are looking, I think a motor and trailer is most important. if you can't repair the hull, one can be found cheap or free without a trailer and motor, heck some one might even pay you to remove it:D. I would look for a deal that has a good trailer and motor. I'm sure opinions will differ, but that's mine. good luck to you in your search.

Maclin

Admiral

Not sure what State you are in, but in a title required State be aware of the title situation.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, If you take your time, and Know what to look for it's possible, RARE, but possible, to find "Lake Ready" boats for that Price Range. Barn Finds, There are a fewf people that Know how to care for boats and do! 30-40 Year old boats and motors just don't bring a lot of money. I Paid $250 for mine and spent $1500 on cosmetics to make her look like New. Structurally she was solid. It can be done but you have to have patience and some Know How. The advice you have received on here is all good...Well most of it. Some of the Tin Boat guys just have Negative Attitudes when it comes to Glass Boats!!!!:D

Maclin

Admiral

Deals are out there. Just after the holidays I looked and looked and called and called and recently found one for quite a bit under $2500, in fact in the high teens. 1980 Glastron SSV167 (16.2' Vhull Bowrider) with good running 90HP Mariner, very nice for any age of boat and lake ready. Had to go 320 miles for it, then had to be prepared to NOT buy it but it turned out to be my boat.

64osby

Admiral

As others have said water ready boats can be found, 1st one $695 for a 16' fish & ski / Merc 500 (50hp) lasted 8 years with very little work. 2nd one a 21' Starcraft w/ a 90hp Johnson for under $2,500, have used it for 3 years and it runs great. Some times they fall in your lap #1 and others take months to find #2.

If your set on a project you need to look at the options of the boat hull. Fiberglass vs Aluminum. Both require work, they need different tools and skill sets. I personally believe that aluminum boats are easier to work on. They also can be harder to find.

Good luck in finding a boat and getting on the water.

pckeen

Commander

Take a look at the Starcraft for sale on ebay craigslist thread (start near the end), and read through some restoration threads: jasoutside, weep'n willy, dozerII and many others have good restoration threads that will give you an idea of what you are looking at.

Good cheap boats for $1000 are out there - but for every great deal, there are a dozen moneypits.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Hey yall,

Anyways, I've been reading the forums here for a couple weeks trying to get a better understanding of things before I go looking at boats. We're looking for one in the $500-$1000 range knowing full well that will mean a lot of work and money needed to get it safe and ready for the water. But we're up for the challenge and look forward to having a common interest project to share. I have been cruising the craigslist adds in that price range to see what kind of work typically would be needed for a boat in that range. We aren't scared at all of refinishing the interior, and I'm a mechanic so engine/drive work doesn't scare me as long as I can find a manual (never done any marine work). What does make me nervous is the structural integrity and making sure all is good on that front. I've read about several folks having to redo stringers, transoms and hull work. To be honest, being so new, I'm a little confused about these. I understand what the stringers and transom are, but us there a way to check and make sure they are in good shape while looking at boats for sale? If there are soft spots in the floor is that generally a clue that something worse is going on underneath or just that the floor would need to be replaced?

How did this turn into a $2500.00+ water ready boat? Sounds to me as though they are looking for a project. Not a thing wrong with that! The wife and I are now on our second project boat in 4 years. If you go to this thread you can see both.

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...motor-hand-control-steering-wheel-637035.html

The Lund was purchased for $400.00 with trailer and w/o an engine. The Alumacraft was purchased for $1100.00 with a blown engine. It also came with 2 12gal fuel tanks, working 55lb thrust trollong motor, working Humminbird, 2 batteries, anchor, 3 spare props, one of which was a brand new SS and titles for both boat and trailer.

When I was finished with the Lund I had about $1000.00 into it. Which included the 35hp Evinrude, Control box, plywood and carpet to replace the decking and 14-3 marine wire to redo the running lights. What I didn't include in the finished cost was the $350.00 worth of Tempress seats and mounts or the $300.00 Humminbird which were things I could have done w/o or at least have gone with something less costly. Even adding in those costs I couldn't have found that boat finished for $1700.00

Now the Alumacraft. $1100.00 purchase cost. $600.00 for a very nice 60hp Johnson. Put engine on boat and ran it all last summer. Again, running I couldn't have found this boat for $1700.00, closer to double that for this boat water ready.

My advice. Look for a nice aluminum with a blown or missing engine. Starcraft, Smokercraft, Sylvan, Alumacraft, Lund. They all made fish'n ski type boats or straight fishing boats. They are out there you just need to look for them. Stay away from glass boats in this price range as most will be junk. As for repowering one stay with OMC outboards. Not that there is anything wrong with Mercury it's just that parts for the OMC's are just more available, especially electrical parts, igintion parts.

SigSaurP229

Commander

My First water ready boat cost me, $375.00 I ran it for three years trouble free, and sold it after three years for $1200.00 I did build new seats though.

It was an ugly as crap, 1967 Fish N Ski Tri Hull with a 1972 65 hp Evinrude electric shift. Probably one of the absolute least desireable hull and engine combos ever. Which was stored under cover for 20 years untouched. My family and I had some of our best times in that boat, and I kind of miss her sometimes.

Don't listen to the crap if you look hard enough you can find a boat in that budget range, and spend some cosmetic money on it and have a ball for a few years.

When you buy whatever you buy start saving your money for your next boat immediately.

And you do have an advantage that you have an automotive background.

Follow my checklist at the top of the forum understand that you will have to make some minor compromises, and for that budget range you will have to settle most likely for and ugly as crap boat.

Here she was in all her glory.

southkogs

Staff member

^^^^ LOL :D

I grew up on boats like that. Tri-Hull Outboards … and I still like 'em. They fit what I do and where I boat, so I would probably get a kick outta' that boat. Even liked that old 65 Triumph - water skied for years behind one on a 15' tri.

worntired

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome! I'm located here in central TX also. Where are you located? I've been watching craigslist for awhile and I haven't really seen anything that I would mess with in that range. I have seen quite a few lone star aluminum boats come along without a motor in the $500 price range. Find a 50hp motor and you should be able to get in to your target range for right around $1500 and not have any worries. If you're looking at strictly fiberglass bowriders, I wouldn't look at anything too old. Most people around here seem to leave them out in the open without cover and the drain plug in. Seems to destroy them pretty quick. There seem to be quite a few glastrons in the $5500 range. I think you could probably talk most of them down by quite a bit. I'd also recommend an OB for the maintenance intervals. Good luck!

SigSaurP229

Commander

^^^^ LOL :D

I grew up on boats like that. Tri-Hull Outboards … and I still like 'em. They fit what I do and where I boat, so I would probably get a kick outta' that boat. Even liked that old 65 Triumph - water skied for years behind one on a 15' tri.

The last time I was on that boat my wife was 9 months pregnant, after the boat ride 8 hours later she was in labor with my youngest child. They call TriHull boats wave slappers for a reason.

So she says that technically speaking our boat caused her to go into labor.