New To Boating Purchased 1973 MFG Gypsy

Cadet
Hi All, just picked up a 1973 MFG Gypsy with a 65 Evinrude last weekend for fishing and crabbing in Maryland. Take a look at the posting below from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...49&item=300647074025&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Have a little bit of cleaning to do on her to get ready for spring but I hope I can get her back into a little better shape. as the listing say there are few soft spots and the carpet needs to be replaced.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: New To Boating Purchased 1973 MFG Gypsy

Welcome Cadet #05220713, It,s good to see another MFG gettin put to use again! Don,t know much about your boat but hopefully the PO did a good job on the new stringers . With soft spots on the deck you might check out whats under there! You gunna try and find a windshield for it?

Cadet

Hi There, are you referring to the center windsheild? I actually have the right & left windshield, just missing the center part. I can possibly go with out it, if needed. Can you this part on the fourms?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I guess I missed the windshield in the last couple pics 05 :facepalm:
If you plan on doin alot of work on the boat you may want to start a thread in the restoration forum.:cool:

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey 05520713...
Welcome! Great looking Gypsy!
It would be easier if you had a name...
Great pics on E-bay, post em here if you can.

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi there 052 ..... Welcome to iboats and the MFG club. That sure is a nice looking boat. I am a little worried about the soft spots. Like sp said you might want to inspect under the deck. It seems that soft spots tend to be a warning that you may have something going on below. It's worth the time to check it out to be sure that you have a safe boat. Looking forward to more photos.

adoseth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice find 0522!!, and looks like a sweet deal
Welcome to the forum too

SteveMFG_Oxford

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck with your new toy! Be sure to give that transom a real close inspection. Many older boats suffer from deteriorated transoms. It's probably the weakest link in the chain. Look for weepage at the engine mounting bolts and at any other through bolts. If your motor has screw clamps, check the tightness and observe if they appear to be distorting the fiberglass. If so, your transom may be rotted.

Mine was!

You'll find a lot of good info on this site. Enjoy !