New Tires For Old Gator

Anchor Sores

Recruit
Any recommendations on where I could find decent replacement tires/wheels for my trailer? I saw in another thread that Goodyear Endurance tires were highly recommended but it looks like they don't make them in the size I currently have. I've got an old Gator trailer. Everything together weighs 1820 lbs (470 lbs trailer & 1350 lbs boat) and my current tires are old and overloaded. Trailer sticker says max capacity 1600 lbs with 4 ply 530 x 12 or 630 x 9 tires. The rims are old and I wouldn't be opposed to replacing them too. Are there any modern equivalents to the specs on the trailer sticker?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Any recommendations on where I could find decent replacement tires/wheels for my trailer? I've got an old Gator trailer. Everything together weighs 1820 lbs (470 lbs trailer & 1350 lbs boat) and my current tires are old and overloaded. Trailer sticker says max capacity 1600 lbs with 4 ply 530 x 12 or 630 x 9 tires. The rims are old and I wouldn't be opposed to replacing them too. Are there any modern equivalents to the specs on the trailer sticker?
Started a thread for you.

matt167

Rear Admiral
A 5.30x12 can be had in a Carslile USA Trail which is going to be the best tire you can buy. It's still a bias ply but there is a 50/50 shot it's made in the USA... Kenda Loadstar would be my second best. Carlisle Sport Trail will 'work' but they are cheeep

You can find 12" rims very easy. My 2021 boat trailer actually takes 5.30x12

Bondo

Staff member
Any recommendations on where I could find decent replacement tires/wheels for my trailer? Trailer sticker says max capacity 1600 lbs with 4 ply 530 x 12 or 630 x 9 tires. The rims are old and I wouldn't be opposed to replacing them too. Are there any modern equivalents to the specs on the trailer sticker?
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... What is the bolt pattern on the wheels,..??
5 on 4, 1/2" is pretty much the current standard,.....
4 on 4" can be found though,....

Anchor Sores

Recruit
They're 4 on 4". I also need to clean and repack the bearings, maybe replace them entirely. If changing the hubs to 5 on 4 1/2" would give me more options without causing other issues, I would consider that too. I've got minimal knowledge on this subject and looking to learn more. This is part of a project boat that I acquired recently.

Anchor Sores

Recruit
A 5.30x12 can be had in a Carslile USA Trail which is going to be the best tire you can buy. It's still a bias ply but there is a 50/50 shot it's made in the USA... Kenda Loadstar would be my second best. Carlisle Sport Trail will 'work' but they are cheeep

You can find 12" rims very easy. My 2021 boat trailer actually takes 5.30x12
Thanks, I'll look into those. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get something higher ply than the 4 ply stated on the trailers capacity label in order to meet my weight requirements (without overloading the trailer itself)?

matt167

Rear Admiral
Thanks, I'll look into those. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get something higher ply than the 4 ply stated on the trailers capacity label in order to meet my weight requirements (without overloading the trailer itself)?

Being they are bias ply, I would get a 6 ply. They will be rated to 90 PSI IIRC, but you won't need to put that in it. 50 PSI is likely enough depending on your trailer/ boat weight