New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pesimist

Seaman
Re: New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

By the numbers, Sylvan has been selling RPT tubes since 2008. They have sold thousands. There are a very, very small number with problems.....less than 1% failure rate.

You could be right about the 1% but, if that's the case I'm the most unlucky Sylvan RPT owner. The orignal RPT's (both port & starboard) cracked more than once, Sylvan replace both RPT's with new ones last fall and now the Port RPT is cracked in the same location (Nose section) same as Craigmack pictured.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is no denying the problems you guys have had which has been absolutely horrible. But, even if your search all the boat forums, there seems to be no more than a handful of owners with issues like this. Are there others? Most likely. But, people with issues like this will no doubt look for an outlet and have a good chance of posting online somewhere.

The fact that Sylvan is redesigning also shows an acknowledgement of a failure rate higher than acceptible or at least high enough to cause them issues.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've decided to go with the redesigned RPT tubes. Am I crazy? Probably, but I still think they're better performing tubes. At least I'll have a center tube to help stay afloat should issues continue :eek:

The Rooster

Ensign

I've decided to go with the redesigned RPT tubes. Am I crazy? Probably, but I still think they're better performing tubes. At least I'll have a center tube to help stay afloat should issues continue :eek:

Glad to hear a resolution is forthcoming Craig. I think you need to change your signature below: 2012 Sylvan 8522 LZ LE w/ (3) new RPT tubes !!!

WaterDR

Well, you can now add me to the list of owners with cracked welds! Pulled the boat to be winterized and BINGO....right tube had water in it. Dealer has confirmed cracked weld.

Waiting to find out what they are going to do, BUT, I have requested that the toons be replaced with the updated design. With all the failures that have been experienced with ones that have been repaired, I think this is the only available course of action that would be acceptible.

The Rooster

Ensign

Well, you can now add me to the list of owners with cracked welds! Pulled the boat to be winterized and BINGO....right tube had water in it. Dealer has confirmed cracked weld.

Waiting to find out what they are going to do, BUT, I have requested that the toons be replaced with the updated design. With all the failures that have been experienced with ones that have been repaired, I think this is the only available course of action that would be acceptible.

Well at least you got the whole summer "Dr." Nice to see Sylvan stepping up to make things right. Good luck !!!

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to hear that WaterDR. Sylvan has been responsive to my issues so I have to assume they will be to yours too.

Hankson

Cadet

I think we should start a contest for the most water in our toons. I'm up to a gallon a day in both sides. Anyone top that? It is a pain to have to pull the boat out before we go out. Most of my neighbors leave theirs in all summer. Anybody see the SweetWater pontoons? They have full length strakes and the dealer says they are fast. 42 mph with Yamaha 150 on 24 ft. The aluminum is much thicker than ours too, like my 05 Crest. Many owners don't even check their toons for water until it is listing to one side. This maybe why Sylvan is not getting feed back like they should. I still think they are covering this up and the handling above 30mph. The SweetWater dealer is gonna bring a 24' rigged similar to mine over to my landing and we will test drive both for handling, performance etc.QUOTE=WaterDR;4013001]Well, you can now add me to the list of owners with cracked welds! Pulled the boat to be winterized and BINGO....right tube had water in it. Dealer has confirmed cracked weld.

Waiting to find out what they are going to do, BUT, I have requested that the toons be replaced with the updated design. With all the failures that have been experienced with ones that have been repaired, I think this is the only available course of action that would be acceptible.[/QUOTE]

Pesimist

Seaman

Got my toon back from Sylvan yesterday, two new RTP's (3rd set). Hard to tell what the redesigned RPT's encompass, keeping my fingers crossed & ready to enjoy the 80 degree weather we've been having.

Toon Replacement.jpgToon Replacement2.jpg

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best of luck with the new tubes... really I mean it as mine also has the same "new redesigned" nose section :lol:. I hope to have mine back in the water next week if the ice has melted enough to get to the slip.

WaterDR

My is back too. Toons look great but we are still iced in here.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat was launched today but didn't have time for an extended cruise... maybe next weekend. I'm hoping the RPT issues are fixed for good and I'll actually be able to spend more time on the water than hauling it around to get repaired.

WaterDR

Amen

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Well, i got mine back two weeks ago and put it in the water yesterday. Lake was rough and about 60 degrees outside. While sylvan had the boat i had them install Yamaha gauges. I did ride it wide open for a little and it handled just fine. I have the 150 and got 5200 rpms and 34 mph.

The trim indicator on the new gauge doesnt work. So ill be making a phone call tomorrow. I cringed when the fuel gauge read 8.1 gph! But of course i don't run it wide open for a long period. I typically burn 15 gallons a weekend when we tube, knee board, etc.

I am also hoping for a non leaking summer. I keep it moored most of the time.

WaterDR

How are the Yamaha gauges different?

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

more informative. Engine water temp, fuel consumption, hour meter, oil pressure, trip time, fuel rate, etc.

I did fix the trim indicator myself. Sylvan forgot to hook up one pair of wires. They did send me the info/photo that showed me which wires. pretty simple.

Did more running this weekend. It was beautiful on Sunday. Boat performs well. Only time will tell on the pontoons.

WaterDR

So far so good....no signs of water in the tubes with the new tubes.

However, my pontoon boat was damaged while in transit. The dealer improperly wrapped the boat and the finish was damaged. Paint worn down to the primer in a few spots.

I am working with my insurance company and meeting with an attorney. The entire pontoon either needs to be re-painted or the aluminum fencing replaced with new.

Pesimist

Seaman

Mine had a little damage as well. The shrink wrap they put on before transit pulled the rails in just enough so the bow gate drags on the carpet. I'm hoping I can re-shim the hand rails myself.

WaterDR

The part I don't get is why they had to send them back to the mfg and the dealers could not perform. Makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.