New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

well damn, double damn. leaking again in both tubes. Have to say the design is crap. Pure and simple. CRAP. Took the boat to broken bow for a week and starting noticeing it was listing to port and it was slugish. When I pulled it out it was late and hard to tell with water from the trailer etc. So, I took it to my friend that owns a boat repair shop and pulled the plugs. Sure enough here it comes. 10 gallons on the port side and 4 on starboard.

I will call the dealer tomorrow and let them know. I think the design is a lemmon. I am going to check the lemmon laws for boats. If this was a car the lemmon law would be applicable. Dont know about boats. I know Sylvan has tried to fix this issue but it appears unfixable. I havent crawled under the boat to see if i can see the cracks like last time.

added.....
Lemmon laws for boats are similar to automobiles in texas. Basically four repairs in (2) 12 month periods and it qualifies. So I'm on my fourth. two the first 12 months. Two the second. Doesnt matter if its fixed each time. If it keeps breaking its a lemmon. I'll study the law some more but it may be an option.

I'd rather have it fixed BUT, I don't think it is fixable. So what to do??????

Last edited:

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you currently have the new redesigned RPTs? Sylvan installed the newer toons on mine over the winter and I haven't had any issues to date.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

yes had my replaced over the winter.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

I did not opt for the third toon. Maybe thats where I made my mistake. Had the option but thought it would nullify the effects of the RPT's.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Craigmack, I noticed you have the 150 also. What hole do you have it mounted in and what are your WO rpms? Mine has been in the first hole and my WO rpm is 4900 top speed 32.
From what I read it should hit 5500 and close to 40. I just had it raised to number 2 like the Yamaha performance report stated. Its not back in the water after this last outing and I'm not sure if it will be.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Damn... that's not good news. I hope I didn't jinx myself now. If you want to keep the boat I'm sure you can get Sylvan to give you the three standard toons with strakes and underskinning.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine's mounted one up from the lowest setting and with just me aboard and trim up I get about 37 MPH (GPS) at 5200 RPMs IIRC.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Damn... that's not good news. I hope I didn't jinx myself now. If you want to keep the boat I'm sure you can get Sylvan to give you the three standard toons with strakes and underskinning.

not sure what my next step will be. If I go forward with the Lemmon law I would definitely go for the refund option. But I'm not there yet. I really enjoy this boat. Its really a heart breaker.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

not sure what my next step will be. If I go forward with the Lemmon law I would definitely go for the refund option. But I'm not there yet. I really enjoy this boat. Its really a heart breaker.

Tom, You must have the patience of a Saint. How can you say that you really enjoy this boat with all the problems that you have? There are to many other brands out there to be putting up with all the crap that you have had to.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Tom, You must have the patience of a Saint. How can you say that you really enjoy this boat with all the problems that you have? There are to many other brands out there to be putting up with all the crap that you have had to.

Kinda like technology, it's great when it's working!

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Craigmack,

Did they just add a toon or did it include accessing it for storage??

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had them just add the toon. I have the vinyl floor with snap-in carpet and I didn't want to risk messing them up. I also didn't want a compartment where water could get in (though there must be a way for it to get out).

CradleTodd

Recruit

Tom,

SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT! I'm getting ready to send them my boat this Winter to have the tubes replaced. As stated before, they've offered to simply underskin my boat, but I'm thinking of asking for the third pontoon as well.

In regard to the Lemon Laws; I'm very interested here. I was looking into the exact same thing, but I've had three repairs so far in the last 2 years. I assume the replacement of the pontoons this Winter would make the fourth (assuming the last repair doesn't crack before I can send the boat in). At any rate, I'd like to know what you come up with regarding the lemon laws and what steps you take with Sylvan and/or your dealer.

Personally I'd rather claim Lemon law now and have them refund all of my money (including any interest paid on the loan up to this point) and go get another boat....but I guess I just have to wait for them to break again before it can be done. But even then I wonder what will be involved.....will I need to get lawyers involved, etc.

Look forward to your response (and anyone else with info on this! )

TRaymond

well damn, double damn. leaking again in both tubes. Have to say the design is crap. Pure and simple. CRAP. Took the boat to broken bow for a week and starting noticeing it was listing to port and it was slugish. When I pulled it out it was late and hard to tell with water from the trailer etc. So, I took it to my friend that owns a boat repair shop and pulled the plugs. Sure enough here it comes. 10 gallons on the port side and 4 on starboard.

I will call the dealer tomorrow and let them know. I think the design is a lemmon. I am going to check the lemmon laws for boats. If this was a car the lemmon law would be applicable. Dont know about boats. I know Sylvan has tried to fix this issue but it appears unfixable. I havent crawled under the boat to see if i can see the cracks like last time.

added.....
Lemmon laws for boats are similar to automobiles in texas. Basically four repairs in (2) 12 month periods and it qualifies. So I'm on my fourth. two the first 12 months. Two the second. Doesnt matter if its fixed each time. If it keeps breaking its a lemmon. I'll study the law some more but it may be an option.

I'd rather have it fixed BUT, I don't think it is fixable. So what to do??????

WaterDR

Just as a point of reference my toons were replaced too, but I did not get an freebess. However, I did not have any lost boat time and thy never tried to repair it. I simply pulled it from the water at the end of the season. Found water in the toons (not a ton, but did find water). Took it to the dealer and they saw cracks. And it went in over the winter to be replaced.

I think the issues of freebees is reall more around time lost for many of you guys which I think its a decent trade.

However, I REALLY think Sylvan would have really stepped up and simply replaced boats....right away. IF they did this, NO ONE would be complaining!!!! If they had give me full money back in liue of buying another, I woul have actually upgraded my boat and they would have had a nie used one to sell.

[If this should be a new thread, please make it so. But the RPT cracking issue is central to my question; and perhaps my question can help focus this thread on advice for potential Sylvan customers...]

So...
I have a regular pontoon with a 50hp outboard. 14mph is perfectly fine most of the time, but we only get to see about 5% of Rainy Lake (which is 345 square miles in size) and often don't have time enough to make it to a nearby destination... like dinner at a restaurant.

After considering a wide range of boats I've settled on a tritoon with a max speed of 40+ mph. As a bonus, they can also handle much bigger waves than my pontoon (but best not at full throttle, of course). To that I'll add a full enclosure to extend the boating season and do some camping.

For the last few weeks I've been comparing Sylvan, Bennington, Premier and Tahoe Grand Island tritoons. Sylvan has a lot of appeal because the RPT design seems to offer the best effeciency - with 40mph on a 2-tube 150hp RPT whereas the other three brands (same length and load) typically max out around 42-45mph on a 200hp tritoon with other planing designs (strakes, flat-bottomed oval tubes, etc.). Also, at least one boat designer I consulted says the design looks more efficient on the face of it.

For the last few days I've been reading this thread and speaking with three Sylvan dealers. Naturally I'm very concerned about the quality issue, though that's tempered by a few factors:
  • As BoatDr points out we don't know the actual failure rate. Despite a few folks having repeat problems (lemons?) the overall rate could be quite low. Several dealers have said as much but their sample size is also low and... they're trying to sell boats. And then there's that guy who lives near Sylvan and says the problem is even worse than we know...
  • Sylvan appears to be making reasonable steps to make their customers whole again through welding, replacement and free upgrades in the worst cases.
  • Sylvan has reinforced their RPT nosecones for the 2013 model year. Hard to say how much this will improve the situation but it can't make it worse.
  • No one's claimed Sylvan has a bad rap with the BBB.
  • All boat manufacturers will have some error rate. I don't know of any reliable data to say Sylvan is average or worse.

So am I nuts to be considering Sylvan, or is it reasonable?

The nearest Sylvan dealer is 3 hours away and two more are less than 5 hours away. Closer would be nice for warranty issues, but the only truly local dealer sells only Bennington tritoons (which are nice enough but pricey) and has a reputation for customer service that's mediocre at best.

The nearest Sylvan dealer has a good deal on a 2013 Sylvan Mirage Fish 8522 LE CNF with a 200hp Yamaha that's been used as a test-drive demo with 27 hours on it. Lots of options included, nearly all of which I either would get anyway or at least like. They're asking $35,800 before haggling, which compares favorably with NADA values.

The main competition is a Tahoe Grand Island 24' fishing tritoon with 6 lifting strakes and a 200 or 250hp Mercury.

Pros and cons:
  • The Tahoe is arguably the better deal by around $3,000 to $5,000 dollars (I'm still ironing out the quotes with all options).
  • The RPT design advantage could mean better efficiency and top speed - factors which have more appeal to me than hole shot and turning radius. Unfortunately I haven't found enough independent data on top speed, cruising speed, fuel consumption etc.
  • RPTs have the cracked weld concerns already discussed. (And possibly solved.)
  • I have no idea about the Tahoe reliability.
  • Both have good warranties.
  • Both are about 3 hours to the nearest dealer.
  • The Tahoe dealer seems trustworthy after spending a day there and I have no concerns about the Sylvan dealer yet (I'll visit soon).

Again, the main question is whether I should be considering the Sylvan at all, given the RPT weld issue.

The off-topic question is whether Sylvan RPT tritoons have a speed and efficiency advantage over the competition.

[And FYI, the dealer told me that for 2014 Sylvan is increasing the max motor HP for their 22'-23' boats from 200hp to 250hp by adding buoyancy. That was his answer when I asked why Sylvan's HP ratings were lower than the competition for the same length and number of toons. On the 2013 models, adding a 3rd toon boosts max HP from 150 to 200hp and capacity from 12 to 15 people.]

I had them just add the toon. I have the vinyl floor with snap-in carpet and I didn't want to risk messing them up. I also didn't want a compartment where water could get in (though there must be a way for it to get out).

Sylvan, Bennington, Premier, Tahoe, Avalon and presumably all manufacturers include an automatic bilge pump as part of the roughly $1,000-$1,2000 charge for the central toon storage compartment. Maybe Sylvan could add a bilge pump to all RPT toons as well!

Further off-topic, I plan to add an Alumaducer transducer to my central toon storage compartment for a more forward-positioned depth measurement.

My main use for the storage: Trolling motor.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having had the dual toon with RPTs and now the tritoon with RPTs, I don't think there's a performance (speed) advantage of the tritoon with RPTs over a tritoon with round toons and strakes. I'm running about 36/37 MPH with just me aboard where as with only the dual RPTs I believe I was getting 38/39 MPH. The speed loss may have to do with engine height but I'm not going to start playing around with that at this point.

The third toon does make for a better/smoother ride for the waters I cruise on which can get very choppy from both the wind and larger boats. If I start having issues again I'll have Sylvan replace the RPTs with round toons with strakes. I would love to have gone with one of the "performance" tritoons that other manufactures have but that would have been another 10K!

My center toon does have a bilge pump that I've been meaning to ask them about. I think it would be great to have a pump in all toons. If they ever started pumping out water you know you have a problem. I'll bring that up with Sylvan when I talk to them about the bilge in the center toon.

Having had the dual toon with RPTs and now the tritoon with RPTs, I don't think there's a performance (speed) advantage of the tritoon with RPTs over a tritoon with round toons and strakes. I'm running about 36/37 MPH with just me aboard where as with only the dual RPTs I believe I was getting 38/39 MPH. The speed loss may have to do with engine height but I'm not going to start playing around with that at this point.

With an RPT tritoon and just a 150hp you're just 4-7mph slower than a competitor's planing tritoon and a 200hp. I'd expect a little more from the extra 50hp, but not much. Maybe 45mph? But it's guesswork. It'd be nice to see more data on RPT tritoons with 200hp.

As for losing 2mph when adding a 3rd toon and keeping the same motor that's what I'd expect: you're adding more weight and more wet surface. The advantages of the 3rd toon are that you get more buoyancy which allows a bigger motor and/or load, better rough water handling (as you mentioned) and, of course, possible center storage. It doesn't go faster without more HP. Going from round to a planing design does, of course increase HP.

You raise an interesting point: it'd be nice to compare Sylvan RPT against Sylvan strakes on an otherwise identical boat! They already say RPT is faster but I haven't seen data on it.

lakegeorge

Jim, Why on Earth would you want to take the chance? What other pontoons on this or any site have you read about so many people having problems with welds cracking??????????

Buy another brand. I hope all the Sylvan owners get their problems fixed but again, why on Earth take the chance.

Pesimist

Seaman

Jim,
If you're reading of this topic doesn't worry or concern you, suggest you plunk down that $38,500 right away. Guess it depends on how lucky do you feel?

The worst outcome would be; days, weeks, months of non-availability - many round trips for repairs, declining resale value, possible total loss, etc.

Sure, WaterDR (not BoatDR) brought up some good discussion points which you have seen, and at the end of the season - WaterDr posted his toon(s) had cracked as well.

Personally, after reading tomr50's post that the new redesigned toon put on his boat recently cracked as well - I've got a sick feeling that this thread will get longer, and the new design toons Sylvan put on my boat last winter will crack as well.

Last edited:

WaterDR

If you talk to Sylvan they will tell you that adding a third toon causes a drop in speed for reasons already stated.

As to the failure issue with RPT, Sylvan has made these tubes for years. They are not new. The ones that have failed I believe are all 2012 models where they made a change to the nose cone. The 2013s, according to Sylvan, have been corrected.

I think the only chance you are taking is waiting to see if any 2013s have failed or any of us who have had toons replaced have had issues.

But, my honest personal opinion is this....whatever you buy, but from a local dealer with a good reputation. If I had been smart I would have bought a Premiere, Birkshire or Bentley and will the next go around. Why? The dealers that sells these is a few miles away and are highly reputable.

Status
Not open for further replies.