New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Well, #$^&^%%$@$, Its leaking AGAIN!

starboard pontoon started leaking again the weekend. Not sure what my next step will be now. Fight to have them replaced? Will that do any good to replace them since others here have reported theirs leaking as well. I will be contacting the dealer once again. to fix/replace the pontoons, the motor that won't go aver 4900 rpms, plus the one of the seats is loose. Is this Normal???? All these problems?? really takes the fun out of boat ownership. Really would like to hear Sylvans response to this problem. I tried talking to Sylvan when this last started and was told to go through the dealer.

--tom

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh boy, that's not good news. Do you know where the leak is?

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

no not yet. I'm sure same spot as last time. Will know tomorrow.

The Rooster

Ensign

Well, #$^&^%%$@$, Its leaking AGAIN!

starboard pontoon started leaking again the weekend. Not sure what my next step will be now. Fight to have them replaced? Will that do any good to replace them since others here have reported theirs leaking as well. I will be contacting the dealer once again. to fix/replace the pontoons, the motor that won't go aver 4900 rpms, plus the one of the seats is loose. Is this Normal???? All these problems?? really takes the fun out of boat ownership. Really would like to hear Sylvans response to this problem. I tried talking to Sylvan when this last started and was told to go through the dealer.

--tom

This really stinks, Tom. No, it's NOT normal to experience these types of problems w/ a new barge. Just know the entire forum is pulling for you and a speedy, permenant solution for these problems. I bet if Sylvan offered "5150" twice his salary, he'd consider leaving Bennington. That would solve the Q/C problems. Good luck !!!

Pesimist

Seaman

I hate to see anyone go through the same crap I've been through with Sylvan for 2-years now.

As far as the WOT issue; granted you will achieve maximum rated hp (around) 5,500 - but WOT RPM is variable based on the weight of the beer coolers, fuel, and passengers you have on board. If the engines throttle lever is hitting the high speed stop, you may have to re-prop. I run a Honda 115 on mine, 4,800 is the most RPM I've seen unless I'm down to 5 gallons of gas & just me on-board. The seat is definately a warranty issue for the dealer.

Highly suggest you draft a letter to Sylvan (Cc a copy to the dealer), mail it "receipt required" & keep the delivery confirmation when you get it. Federal Lemon Laws do cover boats. As I mentioned in my previous post, the nose sections of your RPT's will continue to crack.

Having your RPT's replaced won't be a permanent fix - "been there/done that" had both toons replaced last fall, the port tune started leaking this spring, same crack area - nose section in-board.

Sylvan's solution for me was: "we'll replace your RPT's with standard toons & throw the tri-tune". My take was - If I wanted a tri-tune, I would have bought one.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I amkeeping a close eye on this situation as an RPT owner and wish you the best. This really sucks! IMO, if I were offered their tri-toon set-up I would have likely accepted that, but that is just me.

I am a little rusty on the lemon law, but I successfully sued Chrysler a while back and won using it. The process is pretty straight forward. basically, it works like this. if the situation warrants, Sylvan will be required to either replace the boat, or give you all your money back including interest on your loan if you have one. They will also be required to pay your legal fees.

The process takes some time (3 to 4 months). There are thresholds that determine what warrants a judgement. It used to be that you had to have the same issue repaired 4 times w/o satisfaction, or that the car had to be in the shop for more than 30 days for the first 12 months of ownership. I am not sure if these thresholds are still the same or if they are different for a car vs/ boat.

Might be something to look into.

So far so so good with us (fingers crossed).

WaterDR

Also, my rpms are still 6,000 at WOT. I had five adults on it last night, and I still see 6,000 rpms if my weight is not all in the front.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Got the boat out of the water last night. The repair welds have cracked. And on both pontoons.

The Rooster

Ensign

Got the boat out of the water last night. The repair welds have cracked. And on both pontoons.

So sorry Tom. All we can do is commiserate w/ you, but it's time for Sylvan to supply new tubes. It's also time for a manufacturers rep to step in and assure you this will all be made right. Best of luck !!!

WaterDR

I think what is worse than the problem is the lack of empathy and support from Sylvan!

Imagine if they sent a truck to his house to pick-up his boat and delivered it a short time later, fixed! What a story he could tell online. How many sales has Sylvan lost because of all the stories of poor support? Can they sbe o ignorant to not read these forums?

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a different (i.e. good) experience talking to someone at Sylvan Marine, however the local Sylvan dealer was another matter!

Tom, when I hear "the repair welds have cracked" I'm inclined to blame the welder for doing a bad repair job but only another welder could make the determination. If the material just isn't thick enough for the stresses encountered then Sylvan should absolutely correct the flaw and replace all faulty toons with redesigned ones. Regardless of the cause, I hate to hear you're having issues again and understand what you're feeling (keeping my fingers crossed on my repair job).

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

my dealer has notified me that Sylvan will be replacing the tubes. I'm going to get these repaired so I can use the boat for another month or two. Cuz with the boat going back to Sylvan no telling how long it will take.

Pesimist

Seaman

I think what is worse than the problem is the lack of empathy and support from Sylvan!

Imagine if they sent a truck to his house to pick-up his boat and delivered it a short time later, fixed! What a story he could tell online. How many sales has Sylvan lost because of all the stories of poor support? Can they sbe o ignorant to not read these forums?

While empathy and support from Sylvan would be nice, they are still heavily advertising the RPT's & customers are paying extra for the RPT's for extra speed with less horsepower. I imagine there are many RPT owners that haven't pulled their boats out of the water & discovered how much water is in the toons.

http://www.sylvanmarine.com/Why/RPT/

WaterDR

I can tell you that mine are dry so far.

Hankson

Cadet

I wish you good luck but my dealer said when he went to test the RPT toons , he was not impressed with their 3 warrenty guys. Low paid with little to no experience and not to enerjetic. Said it is better to have it done at the dealer. Don't know if true or not. He has repaired mine twice and I have leaks in both toons again. We really need a forum to get together and let our advocate talk in person with Sylvan. Will we older owners be grandfathered. My dealer told me this week that he had sold 200 toons this season and had 50 more on order. I have been to his place 3 times and have never seen more than a few on his lot. Or the dealers being orcastrated by Sylvan?? Pesimist if you get a chance sometime send me a pm at hatch427@gmail.com It sounds like we have both been thu the wringer with our boats.
my dealer has notified me that Sylvan will be replacing the tubes. I'm going to get these repaired so I can use the boat for another month or two. Cuz with the boat going back to Sylvan no telling how long it will take.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it was confirmed yesterday that I have another leak :(

Same tube and same area in the nose section but opposite side of the tube where the last repair was done. Sylvan is footing the bill (again) and has agreed to replace the entire tube in the off season (if I want).

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I received a call from the marina stating my boat is fixed (again). Any bets on how long it'll last this time? ;)

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

WERE IT ME....

I'd have printed every web site dealing with your states Lemon Law. Lawyers sue for their salary, you want your money back. I had a Seadoo Boat with a blower. 8 hrs of running and the blower let loose. Became a recall item. Dealer had my boat for 3 weeks waiting for parts. When I got the boat back less than an hour water time the alarms went off, low oil pressure and the motor shut down. Back to the dealer, oil pump this time, another 2 weeks. 3rd time came 2 weeks after delivery. No oil pressure again. Took the boat to the dealer, along with a copy of the Arizona Lemon Law, they owed me a complete refund. Struck a deal with them, a created new 255hp engine to replace my 215hp. Boat was delivered 4 weeks later with the new motor. In our case, the dealer was very willing to negotiate with us and Seadoo.

Good Luck. Remember, knowledge is power, yelling and swearing will get you nowhere.

Pesimist

Seaman

I received a call from the marina stating my boat is fixed (again). Any bets on how long it'll last this time? ;)

I'm going to bet that your toon will crack again after no more than four times on the lake. I'll also guess that it will be the toon on the other side.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do I win anything if it lasts longer? ;) I'm a bit surprised I haven't had an issue with the other toon. If the other toon does have an issue I'm going to demand they replace the RPT toons with standard toons with strakes as well as add a center toon (I only have two now).

Status
Not open for further replies.