Not open for further replies.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Sylvan 8522 CNF with RPT tubes Cracked welds

Hope it is fixed!

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Well, the toons may be fixed but i believe i have another problem. I am only getting 4900 rpms at WOT.from what i read i should be getting at least 5500. I have been so concerned about the toons i have overlooked my motor. Before my water problem i know it was in the 5500 range. And i did hit 40 with two people in the boat. After it hits 4900 i still have room left on the throttle but no change in rpms with that last inch or so. I read where it may be a throttle adjustment. Not sure will call the dealer tomorrow and see what he says.

All i want to do is enjoy the lake on these 100+ DAYS. And to add insult to injury my ac in my suv went out for the 5 hour drive home. Its 6 years old with 120,000 so i guess it was just a matter of time.

tomr50

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, its a 150 4 stroke yamaha. 14 pitch performance prop.

Pesimist

Seaman

I don't want to rain on your hopes for a permanent fix but; bought our Signature 8522 CR with RPT's in March 2010. The left toon had cracked well before July 4th weekend, we had heard oil canning - just couldn't pinpoint where. Finally found the culprit - a 12" crack on the right toon. 100 mile-an-hour tape (duct tape) got us through the weekend festivities, dealer welded the next week. Don't laugh too hard about the duct tape, it's a cultural thing here in Alabama!

RPT Repair.jpg

Another month or so went by before the left toon cracked (same location). I believe there was at least one other crack/weld job but I lost track.

Last fall (2011) Sylvan replaced both RPT's with new "improved" ones, or so I thought. Now - the left toon is cracked at the same location as the previous toon cracks.

To say I'm not impressed with Sylvan & their RPT's would be an understatement. For those that aren't familiar with the RTP toon:

sylvanrpt_tube_500.jpg

Not sure if it's allowed or not, link to my discussion on another site: http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13242

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Add me to the list of Sylvan RPT owners (8522 LZ) with a cracked weld... same location too. In the starboard nose section along the inside bottom edge about 7~8 inches ahead of the seam to the next section. Too bad these welds aren't created by machine. It seems to be at points where the welder stops/starts. The boat is new and has only been in the water 3 weeks!

Get this though, there are two marinas near me (both 1 mile down the road and next to one another) and one is a Sylvan dealer. Guess which one is helping me... the non Sylvan dealer! My Sylvan dealer is 75 miles away but knows the non Sylvan dealer.

I did put a call into Sylvan Marine directly Monday afternoon (left a voice message) and received a callback Tuesday around noon time. They (Sylvan Marine) was sorry to hear about it and said it'll be covered. I did explain to them how the local Sylvan dealer wasn't helpful but the other marina was. Marina names were given to Sylvan Marine but I doubt it'll go any further than that.

Timeline:
Leak discovered this past Sunday, boat taken out of the water Tuesday and it's on it way to the local welder Wednesday. Not bad service if you exclude the local Sylvan dealer, though it would have been better not to have this issue to begin with.

Leak2.jpg
Leak1.jpg

The Rooster

Ensign

Sorry to hear about this Craig. Seems like Sylvan needs to rethink this whole process. Good luck !!!

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to hear about this Craig. Seems like Sylvan needs to rethink this whole process. Good luck !!!

No, they just need to do due diligence on the stress analysis of the RPT toons, re-enginer them, and fix EVERY ONE they've shipped out that was improperly designed.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, they just need to do due diligence on the stress analysis of the RPT toons, re-enginer them, and fix EVERY ONE they've shipped out that was improperly designed.

I don't think it's a design flaw of the RPT tubes themselves but more of a quality control issue in the welding. Had the welder done a better job in the first place it would never have leaked. I'll bet every leak is at a stop/start point.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keeping close eye on this as I own an 8524 with RPT. The pontoon has been sitting in the water for two months and been used about 25 times. So far, no issues. We also beach it all the time which means stress on the front end too.

I have two rivets that popped-off from my aluminum skin that I found while swimming. My dealer drove 45 miles to the marina, took it out of the water, took photos, and will be driving back up next week to make the repair. The boat is completely usable, so there is no rush. Keeping fingers crossed. Seems like most of you with problems experienced them right away.

I also mentioned to the mechanic that I had heard of problems being reported. They sold 200 Sylvan Pontoons this season, have 80 on order, and claims that they have had no issues. There are no reports on feedback sites about them on this issue either.

I don't think this is a design issue, but a QC problem with their welding.

Again, keeping my fingers crossed.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've asked the marina to instruct the welder to inspect all welds, though I'm not sure this will actually happen. Either way I'll report back when the repairs have been completed.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, got my boat back Saturday morning and it's sitting level once again :) The welder commented he also fixed some broken welds on the brackets but wasn't specific where and that he pressured tested both tubes.

WaterDR, I see we basically have the same boat (yours being about 2' longer) but with a 115... for comparison sake what prop are you running and what are you getting for speed? With the misses aboard I'm getting 40 MPH (speedo) and 5500 on the tach; this is with a 15.25 x 15P Black Max with extra cupping.

WaterDR

Craig, do you have a 150 or a 115?

I am running a 13.5 x 15P with a 115 and can get almost 30 mph. That is at 6,000 rpms, so I am pretty sure i am getting everything that I can from my prop. I am open to advice, however. With a good load of about 8 people, it will run 25 mph.

BTW, my pontoon has never really sat level since I bought it. It has also sat further down in the back a bit. I would say that empty, the rear pontoons are about half submerged.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WaterDR,
I have a the new Merc 150 (hopefully I saved my sig this time). When I said it's sitting level I meant from side to side :)
The rear of my tubes also sit about 1/2 in and the water line is at the bottom of the ladder. I was just curious how the 115 and 150 compared. The 150 was a bit more $ but I decided to max out the HP from the start as I was told repowering later would be more expensive in the long run.

WaterDR

I regret not having a 150 frankly. Also, the 24 is quite a bit slower than the 22 for some reason. The 22 will go 31 with a 115, where I am seeing more like 27/28. the added weight and length makes a surprising difference. I would be thrilled with mid 30's or higher. I am actually looking to re-power if it makes financial sense.

The Rooster

Ensign

WaterDR,
I have a the new Merc 150 (hopefully I saved my sig this time). When I said it's sitting level I meant from side to side :)
The rear of my tubes also sit about 1/2 in and the water line is at the bottom of the ladder. I was just curious how the 115 and 150 compared. The 150 was a bit more $ but I decided to max out the HP from the start as I was told repowering later would be more expensive in the long run.

You guys are just power freaks !!! :D

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Says the guy with a 250 ;)

WaterDR

Yea really....I hate to be that guy with the 115 when a guy with a 250 pulls along side. It was more fun when I was the guy with a 500 HP Mustang and the guy with a 260 hp one used to pull along side.

Hankson

Cadet

Folks with RPT toons, hate to tell ya but leaking toons are nothing compared to the real problem with these toons. I have had my 8525 mandalay for a year and a half. She has a 200hp Suszuki on the rear and will run 43 with me and the wife. That is, when I drain the toons. The problem is: When you are running with the tubes planeing (30/35) and you hit an approaching wave, the toon on the wave side will somtimes drop off plane and cause the boat to turn sharp in that direction. No amount of helm holding will stop it. I have almost collided several times with boats overtaking me or passing too close. My dealer Lincolnton Marine in Ga. says he has not had this happen. WHY was this design not prototyped and tested before introduction to the public? I have noticed that all of the pontoons Sylvan uses to make videos are tri-toons.. Maybe there is more surface area and more lift that prevents this from happening? I recently sent an e-mail to their design engineer with a waring that I will pursue this till it is corrected. Also, the aluminum is about half as thick as my Crest was. I will let you know what goes down later. Getting a person at Sylvan to talk to is tuff but I have to try. You gotta admit, the Mandalay is a beautiful boat for the price.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't experienced that (yet) but then again I ususally keep to a leisurely cruise of 25 MPH. The rule (that most don't follow) on the lake I run states when within 150' of another boat you slow to headway speed. So I'll slow and they'll just fly on by... not much chance of me swerving off into them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.