New Springs on Trailer

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well my old leaf springs and hardware was so rusty it was starting to scare me. So I bit the bullet and had them install a complete new set. The existing setup I had on apparently they no longer make, so they had to install a completely new system.

Now they tell me that this center pivot piece will adjust as I drive, but since I can't drive and look at the same time, can someone tell me if this is the case on this type of system?

Picture_020.sized.jpg

I am also a bit concerned that while I'm parked, the piece is hitting the frame.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: New Springs on Trailer

I've got torsion suspension so I dont know.... but I'd be concerned.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen tandem axle flatbeds like that. It is so the axle has more movement in relation to the other axle when going over real uneven terrain. Instead of using just the spring travel, if a single axle hits a high bump, the axle will go up, and the other down. Gives it a lot of travel. But, the little bridge piece is usually level, or at least close. How level is the trailer sitting? Most people prop there boat up real high to drain out any water that leaks through the cover. Is that the case?
Also, which welder glued that on without painting it? Most will at least put primer on, as the welding burns off all the paint, and the coating that keeps the steel from rusting in the steel yard. Go ahead and slap some Krylon on that.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have it a bit higher just for that reason so I'll pull it out of the driveway and then re look at it.

Ya, I can't believe they didn't paint the welds either. I have since painted them though.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Nothing rusts faster than welded steel. It needs a good paint job for protection. Dont really like the look of the set up either. was there a specific reason that they installed that !!!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

i thought it was supposed to look like this:
trailer46_2.jpg

The left shackle on yours looks like it is unconnected.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

The axel are too close together. You need to move them apart or get shorter springs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My boat has a differnt type of equalizer so I took a picture of my horse trailer. In this picture the right hand side of the picture is the front of the trailer and is jacked up pretty high.

equalizer.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The axel are too close together. You need to move them apart or get shorter springs.

They look like the correct distance but the equalizer isn't installed correctly. Maybe I just can't tell from the picture.

You need to take a picture with the trailer parallel to the ground. Measure at various places along the trailer frame...adjust the tongue until all is the same and then take another photo

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is definitely something wrong . If the trailer is even remotely level, the walking beam should not contact the frame. Why is it I don't see the tail end of the front spring leaf like I do for the front end of the axle at the right.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

The shackle on the left side ( looking at pic) is upside down. No if ands or buts abotu it. the tandem axle trailer shoudl look like the sketch that was posted in black and white TAKE IT BACK
Rob

Bindernut

Seaman

The shackles are installed on the walking beam correctly...as shown in the line drawing in bruceb58's post.

The end mounts are definitely mounted too close together. The shackles should angle away from the walking beam at about a 50-60 degree angle (unloaded) instead of straight vertical in your picture. It should look like bruceb58's photo of his horse trailer setup. My guess is that the welder installed the spring kit on an unloaded trailer and didn't account for the springs lengthening as they compressed from the weight of the boat. Don't ask me how I know that...but don't pull it any more than you have to to get it back to the shop that did the work.

Are your tires the same size? Size mismatch can cause that uneven walking beam stance too...but as mentioned, make sure the trailer is level before you check that. It looks quite a bit higher on the right side as it sits now. Also, make sure your rig's hitch height is set so the trailer frame is level when you're pulling. But with the shackle angle corrected, you will have more clearance for the walking beam to pivot.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replies.

Some clarifications. My setup is exactly like the sketch and Bruce's picture, it's just the rocker piece is hitting the frame.

All tires/rims are the same size/type.

The boat is jacked up higher slightly in my driveway, but even when it's level on the street or hitched up, it's the same.

Also, when the boat is off the trailer, the two rear wheels are off the ground.

I'll add a new pic so you can see the other side.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Maybe it is an optical illusion but it looks like the front of your trailer is WAY high!

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's probably the way I'm taking the picture, but my driveway does slant down and I do have it raised up a bit.

Maybe it is an optical illusion but it looks like the front of your trailer is WAY high!

Bindernut

Seaman

Yup, the outside spring mounts are definitely too close together (or the leaf packs are too long for the application). Did the shop that did the work reuse your original outer mounts or did they weld on the new ones that came with the kit? As it is right now, your leaf packs still have decent arch to them...as the springs flex upward, they will "grow" in length, pushing the shackles even closer to walking beam mount.

Can you post a picture of it with the trailer frame parallel to your driveway? That will show if the walking beam will even out so the shackles don't bind against the walking beam or it's mount.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nothing was reused, since its a completely new system.

I'll post pics on the street.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would definately take it back for them to finish the job correctly. i'm sure you paid a good amount of $ to have it done correctly. including paint. even if it turns out to be right they still need to paint. i hate people who do 1/2 ***** work, and charge full price.