Technical question about OMC sterndrive

trionic

Recruit
I've a buy a second hand 1990 Four Winns Horizon 180 with an OMC engine.<br />On the engine, it's written Cobra 4,3L<br />With the number written on the block, I see that this is not an 4,3L but well a GM 3,8L. I've some question about this engine:<br />What is the horsepower of this engine?<br />Is it a big difference with the 4,3L? Need I change the gear ratio?<br />What is the setting of the timing point?<br />Has someone some experience with this engine (consumtion, couple, ...)<br />Has some one the wiring diagram of this engine?<br />Thanks in advance for your help !

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Technical question about OMC sterndrive

Are you sure it's a 3.8? If the engine serial number/tag says it's a 4.3, I would be suprised to learn that it is actually a 3.8. GM did make Cobra 4.3's in 90. Either way, sounds like you need an OMC manual. Email Bob Johnson at viking7@cox.net. He is way cheaper than most ebay postings, and I just bought and returned a 1990 OMC shop manual. Good luck.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

OMC stopped using the 3.8 with the stringer drives around 1985-86 and only used the 4.3 beyond that. I suppose it's possible someone may have repowered the boat using a 3.8? See if you can find an OMC plate on a rocker cover or T-stat housing with an OMC model #.

whywhyzed

Banned

3.8- 2 barrel: 170 HP<br />3.8- 4 barrel: 185 HP<br />4.3- 2 barrel: 190 HP<br />4.3- 4 barrel: 205 HP

DHPMARINE

Captain

Could be a moot point either way.Bombardier is not supporting either type of sterndrive.Some parts are available, many are not.<br /><br />DHP

KaGee

Admiral

Hystat and myself still have 3.8's. Boatin Bob is right... there were no 3.8's in '90. GM replaced the 3.8 with the 4.3 mid '85.

trionic

Recruit

Many thanks for yours answers.<br /><br />I think the previous owner has change only the engine... I think it comes from a car because it isn't paint.<br /><br />There is no OMC plate.<br /><br />I hope it will enough powerful to make waterski.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Makes sure the electrical(starter, alternator, ignition system) is MARINE and not regular auto parts or you can go KABOOM!