new project for a newbie

hello,

I have lurked for a few weeks now, reading and searching for tips on my new project. I found a lot of answers, but not all, so as i move forward i will be asking more. I love a good project. I love working on things (cars and trucks) so i imagine a boat will be a new experience. I have no time line for this other than summer of 09.

What i bought is a 1980 success ? bowrider? with a mercruiser 140. I am going to try and post some pics.

It is rotted to the core, and don't know if it would run or not, it has not run in over 10+ years, that doesn't scare me near as bad as the whole working with fiberglass stuff.

For the record, the jeep in the back ground was a total loss 3 years ago (fire damage). now its better than the day it rolled off the line. and yes i did it, little by little.

100_0578-1.jpg

100_0752-1.jpg

kbomb

Seaman
Re: new project for a newbie

From a fellow noob, Good luck! I'm in the same situation as you. Do you have a link to the work you did on your jeep?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi cap'n

WELCOME TO I BOATS

if youve been lurking...you have an idea of what your in for......:eek:

in stead of restoring a boat....another idea is.......get a large caliber fire arm...point the weapon at your foot and........:eek:

(its less painless, doctors bills will be cheaper....and you'll have a moment to remember. :D

but seriously....looks like a nice boat.....dont worry about the fiberglassing. if you can mix a drink, cut material, lay a carpet, and paint, the rest can be figgured out. :)

as well...you allerady know about the cost......but its all worth it !

when you "get in there"...and have any specific questions.....fire away !

cheers
oops

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice boat for a project. Bow riders are great all around use boats. And its smaller size will keep the expenses down. And that size boat is good to learn about boating with. Easy to manuver, good vision, not too heavy.

Good luck, and don't forget to take a boating safety course!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looks like you have a very eager helper. get ready for the dirtiest, dustiest, itchiest job you have ever done. plan on changing clothes in the garage. get yourself and air compression with a spray nozzle, to keep yourself spray off. a couple of tyvek suits. quality angle grinder, 30 grit sanding disc. shop vac. a 4 inch floor scraper comes in handy. once you get everything out it gets a little cleaner.

there is noting like having a classic boat that is paid for. properly tuned, starts first time, sits at the dock and idles smoothly, while the Guys with the BIG monthly payment try to get there started.

i have now lost count of how many i have done. there are 4 in the yard right now. 2 complete 2 in progress. be careful it can become and addiction.

i have some pics of the jeep, but no link. the only i have not changed are the fuel tank, the tub, and the front clip, everything else has been replaced or upgraded. i loved it. for those that dont know, jeeps are like boats, THEY ARE NEVER DONE! there is always something new to bolt up/cut off/swap out....

but it has to run everyday, so it doesnt get abused (or used off road) I would love to, but i have to go to work.

I like the boat it can just sit and not cost a dime.

AND YES, MY 10 YR OLD SON IS ON BOARD FOR THIS PROJECT! YEHAW!
he has alread removed all the interior (screws and some carpet) and is dying to get really started. the weather is nothing but rain at the moment.

I do have 1 important question. what harm will come if i remove all the stringers and decking at the same time? i have read some stuff about deformation? (like the Pres i too can make up my own words) i dont think i will have to remove the cap to do anything, and really dont want to. but was hesitant about just ripping everything out at once.
we are ready to start, but i work a swing shift, so it will be somewhat slow from time to time.

can i rip all the deck and stringers (mud) out at the same time?

thanks
catfish

tonyg11780

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may want to think about ripping it out one piece at a time. This way you can take pics and document everything as it comes out in order to answer any questions that may arise when you go back together...Im just a noob myself, but have been asking many questions for a lil while...lol. Just passing on the advice...

Tony

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thats a bunk trlr......

it should be ok to rip and strip.....but 500 pics is not enough !!!! take lots of sketches as well....mesurements of every thing !

cap on to reinstall the strings and deck....

cap off for the transom....(sorry)....but youll be glad you did

it can be done all at once cap off...but you have to brace it....

if you dont brace it...when you go to put the cap on...it will be like a tupperwear lid thats just a wee bit too small

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking boat, overlooking all the rot! :D

I have been working on mine for the past month and a half. I just retired from the military, and am enjoying some time off before I hit the job market again, so this has been my full time job. So far, I have over 200 hours of work in it. (deck and stringer replacement) I am as far as glassing the deck in as we speak. At least I have a solid transom so I didn't have to deal with that. It eats the time up and I am sure if I had more experence, it would have gone quicker.​

Some tips from another noob:​

1. What everyone said about the mess is TRUE. Get some of those disposable coveralls, because you will be throwing them away. Putting work clothing in the washer will only get it on everything, and you will be sleeping with the dog for months...​

2. MAKE SURE you wear some kind of mask when you start digging, especially make sure your little one wears one too. There is a lot of mold under there that will give you a cold or worse if inhaled. Also use the mask when grinding. (I learned the hard way)​

3. Don't expect it to be done tomorrow. Take your time, measure it twice, grind and clean that old glass well. I think the grinding is the worse part.​

4. If you get frustrated, walk away from it for a few days. Don't forget it, just take a break. I have been using the weekends to help charge my batteries.​

5. Save the cash up now so you will have it when you need supplies. They are not cheap and you will be buying more than you expect. Buy good quality supplies (fiberglass, resin, etc.) because no one likes to lay down fresh resin that will not cure.​

6. Replace everything that can weather. Example: I had an original 22 year old fuel fill hose in mine, and it just crumbled. 10 feet of hose cost me over $75, but it had to be replaced.​

7. Get the engine running before you do anything else. Expect to pull the outdrive and replace the bellows (of course this will have to go to replace the transom). Check the compression. Check the block for cracks. Replace the water pump. Ensuring the engine is mechanically sound now before you do all the other work is smart because if the engine is bad, it might not be worth the cost of the rebuild.​

8. Keep up on these boards. I have learned so much from them. While I worked on automobiles and heavy military aircraft for years, boats are.... different. If you have good mechanical skills (I would think you do with the work on your Jeep) you will do just fine.​

9. Above all, DO QUALITY WORK. You don't want to be on the water and have something done half *****ed break on you. It could be a long swim.​

Good luck on this project. Keep us updated on the progress.​

jcsercsa

Captain

hi cap'n

WELCOME TO I BOATS

if youve been lurking...you have an idea of what your in for......:eek:

in stead of restoring a boat....another idea is.......get a large caliber fire arm...point the weapon at your foot and........:eek:

(its less painless, doctors bills will be cheaper....and you'll have a moment to remember. :D

but seriously....looks like a nice boat.....dont worry about the fiberglassing. if you can mix a drink, cut material, lay a carpet, and paint, the rest can be figgured out. :)

as well...you allerady know about the cost......but its all worth it !

when you "get in there"...and have any specific questions.....fire away !

cheers
oops

Welcome and what OOOPs said except shoot the second foot also !!! hahahah no man l the the boat , and its not that hard ... if i can do it anyone can !!! again welcome John