New project - '63? Aero Craft

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New project - '63? Aero Craft

Our boats must be related to each other, the glass on my boats floor was the same thickness. while grinding today I kept saying to myself D@% that's some thick glass. You will most likely see a couple of PM's from me because these boats are almost the same.

i386

Captain
Re: New project - '63? Aero Craft

It can be fixed pretty easily. Mine was just that bad or worse. I'm in the painting phase now.

Here's what I did....

Ground out all the bad places. Any bad or weak glass, I wanted it out of there. Sometimes, you may grind all the way through the hull. Don't sweat it. Cover the holes with clear packing tape and try to maintain the shape as best you can.

Flip the hull and do all the repairs from the inside. The resin won't stick to the tape. Do the stringers and the deck, then flip it back over when it's time to paint.

Fill all the bad spots and sand to shape.

** See below

Prime and paint.

** If I ever do this again, after filling the bad spots and right before priming I will do this step. Mix up some epoxy resin with no fillers. Squeegee the resin over the whole hull. This will fill in any crazing and pinholes saving you a lot of sanding work between primer coats.