New Orleans..rebuild or abandon?

brother chris

Commander
Re: New Orleans..rebuild or abandon?

I wish I had the answer to this question. <br />My opinion is to build somewhere else. Nobody wants a repeat of this in the future.

scotchguy

Cadet

If we use the 'don't want this to happen again' logic. Then we should also do the following<br /><br />1. Move everyone out of Florida and east coast to prevent hurricane loss.<br />2. Relocate half of California to prevent earthquake or wildfire loss.<br />3. Evacuate the wheat and corn belt to prevent drought loss.<br />4. Me and the rest of DFW would be forced to move out of the tornado corridor, I almost lost my house in the last one.<br /><br />I will miss the New Orleans that was and look forward to getting to know the new one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Tinkr:<br /> Fellas,<br /><br />There's still people waiting for rescue and some of them are probably going to die. Not to mention bodies in the water and the diseases that might come.<br /><br />I'm still thinking about the poor ba$tards who are trying to live, and how they might be saved.<br /><br />I think it's a bit callous to be running this thread now.<br /><br />Or would you think it was OK to be running a thread about the engineering and symbolic issues involved in rebuilding the twin towers while they were still burning and people were dying in them?
Yes Tinkr, those discussions were going on as the towers burned and fell.<br />First the experts were telling us not to worry, they can't fall, then they said they would because of inferior construction caused by environmentalist laws against certain fire resistant materials, then they fell and they blamed it on Bush. You pick the angle, his foreign policy of a few months, his murderous nature and wanting an excuse to kill the Iraqis, interior bombs that were planted by Bush brought down the buildings, etc.

LadyFish

Admiral

This disaster is going to have HUGE ramifications on us all. That's an obvious statement, I know. The magnitude of the displacement of people will dramatically affect not only the South but all part of the U.S. in fact, it already is.<br /><br />How can the government justify allowing illegal aliens to stream into the country when the populace of New Orleans will need to be relocated? Where will these people go, and what will they do for work? Sounds like a large portion of them are low skill workers. How is this going to be resolved? It's unbelievable.<br /><br />If this happened becasue of a natural disaster, imagine what the outcome would be if a city was taken out by a terrorist attack. We'd basically be in the same boat.<br /><br />I think with all the people currently unable to work in Lousiana alone we should do everything in our power to aide them and their families. However, I feel a good solution to rebuilding would be to put every victim of this tradegy between the agres of 18-60 and in good health to work. There is no reason they can't help with clean up and rebuilding. Unskilled labor jobs will be plentiful, and will last a long time.<br /><br />Maybe our government and/or other organizations should say, we'll take care of your family if you come to work for us.

LadyFish

Admiral

We have the ability right at our finger tips to build it better than it ever was before if thats what they decide.<br /><br />Abandon it? NO!!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The federal government would not allow the flood victims to rebuild along the Mississippi River when it flooded in the 90's, and previous to that. What makes this any different.<br /><br />Close the borders to illegals and deport the illegals already here. Then there will be plenty of jobs for the New Orleans refugees.<br /><br />The truth is brutal and a bitter pill to swallow, but we can't be all things to all people. Start by protecting our nation's interests.

gonefishie

Commander

Deport the illegal? who would happily do all the dirty works efficiently for minimum wages? I don't think these peoples are willing to do that. I'm not for illegal aliens but the truth is they work hard, for cheap and efficient.