New MFG boat owner here

youngbuck007

Cadet
Re: New MFG boat owner here

VW - Thanks for the encouragement but I really don't think its that simple. The extension is 6" long. The driveshaft, shift rod and water tube all run from the motor down through the extension and into the lower unit. If you remove the extension and try to reinstall the lower unit without it, all of those components will be too long. I imagine I could shop around and try to find an old junk motor that I could rob these parts off of and reassemble, but it seems like it would just be easier to buy a mini-jacker to raise the motor up.

yanks21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe VW is right. The tubes and shafts are not one piece from tyhe powerhead to the lower unit. The extenion has short connectors that extend tyhe drive shaft anfd the water tube. So it would make the extention a seperate piece entirely. There shouold be a coupler for the shaft at both ends of the extender, and a flange or fitting at both ends for the water...think about it: Why would a manufacturer make a 6' extention that would require new shafts and plumbing??? No one would do it.
If you feel comfortable jacking it, go ahead, but i see VW's point.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If I remember correctly, Johnson and Evinrude are owned by Bombardier. When I had my Evinrude, I went to their web site and looked up my engine. They had exploded views of almost everything in it. You could also try some places like Russell's Marine or Crowley. At least you could see a picture of the internals.

youngbuck007

Cadet

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts. Again, I truly don't claim to be a mechanic... just a guy that isn't always afraid to pick up a wrench or two and figure things out. I usually do as much research online before to get as much insight as I can before I tackle a project. My search led me to Iboats (of course!) and I found this thread which seemed to detail my exact same dillemma with the same motor: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=297003
This thread actually explains at the end a guy that converted this same motor to a short shaft by removing the "extension" and getting an old donor short shaft motor for parts. Everyone on the thread seemed to think this was how it would have to be done, or to get a jackplate. I admit I have never done anything like that, and perhaps my specific motor you can't remove the extension but others are much easier. I really do appreciate everyone's help, it's great how we can all bounce ideas off each other since we have all had a bunch of different experiences on boats!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

You are correct about the driveshaft. It is not a two-piece driveshaft; there are different driveshaft lengths depending on the motor OEM leg. There were/are basically two length legs these days- sometimes has been three if it offers a "sailboat" model.

As far as 15'6" length- boats used to be measured along the stretch of the hull under gunwale. The way we do it "these days" is length overall. And hull length has never been "exact" but is a "class" - like a starcraft I have which is an "18" model but actually measure almost 19 feet.

As far as the boat itself- that will be an awesome inshore crab-about. But before you spend bucks on the motor I would consider getting rid of it. It probably is doing everything it can do and is running well. You oughta be able to get decent cash for it there on the coast.

Anyway, it may "go" fine and whatever, but it might not consistently plane the boat. The motor is probably fine but was probably originally on a sailboat for aux power. I would search out a decent 50+HP motor as there are times when you will want more than just to "go fine" from one place to another like if weather comes up. A bigger motor will likely last longer than the 28 as it will need less RMP on a consistent basis to do the same work, especially if you need to plane it.

Cool boat and I love it but it makes me sad that dad and daughter didn't finish it together. With one 21 year old and another 17 year old daughter I know what it's like to watch the daughters pass into adulthood.

youngbuck007

Cadet

I've been out a few more times and I must agree Mark, the 28 is just not enough power. I'm on the lookout for a 50-70hp now. I don't imagine I'll have any problem selling the 28 given that it runs so good and they are pretty popular motors around here.

I also found some time to make a few additions to the boat, let me know what you all think! I've added several flush mount stainless rod holders, a switch panel, radio and speakers. I've also mounted some running lights but still need to finish the wiring. I've ordered longer battery cables to allow the battery to be mounted inside the console. I also took the bow cleat off so that I can reposition it.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat4.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Love the rod holders ! You gunna add a bimini top ?

youngbuck007

Cadet

Love the rod holders ! You gunna add a bimini top ?

Thanks I got some inexpensive stainless ones new for only $15 each. I know they aren't Lee's or Perko's but I figured hey, it's justs a 16ft boat! A bimini might be something I do down the road, certainly would have been nice with the intense summer we had this year but I'm going to add a depth finder and GPS next, as well as look for a bigger outboard. If I do a bimini I just need to find the best location so it doesn't impede dipping crabs off the line and swinging into the boat.