New Merc 225 efi Saltwater - Shutdown

abreug2

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Messages
15
Coming in to the marina last night one of my new Mercury 225 cut off at cruising speed of 30mph. I restarted the engine and it ran for about 5 minutes and shut off. After that would not re-start. I had to go in on one engine. This morning the engine would start for about three minutes than shut off. Does not seem to be overheating.<br /><br />The motors are new with about 10 hrs. I would appreciate any ideas of what may be the problem. (Of course I will send back to the dealer to hve checked out)<br /><br />Thanks
 

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
8,217
Re: New Merc 225 efi Saltwater - Shutdown

On a new engine, it could be anything missed in it's assembly, from a loose terminal connection to a defective computer,to a defective sensor (tricking the puter).<br />I hate to hear about a Merc with 10hours doing that to you. I'm a Merc-Freak,and when I get rich-n-famous (or just rich), I'm going to go twin Merc 225's on my Whaler 230 Outrage :) <br />(It's fun to dream)
 

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Jan 23, 2001
Messages
1,054
Re: New Merc 225 efi Saltwater - Shutdown

No alarms on shut down? maybe a watersep filter full of water?
 

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jan 31, 2002
Messages
336
Re: New Merc 225 efi Saltwater - Shutdown

12Footer I'm with you. I swear by Mercury. That is all I have ever had and the only one I trust. I have towed in EVERY other make of outboard and only two Mercs. One ran out of gas and the other hit bottom and broke the prop. I have a Merc 140 inline 6 on a 16' Glastron. :)
 

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Oct 12, 2001
Messages
320
Re: New Merc 225 efi Saltwater - Shutdown

12 footer you can make gaskets with ballpeen hammer when you get rich LOL
 
Top