New bearings: too much movement on spindle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time on this one. Live and learn. I can't continue until I have more grease, so will continue later.

I still could use some advice on the outer brake pad just falling out of the caliper when the hub turns, if anyone has thoughts.

No wasted time, Joe. We all have done some things we don't like to admit to. Don't worry about it.

Like Grub said, some retaining clips or pins keep the pads in place. Look at the calibers/pads on the other side and compare.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I must be losing my marbles. I could have sworn I put both races in. I even remember setting the outer race on top of the hub. I must have gotten distracted by a phone call or something and came back. What fooled me unfortunately were the two 'steps' in the inside of the hub that are roughly the width of the race, and that it was relatively smooth, which made me think the race was set all the way in.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time on this one. Live and learn. I can't continue until I have more grease, so will continue later.

I still could use some advice on the outer brake pad just falling out of the caliper when the hub turns, if anyone has thoughts.
The outer pads “snaps” in place and kept from dropping out by the hub. Some have retaining clips, many do not.

In normal operation the outer pad and disc are in light contact with each other. Install the pad then pump the actuator a couple of times to close the gap between pad and disc to hold them in place

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just recalled from back in the day.... In tech school me and a buddy rebuilt the transmission in his moms car, road tested just fine. Cleaning up drain pans, found a thrust washer Laying there. What to do..... She drove that car for another eight years without issue. Stuff happens.....lol
Just like when I walked in the forklift shop, buddy standing there looking bewildered. I asked whats up? He couldn't find the screwdriver he just had.
You mean the one in your hand? He throws it across the shop and went home. Lol.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Show some pictures of your caliper and also what brand you have.

six50joe

Seaman Apprentice
Still not sure what brand, but thinking this looks ver similar. It looks like the pad became separated from it's bracket. At the risk of this sounding like a dumb question, is my only choice to buy new pads, which would really mean I'd have to get new set for all 4 hubs? I didn't think going into this that repacking the bearings on my own was going to turn into a $300+ job. I get the whole 'while you're in there you might as well' logic, but wondering if what's currently there is servicable, given all the pads have plenty of meat on them.
Pad3.jpegPad2.jpeg
Caliper.jpeg

Last edited:

six50joe

Seaman Apprentice
No wasted time, Joe. We all have done some things we don't like to admit to. Don't worry about it.

Like Grub said, some retaining clips or pins keep the pads in place. Look at the calibers/pads on the other side and compare.
GA, are these clips 'generic', something I could pick up at an auto parts store, or are they specially shaped per manufacturer?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The one side that goes against the piston would normally have a spring clip on the back side of the pad which holds it to the piston. Looks like yours is rusted away.

What does the other side of the caliper look like. It almost looks like a dexter caliper. If it is, it would say on it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If the pads have come unattached from the backing plate they are trash.

With all the rust in the piston area, have you checked to make sure the pistons are not seized?

six50joe

Seaman Apprentice
If the pads have come unattached from the backing plate they are trash.

With all the rust in the piston area, have you checked to make sure the pistons are not seized?
I don't think the pistons are seized, but I'm going to check that when I'm at the boat's location again this weekend. From an earlier picture I took that has the other side of the caliper I can just make out the stamp, it's Kodiak.

Sounds then like I have no choice on the brake pads but to get 4 new sets.

six50joe

Seaman Apprentice
Doesn't a set of pads usually accommodate 2 wheels? You need 2 sets not 4 maybe?
Yep, I ordered more sets than I needed, oops again :rolleyes: so need to return two of them.
But at least the job is now done, finished it over the weekend. The caliper on the last wheel was a bear to get back on with new pads, not sure why; nothing appeared different about it from the others, and the piston didn't seem to be protruding more than the others.

I'm assuming that a little friction on the hub from pads making contact after installation is ok? I'd imagine they settle in and free up a little with use.

Last edited:

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
What's the condition of your brake lines? At the bottom of the last picture you posted it looks like the brake line is frayed.

six50joe

Seaman Apprentice
What's the condition of your brake lines? At the bottom of the last picture you posted it looks like the brake line is frayed.
Despite what's seen in the photo they didn't seem compromised. Not brittle or leaking anywhere and tight on the caliper.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Despite what's seen in the photo they didn't seem compromised. Not brittle or leaking anywhere and tight on the caliper.
With the rust on the crimp, I'd replace them regardless. You are in there, why come back in a few months because of another problem.

vermaraj71

Recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.