Need HELP!!! what kind of rim/hub is this?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need HELP!!! what kind of rim/hub is this?

While it is nice to refurbish older things like this, is it really wise to do so? What I mean is a 8" rim has to spin at amazing RPMs to cover the same distance as tires/rims that are 13" going the same distance but probably spinning a fraction of the RPMs. AND if you do have a blow out, think how much more effort it will take to replace one of those tire/wheel setups on the side of the road while vehicles are whizzing by. Not a safe option in my book, but to each their own. As much as I enjoy refurbishing older things like this, I personally would look or buy a much newer trailer with standard tires/wheels... Also those 8" rims spinning those RPMs will certainly have a lot more heat generated. And when you back them into the water...guess what IS going to happen...? JMHO! :D

briangcc

Commander

I hate to be a naysayer but I'd lean towards replacing as well.

Those rims aren't sealed against water so every time you dunk that trailer to launch, you're repacking bearings. If you don't repack, the water will eventually ruin your bearings and then you're in for more fun. To repack it looks like you need to drop the entire wheel & axle combo to boot - doesn't look like a fun project I'd like to be attempting at a launch or my driveway.

And do you even have a spare tire for this? If not, what's going to happen when you get a flat and need to replace it on the roadside?

Gotta look at the practicality of this trailer and its long past its shelf life. Nice conversation piece by all means but not very functional these days.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

For convenience as well as safety in the future, I would look at putting a new axle on that trailer or getting a different trailer, even if you find the right combo for that particular trailer, they are going to be a pain to deal with if something happens roadside. With that style of trailer and the amount of corrosion around the axle attachment points, I would be concerned you could have a failure and then loose the whole set up. You can almost buy a good used trailer for what they are quoting for tire mounting. I would bite the bullet now and enjoy the peace of mind long into the future.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lurch - your link and my link are the same. no idea why yours work.

Motor boater - It's time for the all important question. Are you doing a showroom restoration and showing the boat? If yes, by all means restore the trailer.

matt167

Captain

I have seen older trailers with that construction, not very many boat trailers but it used to be somewhat common to have hub less trailers, many are still on the road.. As far as replacing it, I guess I don't see the point. It is functional as it was designed for the loads it was intended to support. It is not traditional or common today but that does not mean it is not up to the task. Any tire shop that can do lawn tractor tires can do that very easily and cheaply. Most of the older tire machines rely on lug holes and the center hole but a lot of new machines have jaws that open up to support the tire and will work fine on that 8" rim.. I'm not sure what a 5.70x8 costs for just the tire, but I doubt mounting would be over $30/ each.. Spare axles could be made by a machinist, bearings are probably off the shelf and I'm sure a couple spare wheels could be located.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

All of you make some very valid points. I am concerned about safety of course that's my number one priority seeing as though I put so much work into this whole thing. like the boat, it's almost completed. I'm not looking for a showroom finish but I do want it to look nicer than it did when I bought it.

the trailer is something that I have also put a lot of work into, its been sanded down completely, its been completely repainted, and I've even purchased a new coupler which I had welded on.

I've put too much money into the trailer now to just let it go. Plus, I like how unique it is. it adds to how old the boat is. even though I've changed a lot of things on the boat, I did keep one of its original pieces.

so now, the integral tire looks like exactly what I need. However I believe it would be a whole lot safer to just get a new axle and have it welded on. Comments???

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

If you want to keep the look, that is understandable, but I would put a new axle on it, something that a whole lot easier to work on, axles are not that expensive and you can purchase pre-made spring perches that would be easy to adapt to that trailer, in addition, you then could use modern trailer rims and tires, and rest a whole lot easier when towing it. Many years ago, I worked in the RV business and I do mean many, but some of the old stuff that was brought into us, would have been a nightmare to work on, if it broke down on the side of the road, we had several that were brought in on flatbeds because they could not be fixed on a road side service call.

Change the axle, update things and enjoy your restoration.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How far do you expect to tow? For relatively local towing the setup you have now is fine. If you expect extended drive time at highway speeds, an upgrade is a good idea.

64osby

Admiral

I have something sort of similar, it's an Ace Trailer out of Texas. Unknown year.

It was used for a 12' Tinny after it was picked up and converted, looked like it was used for a jet ski when I picked it out of a dumpster. Now it is used for a utility trailer, put a 4 x 8 deck on it.

I looked around trying to find a spare rim for about a year, gave up on that. If one rolls in the drive I'll keep it.

Ace Trailer 002.JPGAce Trailer 001.JPG

Your trailer looks like a million compared to this one.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have to chuckle at how the majority of folks are recommending a new trailer because this one isn't safe, won't hold enough weight, the bearings won't handle water- yet it's still going after nearly 60 years!

(kinda like me ;) )

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have to chuckle at how the majority of folks are recommending a new trailer because this one isn't safe, won't hold enough weight, the bearings won't handle water- yet it's still going after nearly 60 years!

(kinda like me ;) )

I don't think that has anything to do with it, it has to do with what is going to happen in the future, I have been going strong for almost 60 years as well, but do I know I will be tomorrow? Nope, don't think so, could be down for the count As could you! And so could this trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I don't think that has anything to do with it, it has to do with what is going to happen in the future, I have been going strong for almost 60 years as well, but do I know I will be tomorrow? Nope, don't think so, could be down for the count As could you! And so could this trailer.
so your spouse, friends, boss, etc should dump you asap for a newer model?

How hard is it to tear a mechanism down and inspect it... replace worn items and put it back together... Get AAA or the like and if you get a flat, have a rollback haul it to your house.

Maybe you should avoid 85 mph speed on 5 lane interstates during rush hour but then again that's not what an antique is about...

That 60 year old American steel is probably better than anything being pumped out of china today.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

so your spouse, friends, boss, etc should dump you asap for a newer model?

How hard is it to tear a mechanism down and inspect it... replace worn items and put it back together... Get AAA or the like and if you get a flat, have a rollback haul it to your house.

Maybe you should avoid 85 mph speed on 5 lane interstates during rush hour but then again that's not what an antique is about...

That 60 year old American steel is probably better than anything being pumped out of china today.

Boy sorry to **** you off, but you are way off topic here. There are things that improve with age, Wine and Cheese comes to mind, But steel, no matter where it is made is not one of them, it would be a very simple job to update this trailer to a safer axle with standard hubs so he has piece of mind, and of course the ability to repair quickly if needed. This is advice so his wife don't have to dump him, due to a mishap on the road.

As far as a boss, have not had one of those for quite a few years, as a retired military officer and West Point Grad, who was wounded in the first Gulf War, I pretty much live each day of my life as if it is my last, I learned the hard way, I don't wish to see him do the same.

By the way, the new trailer I purchase last weekend for one of my boats, was made in America, I don't purchase cheap Chinese Crap and it didn't cost me as much as you might think.

Again, sorry that my advise to be safe, seems to rub your butt the wrong way, I am just offering some information and advise based on my experience in life, hope he stays safe.

Dave P.
Retired US Army
O-6

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

UHHHH WHOA..... you didn't **** me off or offend me in any way and I didn't attack you... You are the one who made the analogy to your age, I was just trying to be slightly comical with the first part of my reply....

I didn't say anything at all about steel getting better with age but that it MIGHT be better than new chinese stuff...

From a totally utilitarian viewpoint I agree completely BUT if he wants to put in the effort to RESTORE that trailer he can easily do so and it can be every bit as safe as a new one... We've already found new wheels/hubs and If there are new wheels I suspect that axles, bearings, seals, also all exist on parts shelves.....
I'm not at all saying that this is a practical endeavor but then neither is restoring ANY antique vehicle... It's about a passion for something old and unique...

If it were mine, I'd haul it to the scrapyard but then I don't care for old unique things.... He does and while it is easier to dump the old stuff it is absolutely possible to make it safe and reliable as built.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

UHHHH WHOA..... you didn't **** me off or offend me in any way and I didn't attack you... You are the one who made the analogy to your age, I was just trying to be slightly comical with the first part of my reply....

I didn't say anything at all about steel getting better with age but that it MIGHT be better than new chinese stuff...

From a totally utilitarian viewpoint I agree completely BUT if he wants to put in the effort to RESTORE that trailer he can easily do so and it can be every bit as safe as a new one... We've already found new wheels/hubs and If there are new wheels I suspect that axles, bearings, seals, also all exist on parts shelves.....
I'm not at all saying that this is a practical endeavor but then neither is restoring ANY antique vehicle... It's about a passion for something old and unique...

If it were mine, I'd haul it to the scrapyard but then I don't care for old unique things.... He does and while it is easier to dump the old stuff it is absolutely possible to make it safe and reliable as built.

Well Sir,

I guess you and I have a different interpretation of what was being discussed.

I will leave it at that.

Ultimately, the choice is his, not you nor I, we can simply offer advise based on our experience.

(By the way, you offered reference to age as well)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yep we can only offer advice and nothing proves more strongly that this is ultimately a judgement call he'll have to make based on his own priorities and conditions of use than the stark contrast in our opinions here.... No hard feelings here... never had any

You made the analogy... I (sarcastically) requested clarification ...... I never for a second meant that you should be discarded but rather quite the opposite. MY (intended) implication was that you likely have a few miles left in you and thus if your analogy held true then the trailer did too.....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

In looking back at your photos, It APPEARS that the wheels are on a sleeve through which the axle bolt passes. Now, If this is the case, with a little ingenuity you could fabricate a different sleeve and use regular 8 inch hubs and tires---might be worth investigating, but seals might take a little finessing..

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

How far do you expect to tow? For relatively local towing the setup you have now is fine. If you expect extended drive time at highway speeds, an upgrade is a good idea.

the furthest place I usually take it to, which is the place I plan on launching out of a lot this summer is about an hour and 5 minutes away. I Drive about 45 miles to get their. Half of the drive is approximately 65 - 70 MPH. The other half is a proximately 45 MPH.

so moving on, if I decided to purchase an axle for this, where should I weld it to. obviously the frame but what about the spring system that is on the trailer right now? Would I just have to lose that whole setup?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your trailer looks like a million compared to this one.

actually, mine looked a lot like yours when I first got it. But I put a lot a lot a lot of work into it, now the only thing I'm concerned with are these tires and bearings, I don't want them to seize up on me