Need HELP!!! what kind of rim/hub is this?

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need HELP!!! what kind of rim/hub is this?

I'm amazed that thru all this discussion, no one has hit on the most popular use of that type of hub & axle setup--

The front wheels of motorcycles...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I'm amazed that thru all this discussion, no one has hit on the most popular use of that type of hub & axle setup--

The front wheels of motorcycles...

Not any of the motorcycles I ride, my Harley has a disc brake as well as a whole different type of set up, this type of set up has already been mentioned, now a days they use it for a wheel barrow.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

It IS very similar to most motorcycles built in the last 50 years or so except it is likely a sturdier design. I suspect that the trailer uses tapered roller bearings where as most (but not all) motorcycles use roller bearings.... Roller bearings in bikes are ill suited for side loads... When a side car is installed on a bike with roller bearings they become a regular maintenance replacement item.

Motorcycle front wheel parts:

h14554.jpg0000-Bikers-Choice-Front-Axle.jpg48472d1336966300-bent-front-wheel-help-03-zx636-wheels-diagram.jpg

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I took the trailer to a 2nd trailer shop and again, the guy at the counter looked out the window and said "what the hell? look at that!" immediately followed by "Hey guys, come out here, take a look at this trailer, there's no axle" then every one in the shop came out, and was in aww at the trailer. then they started checking out the boat and we got off subject for a while. (DEFINATELY A CONVERSATION PIECE).

When we finally got back to the reason I was there (hubs & tires), they looked around for a while and then found something very similar. Looked like what I have now, Then I showed them the picture that was posted on here of the integral hub & tire and they agreed that it looks like the right set up. So finally, they recommended I take off the wheel and bring it to them to disassemble so they can read the numbers off of the bearings and get a good fit for some hubs they had in stock. I will be removing the wheels tomorrow and bringing them in to see what they say. then If all goes good, I will purchase 2 hubs and 2 tires for the moment, then I will purchase a 3rd so that I have a spare ready to go. :rockon:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

congrats

Considering the level of trouble a blowout would be, I'd highly recommend that you buy the highest rated AMERICAN made tires you can for it...

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

definitely will. I will be looking for the High Speed wheels, since I will need them for the way I drive, lol

JARED T

Seaman

all the weight of the boat and trailor is depending on them little welded lugs supporting the axels to hold everything, i would get another trailor.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those little welds have been holding the boat fine for the last 58 years without a problem.

RobWise64

Cadet

Sometimes you can replace those integrated wheels with common hubs in 4 or 5 bolt pattern depending on what bearings are in it when you disassemble it. If the bearings are L44643 or L44649 (same bearing inner and outer) and the spindle is 4 1/4" L then you can likely get rid of the integrated rims and go with hubs and separate tires and wheels. Since this trailer gets dipped, you want to get grease seals with double lips and then replace your standard dust caps with bearing buddies to keep the water out.

Sorry I joined this discussion so late, but I just found these forums last night!

Rob

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes you can replace those integrated wheels with common hubs in 4 or 5 bolt pattern depending on what bearings are in it when you disassemble it. If the bearings are L44643 or L44649 (same bearing inner and outer) and the spindle is 4 1/4" L then you can likely get rid of the integrated rims and go with hubs and separate tires and wheels. Since this trailer gets dipped, you want to get grease seals with double lips and then replace your standard dust caps with bearing buddies to keep the water out.

Sorry I joined this discussion so late, but I just found these forums last night!

Rob

A little late to the party, Rob. Did you look at the pics? How would bolted hubs simplify anything? What bearing buddies do you recommend with an axle through the middle?

MB - Did you get the old wheels off? I'm curious how hard it was. I have a hunch it wasn't too bad. Don't keep us hanging.

RobWise64

Cadet

My apologies. I thought he was trying to find a repacement for those hubs too. The grease seals for lugged hubs will fit in the front and the back equally, so an extra seal could be used in place of a dust cap or bearing buddy.

Rob

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

How about high speed Fixed Hub Integral Tire & Rim trailer wheels. Bearing, seal and dust cap included. MB won't need the dust cap and will need one more seal.

[URL=http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/sv29n/media/Cheap%20boats/trailertire.jpg.html] [/URL]

Fixed Hub Integral Tire & Rim

Your link appears broken, but it gets a guy in the right direction. Something like this should work for the OP. 8 inch Fixed Hub Integral Tire & Rim at Trailer Parts Superstore

ya GOTTA read the whole thread :)

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, the integral hub looks exactly like what I needed. But now, after removing the passenger side tire, I discovered that the spindle was 3/4", unlike the drivers side which was 1". Also, the passenger tire had an inner tuber under the rubber. According to the trailer shop, a tire like that would be hard to find.

I was going to buy 2 idler hubs and put the spindles through them, that way I could have a newer, more modern style tire and rim fit onto its lugs. but because of the size difference of the spindle on the passenger side. I was unable to do so. They don't have an idler hub that is small enough to fit a 3/4 " spindle, only a 1" spindle. So I would have been fine for the drivers side but not the passenger side.

So I'm sure your thinking, (so why not buy a bigger spindle for the passenger side) right???

Well.. apparently they don't make spindles like that, this spindle is tapered on both sides and has a hole drilled through it for a cotter pin on both sides of the spindle. I went to a machinist with the drivers side spindle, sleeves, castle nuts and speedy sleeves that were on them and asked how much they would charge me to duplicate that set up, and they said, just the spindle alone would be $110.00, so after getting quotes for the sleeves which went around the spindle and acted as spacers, along with the speedy sleeves which were on both sides of the tire, I got an estimate of around $540.00 for two duplicate set ups.

Soooo... this is what I decided. I decided I will just modernize the trailer, buy an axle, leaf springs, etc... and just have it welded on and be done with it. I just placed my order for those parts about 4 days ago. Out the door it was $404.22 and that's not installed. Then I will be paying another $150 - $225 to have all the old parts removed and have the new parts welded on.

The ultimate reason for deciding to modernize the trailer was. I now have a great trailer I busted my hump putting work into, it fits my boat perfectly, has all new parts attached to it, and If I have a blow out, I wont have to remove a spindle, bearings seals, and have to repack bearings, replace seals etc.. road side. With the axle, I will be able to just remove the tire & rim like any other trailer with 5 lugs and place a spare on it. Sooooo much easier.

Cant wait to be done with it, so I can FINALLY get this boat in the water.

What do you guys think?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like a plan... sorry you couldn't keep the old stuff like you wanted but I think you will be better off in the long run this way

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

The ultimate reason for deciding to modernize the trailer was. I now have a great trailer I busted my hump putting work into, it fits my boat perfectly, has all new parts attached to it, and If I have a blow out, I wont have to remove a spindle, bearings seals, and have to repack bearings, replace seals etc.. road side. With the axle, I will be able to just remove the tire & rim like any other trailer with 5 lugs and place a spare on it. Sooooo much easier.

Cant wait to be done with it, so I can FINALLY get this boat in the water.

What do you guys think?

I think you made a wise decision!

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I think I did too. Just cant wait to get the parts now. Then I can post my before and after pics on the finished restorations thread :D

RobWise64

Cadet

You can still get hubs with 3/4" inner and outer bearings. I rarely get calls for them, but I keep one in stock just in case. Still, you'll have better peace of mind with the more conventional axle setup you're going with. Best of luck!

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Parts are finally in. $404.22 later. now I just need to pay someone to weld them on for me and I will be lake mead bound. I can almost taste the fish :D

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

FINALLY, 1 MONTH LATER. I'm finally getting ready to take my trailer in to A1 here in Vegas to get my axle, leaf springs etc. put on. After that I just need to mount that 40hp electric start Merc outboard, change the impeller and oil and I'm in the water. I'm Stoked