Need help on piston failure

Cortes165

Seaman
Re: Need help on piston failure

Walleyhed......you say<br />
Here's the kicker to me...Right on the P/N label on the piston box AND the instructions for that piston, it says: For bore size 3.530-3.531.
is this from an OMC piston???<br /> I would like to see that label. <br /><br />In regards to the machine shop (they don't know better). From what I have learned, he bored the cylinders to the dimensions the boat shop told him. He will resize to whatever I want.<br /><br />It's the mechanic that says it doesn't matter if the bore is a few thou under.

walleyehed

Admiral

To be blunt... the Mech. is stupid.<br />The dimensions I was refering to are Wiseco labels, but remember, a 30 over piston means the BORE is to be 30 over std. regardless of piston manufacturer in this case.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

sounds like the machinist is not familiar with outboards or just doesnt care.<br />next time things go wrong he will blame you because you told him to do this and that.<br />a good machineshop will bore and provide the pistons.<br />they will measure what the overbore they have to shoot for .020 or .030 etc and then they will rebore the cylinders to the pistons manufacturers specs.<br />they will take the sharp edges of the ports and will clean the block from metal shavings.and hone the cylinders.<br />than they will give you advise of the break in procedure.<br />this job on all 4 cylinders should not be more then 200 dollars.<br /><br />find a good machine shop and you dont have to worrie about that anymore<br /><br />reeldutch