need advise on hulls, stringers, floor, transom, ect.....

JTGP2011

Cadet
1959 glasspar lido 15ft

I need to remove the top deck? Best way?

Best tool to use to remove a floor? saw zaw?

How can I know if my stingers are still in good shape?

Tap on my transom for a thump noise?

Flipping over a hull?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: need advise on hulls, stingers, floor, transom, ect.....

I moved this over to the Restoration section. These guys'll get you fixed up over here . . . Good luck!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome the the Worlds Best Boat Restoration Forum....iBoats.Com!!!!!

We Love Pics and they really help us to help you. I am restoring a 1962 Lonestar Flamingo currently so I am very partial to the classic runabouts. Your questions are all common to the forum. Using a 3/8" drill bit with tape on it at the 1" mark drill holes from the inside of your boat into the transom down low in various places and check your shavings. If they are light tan in color and dry then you're ok. If they are dark brown and damp or very powdery, then you have issues. Your deck should be solid and not exhibit any or very little flexing when walking or bouncing on it. Stringers can only be inspected once the deck is removed and then you can drill core samples of them as well. If you mean the Top Cap of the boat then normally you remove the rubber insert in the rub rail and then remove the hundreds of screws or rivets that secure the Top Cap to the hull. I recommend using a regular Circular saw set just shy of the thickness of the deck. A 4 1/2" grinder is an absolute must tool for removing old fiberglass and wood.

There is a link in my signature on how to post your pics.

WelcomeAboard.JPG

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you have an outboard motor.....and a rot transom..the cap comes off.....if you are just doing a deck and stringers.....you can get away with out.

by the way.....welcome to iboats and the dry dock

cheers
oops

gjmsd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Post pictures of the transom. You might be able to just remove the top of the transom and dig out the rotted wood in order to pour a composite transom in. I just finished doing this to a 1971 hull of unknown origin and it turned out to be very easy and solid (just a little expensive). I also replace the floor and wood in the dash since they were both rotted. My floor was so bad I almost didn't need the circular saw to get it out but it helped. Just be sure to set the depth to the thickness of the floor.

JTGP2011

Cadet

55 johnson side.jpg

JTGP2011

Cadet

if you have an outboard motor.....and a rot transom..the cap comes off.....if you are just doing a deck and stringers.....you can get away with out.

by the way.....welcome to iboats and the dry dock

cheers
oops

I have been following your build.

I'm never getting the honey do list finish, because of your build...lol

JTGP2011

Cadet

View attachment 120363View attachment 120364View attachment 120365View attachment 120366View attachment 120367

I have two spots up front where the floor flex. Not bad just a little. I am just curious and the stingers. I will probably insert a snake camera and view them. The transom makes a dig noise, not a thump noise when i use a screw driver handle. What I am planing on doing is separating the top deck from the hull. So I can then flip the hull and get it smoothed and painted.

JTGP2011

Cadet

th_glassparrearhole.jpgth_IMAG0128.jpgth_IMAG0130.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Your pics are to small to be of any value. 640 x 480 is the typical size. Thump testing your transom is not very reliable. You really need to core sample it.

JTGP2011

Cadet

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Hi, welcome to Iboats :) You will be helped a great TON here. Never give up, i have seen lots of people on here and on youtube, start something but than come to a complete stop... nothing is more disappointing.. because we feed off of your progress pics, and videos :)

I am editing a video of how i got started to remove my floor right now. it should be up in a half hour or so. I will post link than. :)
Good luck,
once again
welcome
-Vlad

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I hope this helps :)

Also you may want to open a Photobucket account, that way you can post pictures in big form easier for us to see. Although the way you are doing it is ok too. I used to do it that way too, but alot of people prefer to just scroll down instead of having to click. You can check out my thread to see what I mean.

I am by no means a Leader... So if this video doesnt help you a lick, forgive me...
But hopefully someone can get something out of it.
Good Luck and remember. Pictures/Videos are very good for our health :D

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

The Lido is a GREAT boat. I've got it's 'older brother', the Citation.

You are going to want to pop the cap off. Super easy on a Glasspar- The hull & deck are joined with rivits all along the rail, under the rubber insert. Drill 'em all out, lift off the cap.

I can almost guarantee your transom is rotten. This is a weak spot on Glasspars- They did nothing to seal the tops of them, and the get water in them. Odds are the floor and stringers will have issues, too- Because of how the boats were built. There is probably no access to the bilge area- Another 'flaw' in Glasspar design. Originally, they considered the sealed off double bottom to be a safety feature, but it leads to rot issues down the line. The stringers, and the floor, are bare wood.

For taking the boat apart, and cutting the floor out, I recommend one of the oscillating tools- Dremel makes one, Harbor freight has one, and there are others out there. They are aggressive enough to get the job done- But not TOO aggressive. They make quick work of cutting floors and transoms out, and can get into the tightest spots. I noticed the Harbor Freight on is in the after thanksgiving sale at for $18.00... I've got two of them- With different blades- So I don't have to swap them out while I'm working. Yeah, I know- LAZY....

You can check out this thread- http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=355668 Where I restored my 1960 Glasspar Citation. Lots of similar things. I also just did the transom and part of the stringers/floor in a '61 Glasspar G-3 - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=518300

-Andrew

JTGP2011

Cadet

I hope this helps :)

Also you may want to open a Photobucket account, that way you can post pictures in big form easier for us to see. Although the way you are doing it is ok too. I used to do it that way too, but alot of people prefer to just scroll down instead of having to click. You can check out my thread to see what I mean.

I am by no means a Leader... So if this video doesnt help you a lick, forgive me...
But hopefully someone can get something out of it.
Good Luck and remember. Pictures/Videos are very good for our health :D

I do have a Photobucket account. First few pictures I used the web sites attacher. The bigger pictures came from Photobucket.

I will be watching your video soon!!