Nautolex Vinyl on Deck - Aluminum Hull

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, I suppose you're right. Like I said - I'm an expert at over-thinking things. Just trying to plan ahead is all... Now I need to get Nautolex ordered. I've found JT's Outdoor Fabrics in Barrie - $39/yard. Not sure of any other suppliers in the area.
JT’s is where I went. They have it all and then some. Plan your trip if you go, IIRC. They are only open 3 days a week. Did you check with the power sports guys in Ayr? They may bring it in. CAS Marine I think it is

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
JT’s is where I went. They have it all and then some. Plan your trip if you go, IIRC. They are only open 3 days a week. Did you check with the power sports guys in Ayr? They may bring it in. CAS Marine I think it is
I have picked up a few things there, but would rather go to JT's directly to be honest. I wasn't aware they were down to 3 days/wk though. Thanks for the heads-up on that! I did see they now charge a 'pick-up' fee, which I thought was a bit sketchy.

MNhunter1

Ensign
MN - thanks yet again for those pics! I keep going back to look at other details. I was wondering just now about how to handle the rub relief cutouts as you approach the bow. Looks like you folded the Nautolex back on itself in those areas and just let them ride up on the rib itself? Seems much easier than trying to trim and fit around those relief slots too.
Yeah, just trimmed up nice or left to ride up the sides a bit. My Nova was a closed bow, so it was all out of sight and I hit all the edges with some stainless staples as well. The SS was completely covered by the front casting deck, so again, just hit the edges with some stainless staples to add a little more mechanical fastening after the glue.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Can you see the rivet head bumps after laying the flooring? Looks great
If you're looking for them, yes, but nothing really obvious. The Nova/green I had countersunk the rivets and skimmed over the voids with 3m5200. ON the SS/white, no countersink and vinyl laid right over the top. Once finished, I can't really say I noticed any difference between the two through normal use. Yes, if you mindfully looked for them or tried to locate them with a bare foot you could find them. I'm a bit OCD, so if I were to do the same one piece vinyl again, I'd probably take the extra time to countersink and fill again.

MNhunter1

Ensign
I have picked up a few things there, but would rather go to JT's directly to be honest. I wasn't aware they were down to 3 days/wk though. Thanks for the heads-up on that! I did see they now charge a 'pick-up' fee, which I thought was a bit sketchy.
Sent you a PM on the Nautolex

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
That might have been their summer/vacation hours. Google shows 5 days a week now.

The literally had any colour nautolex and other similar brands. And sunbrella products galore. Pleated vinyls, accessories, hardware and adhesives.
I’m heading back for some pleated materials and maybe more nautolex too. I want to do my V bench boards in a matching nautolex

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, if I still have some ears listening to this thread... I think I've settled on applying the vinyl to each ply deck panel separately. I'm wondering about wrapping the vinyl under and stapling along the fore and aft edges, but leaving a couple inches running wild past the ply on the port and starboard edges. The thought being that it could be tucked (an optionally glued) into the inside of the splash rail, closing off that narrow gap between the deck board and the hull. That would keep random bits from falling in there, particularly during the construction phase. Does this make sense, or am I missing something??

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
OK, if I still have some ears listening to this thread... I think I've settled on applying the vinyl to each ply deck panel separately. I'm wondering about wrapping the vinyl under and stapling along the fore and aft edges, but leaving a couple inches running wild past the ply on the port and starboard edges. The thought being that it could be tucked (an optionally glued) into the inside of the splash rail, closing off that narrow gap between the deck board and the hull. That would keep random bits from falling in there, particularly during the construction phase. Does this make sense, or am I missing something??
Do your side panels close this off? My side panels terminate just before the helms. This is the only area that I’d have that visible crevice (except for under the v bench hatch) so I’m trying to figure out a trim piece or I might make longer side panels. Looking forward to seeing what you do. What colour floor?

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't have original side panels, only the chip-board pieces the previous owner had installed. I _think_ from the looks of things the panel continues up under the helm. The idea of protecting that gap is as much for the rest of the construction process as anything else. I know once replacement side panels are in place that area should be well protected.

On a related topic, look what showed up on a recent Google search. I had no idea Nautolex was such an old brand!
1642117126621.png

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I don't have original side panels, only the chip-board pieces the previous owner had installed. I _think_ from the looks of things the panel continues up under the helm. The idea of protecting that gap is as much for the rest of the construction process as anything else. I know once replacement side panels are in place that area should be well protected.

On a related topic, look what showed up on a recent Google search. I had no idea Nautolex was such an old brand!
View attachment 354751
Very cool find! There’s another manufacturer doing thick teak looking mat panels right now. It’s actually CNC routed (assumed) so the dark lines are actually channels, not just colour delineation. Are you upgrading to ply side panels? Those are structural, not just for aesthetics. The PO must have replaced before

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very cool find! There’s another manufacturer doing thick teak looking mat panels right now. It’s actually CNC routed (assumed) so the dark lines are actually channels, not just colour delineation. Are you upgrading to ply side panels? Those are structural, not just for aesthetics. The PO must have replaced before
Yes, I'm planning 3/8" ply for those panels. I plan to mount aluminum angle along the deck, set the ply panels into that, with vertical aluminum leg visible from inside (I think), and use machine screws through the aluminum, and into captured nuts in the backside of the panel. That connection should be nice a solid, but the upper connection to the hull sides is just riveted to the relatively flimsy z-channel. I'm not clear yet on the load paths that need to be resisted by this panel. Any explanations there would be appreciated!

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Photo of nautolex backing for your adhesive decision.

Attachments

• B15EE2B9-3D95-4CEF-B827-B093A0FF9BDF.jpeg
    B15EE2B9-3D95-4CEF-B827-B093A0FF9BDF.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 2ACF1646-424B-4924-8FB5-79FCF17CF675.jpeg
    2ACF1646-424B-4924-8FB5-79FCF17CF675.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just as a follow-up, the Nautolex install on my deck panels is now complete. There are some pics and further details in the project thread in signature below.

I ended up using the ducan Dek-Master trim adhesive, which is a contact cement. By working carefully, with a second person to assist, the bonding process worked out fine, with no issues. I did end up wrapped the fore and aft edges around and bonding and stapling to the backside of the panel. The sides I left hang past to the edge of the ply about an inch and a half, just to block that gap between the hull and the panel. The side panels will keep crap out of that area along the main section of the hull, but up under the consoles, and in the forward deck area I thought this flap might keep pine needles, dirt, and other debris from making its way below-deck.

When riveting the deck panels in place, I'm assuming a dab of 5200 goes on each rivet? If so, what's the suitable product for wiping up 5200 residue, but not damaging the vinyl?