Nascar Week #14 - The Chase Half Way Point - Pocono.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
After a boring Coke 600, a Pocono race should be livelier with drivers shifting in and out of turn 3. Cup and X-Men are racing, but I don't why the X-er's need 4 practices before qualifying. No Trucks until next week at Texas. X-Men start practice on Thursday on The MRN weekend schedule;

poc sch.PNG

40 names on the entry list, so the 4 open drivers will race on Sunday......If the weather cooperates. The current forecast has rain late Thursday, all day Friday, a fairly dry Saturday and cats and dogs on Sunday.

News and Notes
  • Martin Truex Jr. set a few records while winning the Coca Cola 600. Single Nascar race records; most laps ever led (398) and most miles ever led (588). Truex also set the Charlotte average lap speed record at 160.644 MPH.
  • So what does Nascar do? Between the All-Star race and the 600, which had a few rule tweaks, they decided to some more in-race testing at Michigan and Kentucky with more lower down force changes - http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/05...-downforce-package-twice-in-the-coming-weeks/ And after the 600 Nascar says it's back to the drawing boards - http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/05...improve-passing-up-front-after-coca-cola-600/ Why can't they run a full season with only safety related rule changes? :mad:
  • We only had 1 "mystery caution" for debris in the 600.
  • TV ratings - Down again from last year. The Indy 500 was also down.

iboats Fantasy Live

Trackchick Stars won for the first time this season for the first :first: and padded the overall points lead. Congrats, Trackchick.​

Halfway into the Chase is a good time to make big changes in your roster before race time on Sunday. Good luck!

Humpty

humpy.PNG

boatman37

Lieutenant
i'm a road racer at heart but pocono is as close as we get on a round (or triangular...lol) track

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I love the road races and wish they would add one to the chase. My wife was loading the Motorhome today and I asked what the heck are you doing, she said we are going camping and fishing this weekend, to which I replied, you might be, but I am going to be watching Pocono! That was a real ugly stink eye she gave me!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Oh, oh - We'll keep a light on for ya, MT. LOL

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Head that RV up to the Pocono infield and both of you can have what you want 😁

aspeck

Staff member
Pictures of your wife? Maybe there would be some volunteers here to take your wife camping so you can watch the race? Just thinking out loud ...

GA_Boater

Guess I need to get the satellite working on the RV!

:lol:

That's a good idea! The Admiral can keep up with her soap operas while on the road, if she watches those things. :rolleyes:

On another note, Humpty missed something in the news from this week. :doh:

Two more teams got hit with lugnut penalties from Charlotte, making 3 nutters (Shrubby was the first) so far after Smoke paid $35K to institute a rule change. The Dinger came up one nut short in post-race inspection and Busch41 had a loose one. Both crew chiefs are paying $20k and sitting out Pocono.

The Biff's team was hit hard for failing post-race chassis measurements. His crew chief is paying $50K, a 2 race suspension and Biffle is losing 15 driver points and 15 owner points.

Smoke's #14 had body mods found during pre-race and his CC was put on probation.

Another 5 teams failed inspections before qualifying or the race and earned written warnings. Menard is losing 15 minutes of practice for 3 flunks.

That should wrap up the Coke 600!

GA_Boater

Somehow Cup qualifying was squeezed in between the rain drops.

Keso has the pole followed by Logono, Kenseth, Harvick, Edwards, Stewart, Johnson, Dale Jr., Busch41, Hamlin, Kahne and in the 12th spot Shrubby,

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I think I just heard Danica will be in the booth to help call the race today? So they think she will help raise ratings....:facepalm:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
She will be, I believe she has done earlier this season as well, it almost like it is a career guidance center for them.

GA_Boater

Gordon did some booth time last year and others continue today. For Gordon it turned into a paying job.

BTW - Danica can replace the Waltrips anytime. :D

aspeck

Staff member
Problem is you hear her a lot more than see her ... just saying, her voice can be like chalk on a slate board.

GA_Boater

I hope to hear her more than see her. I tuned in to watch a race. LOL

Which is red flagged for rain just after halfway. :blue:

aspeck

Staff member
The "Dale and Dale" show was fun to watch ... Daytona 1993. Did get some work done around the house ... I can hear the thunder, but no rain to amount to anything here yet today. Fixed the mower, mowed at the house and church, did some weed eating, and eradicated some bugs. So the rain delay hasn't been all bad ... time for some office time before the grand daughter gets back here!

GA_Boater

You have more time. 'speck. The race was called and Larson is the winner.

Tomorrow is forecast to be the same thing with an even higher chance of precip.

No rain in San Jose. :D