My Reasons for Hunting

Carphunter

Commander
My boys, (ages 7 and 9), are in the early stages of learning the basics of hunting from 'ol Dad. While on a squirrel hunt this year, my oldest boy asked me why we hunt. "Good question", I said. ...........And as a Dad can only do, I proceeded to confuse the heck outta him. :rolleyes: <br />I eventually gave him an answer that he understood, but it got me to thinking, what is it about hunting that has such a strong draw for me?<br /><br />~ I believe there is a primal urge, in most males, to hunt that goes way back to our ancestors. The "thrill of the hunt", actually matching wits with a wild creature in his realm. <br />What many of the anti-hunters don't understand is that I have the utmost respect for all of the animals that I hunt. It would be a dull existence for me if this world were devoid of Whitetails. I want my boys to experience what I have experienced while hunting. I don't want them to only be able to see these animals in a zoo. I feel I am doing my part to help control the population, while providing my family with an additional source of food. <br /><br />~ I attend Church regularly, but I will tell you, many times I have felt closer to God while sitting in a treestand then sitting in a Church. God and I have had some really good conversations on those cold November mornings. He has taught me to appreciate my time here, for in reality, that time is very short. He has let me become a part of his world as he created it. The woods, the squirrels, the deer, the wind, the cold, the sunrise, the puffy clouds, the sound of a woodpecker, the crunch of the dead leaves beneath my feet, the sunset, the sound of acorns falling from a mighty white oak, it really makes a person feel small and insignificant. There is an awful lot of good in the world that goes un-noticed.<br /><br />~ I absolutely feel remorse for the animals that I have taken, but, at the same time, a complete satisfaction that I accomplished what I set out to do. You respect what you hunt, at least that is what I was taught, and that is what I am teaching.<br /><br />~ Some of my most memorable hunts have come without harvesting anything, just witnessing what goes on in the woods, right behind peoples houses, while they are inside watching football, or they are asleep, and knowing that they have no clue about the world just beyond their backyard. Its amazing to me. Its amazing that an animal the size of a whitetail can hide, and never be seen in cover that would barely hide a rabbit.<br />They are amazing creatures indeed.<br /><br />~ The memories made while hunting last a lifetime. For me, those same memories have helped shape my existence on this planet. If more kids were introduced to hunting, I am sure there would be less gangs and violence. We need to recruit more of tomorrows generation into the hunting fraternity. Teach them the values that we were taught. Hunting does not promote violence, as the anti's have suggested, it teaches respect for our fellow creatures on this planet, including our fellow man. <br /><br />This is some of what hunting means to me. I apologize, I am not very eloquent, and some things are hard to put into words, but I tried. :) <br /><br />I know we have a lot of fella's that like to hunt here, please add to this list. Why do you hunt? <br /><br />Have a nice day. :)

aspeck

Staff member
Re: My Reasons for Hunting

Man, SuperCarp, it is hard to add to that - very eloquent and well said. I also enjoy the great outdoors and hunting is a good excuse to get away from phones and conveniences.<br /><br />I like to walk and stalk, and don't have the patience to sit long, but this year during one my shorts stops I had a great time with 3 squirrels. One actually jumped on my arm! He was running up the log I was leaning against and in mid jump to my arm he realized something wasn't right, but in mid air there was nothing he could do! He landed and immediately jumped to the tree that was 2 feet away, where we held a staring contest for about 30 seconds before he was out of there.<br /><br />A few minutes later 2 squirrels below me were playing see-saw on a stick that was across a long. They must have sent each other up and down for about 10 minutes before tiring of the game.<br /><br />Just being out in the wild witnessing such things is terrific, but to combime that with the thrill of the conquest (or defeat because the adrenaline rush was too great to overcome and the weapon of choice would not stop shaking, or some other crazy reason) is just so intoxicating.<br /><br />Then there is the added benefit of the best tasting, leanest meat you will ever eat (be it venison, elk, moose, bear, turkey, squirrel, duck, rabbit, grouse, etc.)! My family lives on wild game. Very seldom does the wife ever buy fish, fowl, or beef - we cook and eat what we catch/kill.<br /><br />You just gotta love it!

ebbtide176

Commander

i can't add much to what you have, but wanted to give you a big kudos for posting the topic :D <br /><br />this is the kind of stuff that makes coming here so worthwhile(this particular section) IMHO

gaugeguy

Captain

Aspeck and Carpy have stated most of the reasons already. I guess another one is that you see some things that people that don't hunt will never, ever see. Just a couple weeks ago an owl was perched in a tree about 10 yards from me, he knew I was there, he'd look at me every now and then as if to say "how'd your big arse get up in that tree?". After about 5 minutes he swooped down and snatched a squirrel off a log. He was hunting with me that night. He heard things I could not, and by watching his head I could tell he was checking something out...Just gotta love nature. :cool: :cool: :cool:

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hi Carpy,<br /><br />Glad to see those night classes in "Creative Writting", have help you tremendously. :D LoL<br /><br />This thread is the longest I've ever seen you post!<br /><br />And, what a great post it is!!<br /><br />My youngest son, turns 15 in March, and I have yet been able to convince him to go hunting with me.<br /><br />Just wish my X, wasn't so darn libral...she passed that on to him!<br /><br />She even convinced him that fishing was cruelty to animals!!<br /><br />Oh well, I guess he will never have the opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of the hunt or the pleasure of telling fishing stories.<br /><br />Great post though, Carpy.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I personally do not hunt, but I also don't have a problem with it as long as what is being killed is being used for food. I have a problem with "trophy hunters" that just want the rack and leave the carcass festering out in the woods. Yes, it could be argued that that carcass is feeding other scavenging animals, but I still feel a hunter should eat what he kills. I fish, but never keep what I catch, largely because I don't want to fuss with cleaning the fish, and I am always hopeful that the fish stay alive after I toss 'em back. Every once in awhile I consider taking up hunting, I know people who would gladly take the meat if I didn't want it, I havn't gotten around to taking it up. One day though...

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Well, Us (Non-animal killing) types can't be too critical. I would never shoot and kill a dear or anything like that... Just couldn't do it.<br />But.. have wriiten that.. I do enjoy eating meat,killed by those that do and I will kill, bleed and gut fish.. The only difference being size, lack of blood and no noise.<br />Us "Pacifists" are not really that different.

mattttt25

Commander

devil's advocate? maybe...<br /><br />never got into hunting. although i enjoy the outdoors for the same reasons mentioned, i don't need to carry a loaded weapon to experience it. i personally don't have a problem with hunting. go ahead and shoot what you want, where you want to. eat the meat, mount the carcass, whatever floats your boat. my only beef (here's the troll) is when hunters call themselves sportsmen, and that hunting is a sport. sorry, doesn't work for me. call it an activity, a hobby, whatever. just not a sport. no way. now i know hunting is hard. i know all the preps that go into it- the recon, the bait, the clothing, the wait, the observations, actually hitting the target- all hard stuff. but that doesn't make it a sport. no way does the inherent difficulties of hunting make it an equal competition between two parties. now, if you are the type that would strip naked, walk through the woods, find the deer, chase it on foot, and wrestle it to the ground with your bare hands- i'll agree with you as to it being a sport.<br /><br />take care fellas, have a good evening-

FLATHEAD

Captain

I Started hunting with my dad when I was young and it is a family tradition. I have learned more about nature just sitting in my stand the I could ever had learned reading about it in books.<br /><br />I also enjoy the challenge of the hunt. If it were easy every joe that goes in the woods would bring home the trophy bucks and long beard turkeys. As an archer I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment when I finally get off that successful shot knowing that all my practice and Patience has paid off.<br /><br />Matt your right, not many men are a match for a fully mature buck in his territory. He wins 90 percent of the time :D

oddjob

Commander

Ok matt, I'm a huntsman but I do have to go to the sports center to get equipped occasionally. :) ..Or to purchase my sportsman's liscense..I think the sportsmans term has several meanings for different context. :cool: <br /><br />Anyway, I'd be happy to take you along sometime...but ya gotta keep your clothes on and be sure to callout! :D if your going after one.... That would definately be different....and very sporting...for both of you.... :D

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Used to love to hunt. After coming home, life for some reason became precious. All life. Have nothing against hunting; understand wildlife management, understand the thrill. As Carphunter said “The thrill of the hunt, actually matching wits with a wild creature in his realm”. Somehow there is now something quite different with matching wits with a wild creature now as before. I know when I go into the woods to hunt it, I’m coming back and to me that makes the odds too much in my favor. Believe me I like it that way. But I do understand. What I can’t understand, here in Texas, maybe elsewhere, got to have a stand, got to have a feeder, battery operated year round, and feeder got to be under or near under stand. Somehow missing the point of “the thrill of the hunt”. My thoughts and my thoughts only.

Homerr

Commander

I hunt because it is something we as a 'family' have always done. It goes back generations as far as I know.<br /><br />My family hunts because it is the one time of the year we can truly get together and enjoy each other outside of the normal hustle of everyday responsibilities and life.<br /><br />We don't really need the meat, and it's a bonus if one of us bags one.<br />It's family time.<br /><br />But now, thanks to my favorite state in the world: OREGON...<br />They raised the fees and tags up now too high starting next season for the typical family to go hunting (imo).<br />I'd have to take a second mortgage to apply for all the tags and hunts my family normally applies for!<br /><br />I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I've sent my hate e-mail to the fish and wildlife for what good it will do. They have successfully ran my family out of Oregon to hunt and fish.<br /><br />We are thinking of just raising our own beef, or just save for a few years and go on a real hunt like in Alaska. <br />Oregon is over-priced, over-hunted, and over-liberal'd.<br /><br />H.

Jonny Walker

Cadet

After reading Kennys post I was emotionally ripped!<br />Kids do enjoy a challenge and since you can't spend time hunting,at least target practice on cans or paper.Teaching youth how to shoot targets will at least insure our gun rights for the future,Even if they don't hunt.Now don't tell me she taught him that guns were bad?Don't give up hope!!!!!Sorry on the fishing part,I don't know any fishing games except playstation games.We must pass on what our anscestors have to us.<br />WE MUST SURVIVE THE LIBERAL MOVEMENT!!!!!!!!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Mattt25...This is the definition of sport from mirriam webster dictionary.<br /><br />1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in<br /><br />I find it ironic that of there description of sport all of there descriptions apply to hunting. For me it is all but sexual play and for you it's about running around the woods naked. Perhaps you got the wrong word.

mattttt25

Commander

neumanns- good post. i'd suggest sex is a sport- a "competition" between equals. still, hunting may be fun, refreshing, even a neccesity. but no sport.

Skinnywater

Commander

Carpy, you did well.<br /><br />For me personally, I'd add.<br />1. It calms me. The fast pace of todays living melts away when I'm in the woods. Poking at the embers of the evenings fire is as good as the kill....well almost.<br />2. I have some industrial hearing damage (and some Led Zeppelin). However, my hearing comes back in a major way in the woods.<br />3. How my conversations around the campfire are barely above a whisper.<br />4. Nothing replaces the experience of steam rising from the gutsack on a cold mornings kill. The smell of the blood and the way it sticks to bare skin during the field dress.

Skinnywater

Commander

I'll agree Mattttt, it's not so much of a sport.<br /><br />It's much more.<br />It's tradition, custom and culture.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Matttt25... :confused: <br /><br />Compitition among equals??? where did you find this deffinition of sport. What I draw from merriams is a physical activity done for pleasure. Hunting can be very physical and I certianly do it for pleasure, sounds like sport to me.