My Jupiter rebuild

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My Jupiter rebuild

Ace hardware sells Rust-Stop. Same thing as Rustoleum.

Lakelover you make a strong argument for MBS. By the time you're on the third boat you're getting pretty good!

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got a couple more hours of sanding done and believe its ready for that final sanding. I will be going to Lowes or HD for sandpaper and will pickup my primer also. I should be applying the primer on Saturday and I am pretty jazzed up about that. EZ it was your adventures in painting that have stressed me out the most about this project, but all of you guys have done it with great results so I hope I can achieve the same. I still don't have a paint scheme picked out but I think it will be a white hull with red topsides which is weird because I have thought all along it wouls be like blue or green topsides. Red just keeps creeping into my head, I think its talking to me, it wants red. Also started using some paint stripper on the transom. I am thinking I might try to polish it up a little and leave it naked. well see about that tho. Anyway thanks listening and your support.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Allright I think I am ready to prime. The last several days I have been sanding and using paint stripper on the transom skin. Pressure washed it this morning and will do the vinegar bath thing tomorrow am. On the transom i was wanting to strip the old paint and polish it, but I think I have a problem. Have you guys ever had that happen, haha. Well in one area where th PO had a kicker bracket mounted there is some corrsion and its kinda deep in one spot. I am going to have to fill it with what? JB or Marine tex, any suggestions. I will probably end up having to paint at least part of the transom though. Here are a couple pics hopefully you can see the area. not large about 4" square but right in the middle of the port side of the transom.100_1017.jpg100_1022.jpg100_1023.jpg

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I got a little more done over the weekend by getting the first coat of primer on. I am going to put on two light coats. I rolled it on and while working with that I noticed it was kind of difficult working around the lower rub rails. Actually it was a real pain. So after the primer dried I drilled out the rivets and removed them then sanded the area again and primered. It should go a lot smoother painting without those on there. As Don said there is a learning curve with all this so the next boat I will remove them during the teardown stage. Just a couple pics after the rail is off and touched up some of the bare aluminum with self etching primer after sanding.100_1025.jpg100_1028.jpg100_1029.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Lookin' real good. Did you decide on a final color choice yet?

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Lake , I was pretty sure it was going to be white hull with red topsides ansd some kind of red accent stripe around that. But a gray hull is kind of appealing to me now also with the red. it looks like I might get to think about it awhile longer as we have rain and cool weather moving in for the weekend. If that is the case I think I might start building the new transom. Gotta have a plan and a plan B right.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yup, I learned a long time ago once when I got laid off, you should always have a Plan B! Gray & red look great together, really classy! ;) Seems when the weather derails your project plans, there's always something else to work on.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Allright its kind of decision time. I've got 2 coats of primer on and it looks pretty good, sanded with 220 after the first coat and waited 48 hrs. and applied a second coat. I waited 48 hrs. and just finished sanding with 600 grit. The weather took a little turn, and for tomorrow only calling for a high of 60 degrees. Rusto says its ok to paint above 50 degrees. The long range forecast calls for clearing and by next Sat. in the low 80's. Are conditions better when its a ittle warmer rather than cooler? Plus that temp tomorrow is really a late in the afternoon thing. I could start work on the transom. Its just one adventure or the other I suppose. I know some of you guys up north would love some 60 degree temps. :) I just wanted to try the smiley thing to see if it works.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

There are a couple real painting experts on here (Yacht Dr. & Woodonglass) who know a lot better than I do, but from my experience, I had the best roll & roll results with temps in the 70?s and humidity kind of in the middle, not too damp & not too dry. Cooler will hinder your recoat & cure times, too warm and it will dry too fast. It's a touchy thing with a lot of variables. Now that I've further confused you....:D

Yeah, I'd love some 60's temps, we got 8" of snow overnight. But heading toward the 50's for the next few days, I can live with that!

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AJ, I will be following closely in the shadows, I am right behind you so I can listen to all the answers you are getting. It's looking great, can't wait to see some color.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its probably a good thing the weather was not real cooperative for getting anything done because I didn't get much done. Went shopping for plywood for the transom and it started raining again and I did not want to haul that home in the rain just to let it sit in the garage to warp or something like that. So I shopped paint. I was going to use the original Rusto but after a few of your replies some have used the professional. I was reading the label on that and it says not recomended for immersion in water. Do they mean continuous but once in while is ok. I think i just feel more comfortable with the original with Valspar hardener and acetone to thin if needed. Forecast for Tuesday is 79-80 degrees and sunny, I'am taking the day off and going to paint. I just enjoy the time working on the boat and hate it when I lose a day like this. Well I hope I will have a good report for you Tuesday night.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The Rusto should be OK sitting in the water for a few days at a time with no problem. Here's a Rusto story for ya:

I added short bolt-on axles to my boat lift, the kind you can slip 18" plastic wheels on to put the lift in and out of the water. The axles are just short 1-foot long pieces of galvanized pipe welded on a steel plate that you bolt to the lift frame. Before installing them, I primed them, then painted them with some left over Rustoleum "Stops Rust" that I had. The lift went in the water in May and came out in September, being submerged the whole time (fresh water). When I checked the axles, there was no evidence at all that they had spent months underwater, no bubbling, wrinkling or anything. And this didn't have any hardener in it either.

So even though I don't think I'd continuously leave a boat in the water painted with a "non-immersible" paint, this says a lot for how it will stand up, I think.

Enjoy the warm weather you've got coming and go for it! I'm looking forward to seeing it painted.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yay, she is painted! LL I went with the professional as the gallon price is a good deal and I will use it on the trailer also. Thanks to everyonewho has done this before and posted about it. It turned out pretty nice I gotta say. I went with WOG's formula for rolling on with the valspar hardener. Although I cut back on the acetone a little. Started at 10:30 this am and was cleaning up just before 1pm. When the first rollers of paint went on there were alot of bubbles, kinda worried me but they all leveled out and when I got into a pattern and a feel for the paint it went pretty smooth. I mixed up 2 qts of paint plus the hardener and acetone and ended up with a little under a quart left over, but I didn't want to run out either. Will have a better idea next time. This was definately a milestone in getting a little more comfortable with this project. So now I got a day or two to stare at the boat and figure out whats next. I'am sure a few beers will help with that. Thanks guys.

100_1037.jpg100_1038.jpg100_1039.jpg100_1043.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

AJ - the light gray is a good choice. Looks all spiffy again.

dozerII

Admiral

Looks real good AJ, patience is the key now, waiting to flip a boat with soft paint takes real patience. There's so much I could be doing, but Patience.:encouragement: