My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I've switched to riveting the risers to the cross brace outside of the boat ...better rivet access & much easier on the body!

15l9ZXM.jpg

57XS6Pl.jpg

Then the fun part, riveting to the stringers. I used 3/16" solids...VERY sturdy.

jOGuhsW.jpg

^^^ I considered adding braces to the outside but I think that would be a waste... the gap isn't that wide plus it will be reinforced with seat "doublers" as well as closed-cell foam.

More fun and fumes with the hot wire cutter today. :lol:

Thanks for stoppin' by! :yo:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you have a "pounding" headache? :smile:

You can use Saran Wrap for your deck and it won't sag or bounce. Maybe not a Space Shuttle, just a battleship!

Is it an optical illusion? The stringers look lower than the rib ends.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've always hated using a jigsaw for cutting anything, especially AL. Boy does my table saw and chop saw work great though. I have some trailer wheel fender inner shields to cut and will have to get me one of those blades.

classiccat

Do you have a "pounding" headache? :smile:

You can use Saran Wrap for your deck and it won't sag or bounce. Maybe not a Space Shuttle, just a battleship!

Is it an optical illusion? The stringers look lower than the rib ends.

Thanks GaB; It is pretty darn sturdy!

No headache... my lower-back on the otherhand! ...not as flexible as I was when I started this project :lol: !

Good eye on the rib ends. They are indeed higher as you approach the bow on these rigs. The deck attaches further down the rib right around that forward-most chine support that I just installed.

I've always hated using a jigsaw for cutting anything, especially AL. Boy does my table saw and chop saw work great though. I have some trailer wheel fender inner shields to cut and will have to get me one of those blades.

I hear ya...can't tell you how many times I had the Diablo blades in my cart!!

if your jigsaw has the oscillating feature, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you go cut that inner fender shield. :thumb:

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
This just in, earlier this morning, a meteor impacted Classiccat's boat deck. The area surrounding the boat is uninhabitable, with estimates claiming 10 years. The boat appears to have sustained minimal damage, just sustaining minor scorching. :lol:

That boat will be STRONG. I do admire the work. It's definitely impressive.

Watermann

:lol: yeah the man is not to be trifled with while wielding an air hammer and a pocket full of rivets.

Decker83

Commander
You put in some major work cutting and bending all the supports.. Should add a lot of strength..
Looks great!!

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's awesome work! I went with 5/8" in mine to lessen the bounce, but I don't have the span you do in my 15', nor did I have any height worries. That is surely going to be solid!

classiccat

This just in, earlier this morning, a meteor impacted Classiccat's boat deck. The area surrounding the boat is uninhabitable, with estimates claiming 10 years. The boat appears to have sustained minimal damage, just sustaining minor scorching. :lol:

That boat will be STRONG. I do admire the work. It's definitely impressive.

Thank you DH! I don't know about a direct strike from a meteor...but a Heavy-footed fishing buddies...definitely! :lol:

:lol: yeah the man is not to be trifled with while wielding an air hammer and a pocket full of rivets.

You know it agua... it will be a sad day when I run out of things to rivet! might be the one thing that pushes me to get another boat :lol:

You put in some major work cutting and bending all the supports.. Should add a lot of strength..
Looks great!!

Thanks Decker! It wasn't too bad actually... probably 1/4th the amount of trailer-suck.

That's awesome work! I went with 5/8" in mine to lessen the bounce, but I don't have the span you do in my 15', nor did I have any height worries. That is surely going to be solid!

thanks coostv! there's zero play even without the wood riveted down...definitely worth the effort.

classiccat

Riveting is my favorite activity on this project... but running the hot wire foam cutter is a close second.

I'm using 26 gauge Stainless Steel wire and it's pulling a steady 2A (2' between electrodes) with my 12V (10A capacity) battery charger. it cuts at the perfect speed...very little smoke. It does relax quite a bit when it reaches temperature but I just tighten a turn-buckle and it stays tight without breaking.

I stopped laying down the sub-deck foam at the end of the stringers so I could cut and dry-foot the deck wood...especially the bow piece since filling that area is going to be a little tricky.

I might even have to fab-up some sub-deck supports. :lol: :madgrin:

you'll notice that I'm keeping the area above every 4th rib open.
fhqFb2n.jpg

^^^ I'll be adding 6" round access ports giving me access to every single limber hole :cool:

Aft deck piece dry-fitted.
LVXuQ7B.jpg

guess this means it's time to break out my wallet and start buying goodies.
K1XfEkJ.jpg

What's the going linear rate for Nautolex these days?

:yo:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Rochford - 74" wide is $19.16/yard.
Defender - 74" wide is $18.99/yard

Shipping cost - No idea.

All the other places I track sell at a doubled price per yard or by the foot. Those two are the best price I've found.

classiccat

Rochford - 74" wide is $19.16/yard.
Defender - 74" wide is $18.99/yard

Shipping cost - No idea.

All the other places I track sell at a doubled price per yard or by the foot. Those two are the best price I've found.

Thanks GaB! A “little” better than Amazon at $14/ft ($42/ yard!) :lol:

Watermann

Oh man that foam is packed in there nice and tight. My V5 SS has no limber holes, up and over drainage. I'm kinda surprised your not putting in a belly tank, they can be a pain but save so much room up top with more capacity.

That's some nice looking ply you got there, big box store pringles sheets are tough to avoid around here unless you order marine ply from a real yard.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
looks great! that is a awesome foam job. That floor will have no flex.

I like over built

I ordered my Nautolex from Defender, think I also got fuel fill, and vent lines from them.

classiccat

Does 42 bucks include drone delivery and installation? And a Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value® Organic Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Sandwich? I think not!

It does however the drone downgrades the Pumpkin Pie (ON-THE-FLY) to Butterscotch when it sees I drive a 5.7L V8. :lol:

Oh man that foam is packed in there nice and tight. My V5 SS has no limber holes, up and over drainage. I'm kinda surprised your not putting in a belly tank, they can be a pain but save so much room up top with more capacity.

That's some nice looking ply you got there, big box store pringles sheets are tough to avoid around here unless you order marine ply from a real yard.

Over the last 6 years, I lost count how many times I almost pulled the trigger on a belly tank! It keeps coming back to me being able to have full access to the tank (I have major petro-OCD) and 18gal will be plenty for the 3cyl 'Rude and a light rig.

The PLY is BCX Auroco from Lowes... I was dead set on getting marine PLY (90+ miles away) but stumbled on a rack of this stuff buying odds/ends and couldn't get my wallet out fast enough! It's nice...lays flat. I'm a little disappointed in the fact that its 4PLY and not 5. It's getting wrapped in glass cloth so it will be 6-PLY when all is said and done. :lol:

Ah yes...i remember your V5 not having limber holes now that you mention it. Are they all like that? It seems kind of odd...and yours was the hull that glen had to redo a crap-ton of rib reeeeevits.

looks great! that is a awesome foam job. That floor will have no flex.

I like over built

I ordered my Nautolex from Defender, think I also got fuel fill, and vent lines from them.

Thanks Astor(Ben!) You were actually one of my influences in doing the foam cuts this way! I forgot about Defender... I'm leaning towards the Shark...nice compliment to the white paint I'll be smearing on in a few weeks :lol:

classiccat

easy way to beef up the bow deck.

I 1st made a latitudinal z-style stringer (like the long, factory longitudinal stringers).
MpidfW0.jpg

I then bent-up some u-channel and connected it to the rib where the bow-deck attaches. It's connected to the z-brace with the vertical risers and solid rivets...same method as the latitudinal cross braces for the main deck.
3M1ccOk.jpg

before riveting the z-stringer down, I glued together the some foam and cut-out the area for the inspection port...gives me access to the 1st 2 limber holes as well as the full bow seam.
Tfcy0e2.jpg

Once riveted in place, I filled the area with foam.
YpufKyt.jpg

the bow decking still fits :)
OqJJn7p.jpg

Decker83

Commander
You are doing some very creative work. Your foam work is the best I've seen.. :yo:

I used some of the
Auroco plywood in a deck boat.. It is some great wood..
I can't get it here in Texas after the plant burned down.