My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy, I thought mine had a good shine, but it don't look like chrome like yours does and I am not that ambitious!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
WOW, no other words.

Yow, that's SHINY!! :eek: :thumb:

Boy, I thought mine had a good shine, but it don't look like chrome like yours does and I am not that ambitious!

Thank you for the kind words and cool :cool: gif fellas! :lol:

Once you burn a few days/weeks finding that sweet spot (sanding, cutting/sweep speed, cut direction, color direction, how much to increment, pressure, rouge amount, wheel rake frequency, etc. :lol:) it’s actually pretty enjoyable!

The race is on to finish-up the polishing and get to painting before ol' man winter settles in!

Decker83

Commander
Looks fantastic.. A lot of work in the polishing but it's well worth the efforts.. :peace:

classiccat

Looks fantastic.. A lot of work in the polishing but it's well worth the efforts.. :peace:

Thanks Decker; your thread helped immensely! You've pretty much set the gold standard for chrome-crafts!

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
That shine. Makes me think of a B29. Slap a scantily clad woman on the side. Name something clever. Get some slick aviators and ride boat wakes off into the sunset.

Maybe toss in some Kenny Loggins, Danger zone.

Keep the work coming. We're both taking quite a long time to finish our boats. I am trying to make it to 7 years since starting.

BigMikey86

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just spent the last 30 minutes scrolling through your build and all i can say is Hot Damn!, you have a creative mind and the ability to apply it! amazing work on the rig so far. I hope you don't mind but I'm totally pulling some of your structural hull side bracing ideas for my little guy :lol:. I've patched the mild rib end cracks on mine but may add some additional supports as you have done to reduce the load that you were describing. Again great build and i can't wait to see more!!

classiccat

That shine. Makes me think of a B29. Slap a scantily clad woman on the side. Name something clever. Get some slick aviators and ride boat wakes off into the sunset.

Maybe toss in some Kenny Loggins, Danger zone.

Keep the work coming. We're both taking quite a long time to finish our boats. I am trying to make it to 7 years since starting.

You got it "Iceman" :cool: :lol:

A few more hours on the heavy-cutting (super aggressive) pad/rouge and the bottom is ready for sealing (sharkshide); the 3 remaining polish steps will be done right-side-up before breaking out the paint.

luqWLIf.jpg

discochris

Cadet
Wow. Just wow. I read through all 85 pages of this thread this weekend and I am in awe of the job you've done. As a fellow owner of an SS18 (1973) I salute you.

classiccat

Just spent the last 30 minutes scrolling through your build and all i can say is Hot Damn!, you have a creative mind and the ability to apply it! amazing work on the rig so far. I hope you don't mind but I'm totally pulling some of your structural hull side bracing ideas for my little guy :lol:. I've patched the mild rib end cracks on mine but may add some additional supports as you have done to reduce the load that you were describing. Again great build and i can't wait to see more!!

My apologies BM! I missed this reply. Thank you for the kind words!

Feel free to use any structural ideas for your build!

Adding the vertical side pillars (and eventual braces that will attach directly to the ribs below deck… coming soon!) would more than suffice.

I wish that I hadn’t disrupted the double-seam for adding the “hull stiffeners”; they’re redundant and quite invasive… not to mention that the rivets gave me a few headaches sanding/polishing due to their proximity to the spray rail.

Tower, this is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby?
Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

Go gettem Maverick

Blue skies ahead and no bogies in sight!

She’s right-side up in the cradle for the final polish steps (hopefully this week), sealing and topside paint; I didn’t want to put lipstick on here until AFTER the final 1-man flip.

Z8CQ62m.jpg

Wow. Just wow. I read through all 85 pages of this thread this weekend and I am in awe of the job you've done. As a fellow owner of an SS18 (1973) I salute you.

Thanks discochris! And as a fellow “chris”, I return the salute! got any pics (or links) to your rig? :photo:

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
I can appreciate the effort that took, its an amazing shine! I
'll be interested to hear how it holds up with the sharkhide.
I only used wax on mine, and not all of it yet.
The nice thing is it doesn't take nearly the effort to bring the shine back if it dulls up

classiccat

I can appreciate the effort that took, its an amazing shine! I
'll be interested to hear how it holds up with the sharkhide.
I only used wax on mine, and not all of it yet.
The nice thing is it doesn't take nearly the effort to bring the shine back if it dulls up

Thanks Astor! It has your typical imperfections but well exceeded my objective.

so far I've only used SH on the bottom & bow plate. It's a little tricky to apply (at least it was for me). If you treat too large of an area, it starts to dry, then when you overlap your strokes, it streaks. the nice thing about SH is it supposedly just needs a mild soap/water clean and you don't need to remove the old product, just wipe-on a fresh coat.

On the sides, I've only used zephyr Pro40 which seems like a liquid wax with some polishing qualities...and super easy to apply/remove: Apply - Dry - wipe away (microfiber).

SH needs to be applied to bare metal therefore I'm not sure if I can put it on over the Pro40; it may require a solvent wipe-down 1st. Time will tell!