My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah I'm thinking you'd be hard pressed to sink your SS with that foaming effort, are you going to put those round cutouts back in the holes too? All you'd have to do is screw in an eye hook and lift them out if need be.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
You are doing some very creative work. Your foam work is the best I've seen.. :yo:

I used some of the
Auroco plywood in a deck boat.. It is some great wood..
I can't get it here in Texas after the plant burned down.

Oh man...honored! There are some pretty darn good foam jobs here! I don't know if mine is the best but I probably had the most fun doing it b/c i'm a weirdo :nerd: :lol:

Agreed, nice work.

Thanks DL!

Yeah I'm thinking you'd be hard pressed to sink your SS with that foaming effort, are you going to put those round cutouts back in the holes too? All you'd have to do is screw in an eye hook and lift them out if need be.

I wasn't but I am now...great idea agua! :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Eye hooks? Not up to CC's high standards. :D

I know you have some tin scrap on the floor somewhere. Cut a circle, rivet (of course) a bimini eye strap in the middle and loop some light stainless cable from the strap through the foam to the top. Almost pop-top inspection ports. :wink:

Watermann

I know you have some tin scrap on the floor somewhere. Cut a circle, rivet (of course) a bimini eye strap in the middle and loop some light stainless cable from the strap through the foam to the top. Almost pop-top inspection ports. :wink:

Oh yeah and soft close dampeners like on high end drawers. :lol:

classiccat

Oh yeah and soft close dampeners like on high end drawers. :lol:

I was going to surprise you guys with the field mouse colonie that I have trained to push them out ...cat's outta the bag! :lol:

I did take a break from foamin' to do some shoppin'... now that we're at the point where we need to know where stuff goes for doubler-placement.

Going with 4 pedestals. Pilot chair placement will be centered on the wheel (reusing steering).

ZX63GLg.jpg

^^^ the slider option was actually $8 cheaper / stand than fixed-mount on "the zon" :thumb:
Now I'm seat shopping ...this part of the project is not my cuppa tea.

For the helm, i'm digging a seat with sides/arm rests...lessen the possibility sliding-off while underway in rough water. Maybe something like these wallet-friendly Wise seats.

IB00244184.jpg

For the stern seating, these Garelick seats caught my eye. Look comfy, sturdy, brand usually known for quality and they're compact...important for stern fishing. My only worry is that I can't find an online review anywhere.
IB00230509.jpg

^^^ unfortunately iboats.com doesn't have grey...but their fleabay store apparently does. :noidea:

Watermann

I really like the size and quality of the Wise blast off seats I put in my SS.

classiccat

We're pretty much done foamin' for now.

Here's how i'm able to access all of the limber holes.

1st glue together the foam blocks directly below a port and cut out a cylinder with the hot wire cutter.
tq1jzvX.jpg

then cut a tunnel to the neighboring ribs.
SDRRcO0.jpg

then carve out access in the blocks above the neighboring ribs.
VoQ1eYp.jpg

voila:
8VbFdAc.jpg

pUi6xlO.jpg

classiccat

Seats arrived today and I'm glad I waited b/c I would NOT have been happy with the doubler placements.

Watermann , you were right man...these blastoff seats are perfect! Dense foam and they are compact...and pretty affordable! :thumb:

hpP5Hs4.jpg

I 1st set the driver's pedestal 29-30" away from the console leg (dug those approximate dims out of someone else's thread)

The stern-row of seat positions are key since we mostly fish anchored-up on big rivers...so i wanted as much room as possible in front of the splashwell for when we're doing battle!

I established the stern seat position by sliding the seats in the back-most position on the pedestal and put them back-to-back (almost like a head-knocker back-to-back seats).

YxRBzS8.jpg

relative to the splashwell:
x5J3sxL.jpg

And when we're underway, everyone should have enough legroom.
kftNVF6.jpg

What really makes this work is having the sliders on all-4 pedestals...they make a huge difference!

a few more things to mark top-side and we'll be ready to start glassin' this wood. :yo:

Watermann

Nice! The seats look super and you got the helm rated seat pedestals with slides on all of them :thumb:

classiccat

She's lookin' more and more like a boat, CC.

You'll need a new project soon. :D

If I drag anymore projects home, my budget would be hindered by alimony and child support... but I'd have a ton of free time on my hands! :lol:

Nice! The seats look super and you got the helm rated seat pedestals with slides on all of them :thumb:

Thanks Agua! and thanks again for the nod on those seats. I'm already really liking them!

Tryin' to keep my foot on the skinny pedal.

so over the next few days, i'll be cranking away in the following order.:
1) epoxy plugs for holes that will be covered by vinyl (i.e. deck rivets).
2) glass the undersides of the deck ply
3) laminate doublers and drill-stops to the backside for seats and things that get fastened on-top of the vinyl.
4) rivet-down the deck (slightly recess the epoxy plugs for the rivet head).
5) fill/glass the seams and do any fairing.
6) glass the top-side of the deck followed by primekote (primer for going over epoxy).
7) top-side paint (gunnels and such).
8) Vinyl.

classiccat

Made the leap on #1 today and starting turning my deck into swiss cheese.

After marking everythign top-side, hit the top-side marks with the 5/8" forstner bit:
c8HYdw9.jpg

with a small drill bit, transfer a hole from the forstner dimple to the backside:
7WOtuqA.jpg

then recess the backside of the hole with the forstner bit:
sWUCYa3.jpg

clean-up the holes, then tape the backside:
j73mZo0.jpg

1tuJzzm.jpg

3:1 Epoxy resin mixed with colloidal silica:
qHUVhuB.jpg

then fill in the holes (sorry, no close-up pics of curing epoxy :rolleyes:)

classiccat

After it cures, you get a perfectly sealed hole:
UnztWrq.jpg

pVEGRzE.jpg

the rest of the deck pieces following suit...also a shot at my freshly-cut cedar doublers:
ZJS2a3B.jpg

The garage is smelling glorious right now!

thanks for stoppin' by! :yo:

Watermann

Nice work right there :thumb: I love working with good ply, way more forgiving than AL, bet your happy to have most of that behind you. :lol:

poorboy1990

Cadet
That floor is going to look nice. Those seats look very comfy to use. Looks like your going to have a nice and solid boat.

classiccat

Nice work right there :thumb: I love working with good ply, way more forgiving than AL, bet your happy to have most of that behind you. :lol:

That floor is going to look nice. Those seats look very comfy to use. Looks like your going to have a nice and solid boat.

thanks guys! The fun is just getting started! (I've been waiting 6 years for this) :lol:

Here's how I glassed the backside of the deck...(glasser-guys are probably rollin' their eyes but this is how a tin-head gets it done!)

1) Prime coat of epoxy.
LZTJuam.jpg

2) when it tacks up (a tiny bit sticky), carefully lay/roll down the cloth...i'm using 6oz woven.
jeLXamb.jpg

3.) wet out the epoxy and squeegie-out the excess. You don't want pooling (as you can see, I still had a little more sweegie work to do in the aft-section.)
GM7i2LI.jpg

4.) Once the wetting tacks up, put down another thin-coat of epoxy...i use a west systems yellow foam roller. 12oz of epoxy + 4oz of hardener was the perfect amount for each overcoat after wetting. After 3 overcoats:
m0sSBcE.jpg

6.) the next day after trimming
F38MaGS.jpg

close-up shot of the epoxy plugs we made earlier for the rivets.
y7RPorR.jpg

next stop, laminating the doublers & glassing the edges. :yo:

Watermann

Egads! fiberglass in a Starcraft tinny :eek: What do ya say guys should we? :ban:

:lol:

Once that deck goes in things will start progressing rapidly, nice progress :thumb:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Wow boats looking great! I thought i was fancy putting a "floss" string down my center limber hole channel is it called? That reminds me... I don't think i ever flossed!

Those limber hole access ports look great, and the chine reenforcement so excellent.

I'm liking those seats a lot too, im actually due for a seat upgrade myself.