My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

My bad. Only 14 holes per angle. For some reason I thought you were using Clecos or I would have said something too. Well you got 'em now. :)

That's Ok GaB, I see what you were doing...

... you'd let me get through a couple hundred rivets so that I can appreciate the Clecos...thanks buddy! :thumb:

That repair will be way stronger than the knee brace!

with a few basic assumptions, that's over 20K lbs in shear strength!
All this talk of rivets & several-tons of shear strength...guys are gonna start getting knee-brace envy :lol: :fish: :facepalm:

In all seriousness, I can't believe that you were able to do this with the knee-brace in place...impressive!

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

All this talk of rivets & several-tons of shear strength...guys are gonna start getting knee-brace envy :lol: :fish: :facepalm:

In all seriousness, I can't believe that you were able to do this with the knee-brace in place...impressive!

No way I could have put your patch on with the knee brace in place. Mine was only as long as the top third of yours. Still it wasn't easy, I must have dropped my 2-piece bucking bar twice on each rivet.

Nice work, It looks bullet-proof!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I ordered some more solid rivets this week, they came just before I left for Louisville. Looking forward to asking LOTS of questions when I get back on the Duracraft............

classiccat

I ordered some more solid rivets this week, they came just before I left for Louisville. Looking forward to asking LOTS of questions when I get back on the Duracraft............

geeze...hope I can be of help! If you don't have them already, get yourself a Cleco kit.

jbcurt00

Staff member

On Amazon hunting the 3/16 set now ;)

astor

Putting my knee brace in would have been easier with a 5" rivet squeezer.
but, now we are getting a bit crazy with the tools.

DA-5_Redi_set_Rivet_Squeezer.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Great job on the knee brace, Clecos are awesome, I used them years ago. I will have to see if I can find an inexpensive supplier up here.

classiccat

Putting my knee brace in would have been easier with a 5" rivet squeezer.
but, now we are getting a bit crazy with the tools.

haha! it looks like something you'd find in a deranged dentist's dungeon! I read a little about these in some aircraft forum...I guess they're designed for tight spaces...and an attached knee-brace certainly qualifies!

Great job on the knee brace, Clecos are awesome, I used them years ago. I will have to see if I can find an inexpensive supplier up here.

Thanks Glen! They're all over fleabay & amazon. Not only for riveting but also for transferring holes, I don't know how I've worked without them!

classiccat

Good tips on the use of MT! It was 55 degrees in the hanger when I applied it. OTOH, I store my JB on-top of my furnace..flows/mixes beautifully. I'll give the MT another shot...but if heating it up still doesn't help, it's getting benched until I skim the transom! :lol:

Verbal update this evening. Marine Tex is back on the roster. No team of lawyers needed...no appeals necessary! Simply storing it on my furnace (just warm to the touch...~ 100 degrees) made the world of difference.

So, that means a little break from acid treatments waiting for the mail lady to deliver my 14oz MT kit. :D

Thanks for your persistence Agua-man :thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Good to hear all is well in your world of goop! I've been in my own little world of goop hell too with the stick form of JB. I have some MT and gluvit in stock just waiting for the skinning and sealing party that's on the horizon.

classiccat

I'm sittin' there, mindin' my own...

...and the stinkin' transom Z-bracket falls off!

pay no attention to the punch, drill, chisel and prybar :rolleyes:

astor

Don't tell us you are making a new Z bracket with a heavier gauge hardened aluminum alloy, with added structure to stiffen the transom in two additional axis. :biggrin::whoo::encouragement::hail:

classiccat

Don't tell us you are making a new Z bracket with a heavier gauge hardened aluminum alloy, with added structure to stiffen the transom in two additional axis. :biggrin::whoo::encouragement::hail:

No! Well! I Wasn't! :wacko:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dang BF, she's fallin' apart around your ears. Better hide the drill, punch, chisel and prybar. :lol:

classiccat

3 reasons:
1.) alot of pitting in the transom skin that needs acid wash & MT filling
2.) correct the distortion from the sunken motor mounts
3.) needed to get my mind off of work :lol:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

3 reasons:
1.) alot of pitting in the transom skin that needs acid wash & MT filling
2.) correct the distortion from the sunken motor mounts
3.) needed to get my mind off of work :lol:

A very good idea to take off everything on the boat, not only to clean up the parts but to resecure them with new rivets and some 5200. :D

I too pulled my transom bracket and found it need of some serious attention, there was a packed layer of crud and corrosion between the bracket and transom.

I think now your in my word of having the need to feed your craving and addiction to the tin! I'm starting to think the sickness has no cure and I have already found my next conquest, a field fresh twin to your 18' SS with a Johnny OB. Then today just out of the blue a random guy I started talking to showed me into his monster steel building where a 20' I/O hatch Holiday sat halfway through a resto.

GA_Boater

Probably #3 is the big reason. :) Looks like some crud where the Z bracket used to be.

classiccat

A very good idea to take off everything on the boat, not only to clean up the parts but to resecure them with new rivets and some 5200. :D

I too pulled my transom bracket and found it need of some serious attention, there was a packed layer of crud and corrosion between the bracket and transom.

I think now your in my word of having the need to feed your craving and addiction to the tin! I'm starting to think the sickness has no cure and I have already found my next conquest, a field fresh twin to your 18' SS with a Johnny OB. Then today just out of the blue a random guy I started talking to showed me into his monster steel building where a 20' I/O hatch Holiday sat halfway through a resto.

Wow! From MBS to your very own tin Armada! If there would ever be a 3rd boat added to my herd, it would be an early 70's chieftan.

I knew I had a problem when the leaves started falling from the trees...and drivin' along I'd do a Linda Blair every time I caught a blue-tarp out of the corner of my eye in the back of someone's property! :lol:

Probably #3 is the big reason. :) Looks like some crud where the Z bracket used to be.

yes sir, the lids stay on the Amber Ale during the week...so how else is one supposed to work-off some steam (OK...besides THAT :rolleyes:).

that baby was jam-packed with alumina...haven't hit it with the nyalox yet...so we'll how much additional pitting tomorrow.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I knew I had a problem when the leaves started falling from the trees...and drivin' along I'd do a Linda Blair every time I caught a blue-tarp out of the corner of my eye in the back of someone's property! :lol:

I think Starmada membership should include a HANS Device. First to help keep the head locked in a forward direction, second to prevent whiplash caused by jammin' on the brakes when you see a blue tarp. Although a blue tarp indicates a caring owner who cares about his boat resulting in a price that's usually more than us cheapskates are willing to pay. ;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Funny GA, the Admiral was just telling me the other day, just before I drove 5hrs 1way to look at a boat, before continuing on the last 1.5hr to Louisville, that perhaps a device similar to what they install so convicted DUI drivers can get back behind the wheel sooner could be used to deter MBS.

Something that would indicate excessive salivation if tin or aluminum is detected in too high a concentration near the vehicle, or other manner of detection that may be more invasive. Something quick & easy, kind of like a body cavity search.... :eek: :faint2: :watermelon:

Are you now, or have you recently been in the presence of a derelict tin boat?

Are you now, or have you recently been online looking for ads listing old boats for sale?

Etc

Etc

Etc

BTW: 1949 Alumacraft A, 1 of 1100 made that year.................

It DID NOT self attach to the trailer hitch, and is not currently sitting outside my parent's house waiting to be towed home.

No really, it isn't........... Nor will there be any detours or any layovers on my way back to WV.

No really.....

No, really....

But here's the ad Alumacraft sent me:
1949_Alumacraft_Model_A.jpg

Definitely was the way to go, looks to have been hiding plenty to be concerned about. Nice work.