My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

P.S.Those top-side rivets are only there to keep the brace positioned. In retrospect, a better solution would be a few drillbits with tape on the ends to prevent them from falling through.

P.S.S. If this doesn't inspire you to run out and get a rivetting hammer, I don't know what will! :p

BF with the number of rivets and braces you were installing, a set of 5/32" cleco's and plier set would have come in handy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgEIVUVLrnQ

51Mf474YTPL.jpg

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

You're bad, Blue. :lol:

I hope you weren't wearing headphones!!!

These air riveters with the right chisel tip would make fast work of the I/O transom of a donor glasser. - Grandad

Holy smokes Grandad, don't be giving Jas anymore ideas...god knows what he'll trade for a riveter and a Donor to beat-on with it! :eek:

:lol:

BF with the number of rivets and braces you were installing, a set of 5/32" cleco's and plier set would have come in handy.

ISI video series- How to Use Clecos - YouTube

51Mf474YTPL.jpg

Astor, you're killing me man! That is exactly what I needed!!! Thanks for sharing that.

Needless to say, I'll be ordering a few for the remaining work (ribs, patches, etc.)

Are they all-metal so that I can soak them in acetone afterwords to clean-out the 5200?

astor

Are they all-metal so that I can soak them in acetone afterwords to clean-out the 5200?

yep, they are all metal, I think they are about 50-60 cents each and the pliers can be bought for $8-$12. That picture I posted is a set I found on amazon for $23.

InMotion

Commander

Nice vid BF!!! Had the sub and speakers cranked to 11!

Quick... quick... quick... that's all it took and it'll be uber strong to boot!

J.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hey that sounded like a cranked up M60 rockin and rollin!

classiccat

yep, they are all metal, I think they are about 50-60 cents each and the pliers can be bought for $8-$12. That picture I posted is a set I found on amazon for $23.

Brilliant! I'm using 3/16" here-on-out. Much easier rivet to set than the 5/32" IMO.

Nice vid BF!!! Had the sub and speakers cranked to 11!

Quick... quick... quick... that's all it took and it'll be uber strong to boot!

J.

Yeah baby! :rockon: You have to watch those bucktails esp. when the guy behind the gun kicks it into high-gear!

They're fast and a heck-of-alot stronger & cheaper than some of the alternatives folks are using (close-end pop rivets, SS screws/nyloc-nuts, etc.)

classiccat

Hey that sounded like a cranked up M60 rockin and rollin!

M60 @ 1x.

& a vulcan when he goes full blast! :rockon:
4 - 3 - 2 - 1 BRRRRRRRRRRRRP

SigSaurP229

Commander

Ok for referencing an M60 in your rebuild we might be able to overlook the whole journey incident but yes that was a supercool vid

astor

love that sound - 3000 rounds per minute?

-Also really liking the solid reeevits- like you said cheaper, and easy- as long as you have access to both sides, stronger, and there's just something about 'em that puts a smile on my face every time I set one good.

Why do the 3/16" set better? is it because the holes seem to be a bit oversized or something else?

classiccat

Ok for referencing an M60 in your rebuild we might be able to overlook the whole journey incident but yes that was a supercool vid

thanks for putting that incident behind us. If it ever comes back to haunt me, I'll have to regain my man-card with a MK19 vid :cool:

love that sound - 3000 rounds per minute?

-Also really liking the solid reeevits- like you said cheaper, and easy- as long as you have access to both sides, stronger, and there's just something about 'em that puts a smile on my face every time I set one good.

Why do the 3/16" set better? is it because the holes seem to be a bit oversized or something else?

:) I can relate to that!

The 3/16 are more robust for us weekenders...the 5/32" seemed to be more prone to rolling-over especially with a longer stem (>5/8").

dozerII

Admiral

Great video BF, gotta love that sound. I had the Admiral under and inside the upside down hull with the bucking bar, and she never even threatened me.

classiccat

Great video BF, gotta love that sound. I had the Admiral under and inside the upside down hull with the bucking bar, and she never even threatened me.

Man Glen, you've got a keeper there! My admiral helped position some of those chine braces...and once saw a few rivets go in, offered to help...when the garage warms-up a little :lol:

classiccat

I'm a little giddy today. :D

Ordering "tin" online is getting really old.

found a place local and scored 40sqft...@ ~ 30% savings :madgrin:

What's better, I got a tour of their shop and got to drool over their metalworking equipment! If i can't form the spray-rail & keel patches, I now have a place 5min away to bail me out.

bulkheads, extra stringers, braces...should be set for awhile:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Now you're a real :tinfoil3:. :lol:

Will they shear the sheets to manageable sizes for you? Might cut into the 30% savings, but still a lot easier for you.

classiccat

Now you're a real :tinfoil3:. :lol:

Will they shear the sheets to manageable sizes for you? Might cut into the 30% savings, but still a lot easier for you.

It was a full 10' sheet and he let me use their massive shear press to chop-it into 4' & 6' sections...talk about a kid in a candy store! :biggrin1:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Now that's a chunk of beautiful shiny awesomeness! That's a great place to store your haul too, nice and safe.

classiccat

Now I am drooling great score.

Now that's a chunk of beautiful shiny awesomeness! That's a great place to store your haul too, nice and safe.

thanks guys!

I'll admit, I've grown lazy over the years with online shopping. It's amazing the amount of resource that's literally right down the street. pretty cool.

SigSaurP229

Commander

man if it wouldn't have cost a fortune there was a time I considered doing my floor out of aluminum but the sheer cost was insane, though its definetly something one done you would never have to worry about rotting again. If I were a millionaire its what I would have done Aluminum floor and seacast transom.