my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Well...

My plan was to use my old upper with the new used lower..
The gasket in the upper housing of my old upper was shot to he!!
It pulled out when I seperated the upper and lower a couple weeks ago..
I really didnt notice how bad it was and tossed it on the bench..
Looking at it today, thinking I'd just shove it back into it's hole (this is the gasket in the upper unit that the drive shaft goes up into and seals the oil, i think)

It was soo chewed up and bad it wouldnt set back in and I think I would have had a lot of problems if I didnt replace it. Parts store closed soooooo..
I cleaned and flushed out the water passages in the upper, water flows very well through the tube, She's got a new impeller in her...So for now....for now I will use the entire used OD I got for 75 bucks..

I think the prop may be a bit small, as this OD came off a 15 or 16 footer..
It's on..It SHIFTS properly..battery is charging (dang dead sitting too long battery) and she's filled with brand new OD lube...Should be fired up in an hour or so..So here is my FUGLY OD..be nice..lol

replacement.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Kev...I can't see the photo since I'm at work, but I will say that if it runs, shifts, and pees out water to cool it...it's freakin beautiful:D

Can't you throw the other prop on this lower?

We will be gathering an angry, pitchfork-wielding mob near Ft. Myers if we don't get ANOTHER splash vid buddy:eek:

Good luck with her:)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey HA!
Happy New Year bud..sorry you have to work today..

Thanks for the kind words..we shall see what you say later..lol

I mos def (I am soo gangsta) can change the prop..I have to get some ridicules high tech tool known as a prop wrench..

Bring the MOB!!!! I am pretty well prepared for mobs..Have a fridge in the garage stocked with beverages, a nice swimming pool in the back patio..
Food to grill and water to cruise on 20 minutes from here!
Oh..it's ummm 78 degrees;)

PIC-0436.jpg

sprintst

Commander

It's -24 here... Are you sure we're on the same planet.

Nice to see the boat being so close to being back in that nice warm water :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds great Kev:D Let me jump on priceline and I'll be en route shortly.

BTW I'll be staying for a while since I'll most likely be fired for not showing up to work on monday and cruising around on the B-Ticket catching fish and drinking beers instead:cool:

I may as well bring the yellow SS and drive down while I'm at it. That weather is awfully tempting;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

It's -24 here... Are you sure we're on the same planet.

Nice to see the boat being so close to being back in that nice warm water :)

Thanks Sprintist!!! I honestly don't know how you guys do it..You are a much hardier bunch than I am! I hope to spend New Years day out on the water!

Sounds great Kev:D Let me jump on priceline and I'll be en route shortly.

BTW I'll be staying for a while since I'll most likely be fired for not showing up to work on monday and cruising around on the B-Ticket catching fish and drinking beers instead:cool:

I may as well bring the yellow SS and drive down while I'm at it. That weather is awfully tempting;)

Make sure you bring Roz and the kids! I could use a good helper!!!!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Hey HA!
Happy New Year bud..sorry you have to work today..

Thanks for the kind words..we shall see what you say later..lol

I mos def (I am soo gangsta) can change the prop..I have to get some ridicules high tech tool known as a prop wrench..

Bring the MOB!!!! I am pretty well prepared for mobs..Have a fridge in the garage stocked with beverages, a nice swimming pool in the back patio..
Food to grill and water to cruise on 20 minutes from here!
Oh..it's ummm 78 degrees;)

PIC-0436.jpg

Damn..thats clean!! Mine has leaves frozen in ice...good to hear your moving forward again. looking forward to the splash pics/vid Happy New Year!

nlain

Commander

Hey Kevin, use a 1 1/16 socket to R&R the prop nut, short piece of 2X4 between the prop blade and lower unit to hold it in place while you R&R nut.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Kevin, use a 1 1/16 socket to R&R the prop nut, short piece of 2X4 between the prop blade and lower unit to hold it in place while you R&R nut.

Happy New Year Nolan!
You should seriously consider moving south!
I really appreciate your help & comments!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Damn..thats clean!! Mine has leaves frozen in ice...good to hear your moving forward again. looking forward to the splash pics/vid Happy New Year!

Thanks PaulyV...A big Happy New Year back at ya!
Its a bit too chilly to use..No heater!I can't stand a dirty pool..I guess the giant screen enclosure help with the leaves! lol

nlain

Commander

Happy New Year to you Kevin, I just can't see moving any further South, :D, my stuff is all paid for, I am on the water with a boat ramp that works for me right out of the back yard, what more could I want. Glad to help in anyway I can though from here. :D

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Thats right you all have lanai's and enclosed pools. My parents left this morning back to Naples..60 degrees sounds good to them about now.

tallcanadian

Captain

That's good new kev, glad to see you making some progress. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but maybe you should leave that prop alone..lol. It may not come off too easily. Why ruin a good thing. And while your at get a priest to exorcise that drive unit. Happy New Year. It's 25f here but that helps to keep the beer cold.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That's good new kev, glad to see you making some progress. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but maybe you should leave that prop alone..lol. It may not come off too easily. Why ruin a good thing. And while your at get a priest to exorcise that drive unit. Happy New Year. It's 25f here but that helps to keep the beer cold.

LOL..A Priest, a Shaman, A Monk, A Rabbi...(A merc tech!) lol
If I get out tomorrow, I'll see how she does compared to the original one..
My luck a prop swap would turn into a spun hub, broken shaft..Take your pick!

Happy New Year to you too TC...25f is almost too cold for beer and moves nicely into my scotch zone!

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Kevin, Happy new year bud. Don't worry about the looks man, pretty don't run as we used to say in my drag racing days when one of us had a fast but ugly ride.

Jeff

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I went out and yanked the battery to put it in the garage to charge it..
Whats with the wind and rain clouds man!!! I am exempt from weather stopping me right? Its Florida!!! I feel so cheated!
Sooooo..
Remember these jump seats with the molded in bases that were too tall?

Seat2.jpg

Well I decided that I will just see what I can do to cut the base off..Wasnt bad, able to cut it off flush to the base of the seat..

PIC-0467.jpg

Here it is on the boat, about 30 seconds before it started raining..Gimmie a break weatherman! I hate losing a day to weather when I have something to do! (yes, I know 100 of you will tell me about 10 degrees and "X" feet of snow!)

PIC-0468.jpg

Just read all of your thread, amazing job and hope all of those little bastard gremlins have been chased off so you can get that thing wet again unlike those of use with frozen water. I am currently collecting all the parts and knowledge to tackle my '74 twain. The more I read about the SC's and their cult, hahaha, I want to pick one up restore it and give it to my dad, he hates fiberglass and has outgrown his small aluminum.

So while looking for one what should I look for and what should I avoid? And I have no problem with i/os but he won't own one.

~Adam

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Kev,
Are those seats Black with a white stripe? if so where did ya pick em up? Your getting a taste of the weather woes, like us Northeners, only yours isn't frozen. A little here and there, as long as we move forward.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev,
Are those seats Black with a white stripe? if so where did ya pick em up? Your getting a taste of the weather woes, like us Northeners, only yours isn't frozen. A little here and there, as long as we move forward.

Hey PaulyV
actually they are a dark blue with white stripes..
I got them from a ex Boaters World employee right before they went outta biz..Found them on Craigs Lists for cheap!!!!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just read all of your thread, amazing job and hope all of those little bastard gremlins have been chased off so you can get that thing wet again unlike those of use with frozen water. I am currently collecting all the parts and knowledge to tackle my '74 twain. The more I read about the SC's and their cult, hahaha, I want to pick one up restore it and give it to my dad, he hates fiberglass and has outgrown his small aluminum.

So while looking for one what should I look for and what should I avoid? And I have no problem with i/os but he won't own one.

~Adam

Wow..
You read the whole thread, I almost feel sorry for you.
As far as a SC, in my opinion, as long as you have a sound hull, you are basically set..Over time any of these old girls can work a rivet loose, and any start from scratch resto should include Gluvit sealer inside to take care of them.
Transom wood is a common repair in lots of these old girls, I got lucky and mine was good, but luckily it's a fairly straight forward repair for the transom.

Decks are fairly easy, MUCH easier if you have the old one as a template.
There's a billion deck replacement threads on here.
I highly recommend reading North Beach's restore in the completed project section and be in awe of his Liquid Limo.

I didnt set out to restore this to original, I was looking for usable!

I hear you on the I/O's..It is a bit easier to work on them to a point if you have some car mechanical skills, but there is a lot more to it than that.
There have been days when I would have loved for this one to have had a big old 125 OB hanging off her...

Status
Not open for further replies.