my 1991 capri rebuild

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: my 1991 capri rebuild

quickly threw the captains seat in yesterday, coating the screws in 5200. just had to see it with some sort of seating in it ha. still allot to do. hope to have all 5 hatches installed tomorrow and maybe get the crappy stock steering wheel out

there is a more pronounced green hue on everything now, which is just the pva, but that film will wear right off and bring back the original colors

Vestal-20120717-00570.jpg

Vestal-20120717-00571.jpg

Vestal-20120717-00573.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

well the updates have slowed bc of some other things going on

decided to move the fuel fill and use the stock location to route the steering cable out of, ensuring that i basically have no openings in the rear that can allow water into the boat
Vestal-20120724-00592.jpg

then added some more grommets for the rest of the rigging
Vestal-20120724-00593.jpg

so i moved the fuel fills to the port side
IMG-20120801-00614.jpg

Vestal-20120801-00615.jpg

if you look close you can see these fills also have the built in vent
Vestal-20120801-00616.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

i then ran the engine fuel lines thru the selector switch which i installed under the splashwell
Vestal-20120801-00620.jpg

and this is the selector level. if it points to the rear its on the main tank, and if it points to the port side it is on the port side spare tank. simple enough
Vestal-20120801-00619.jpg

this is just a shot of my bow storage. worked out just like i wanted. i can fit all 6 vets, my emergency throw bag, ski belt, and dog vest even with room to spare
Vestal-20120801-00617.jpg

and this is just a shot of the anchor storage. all the room i wanted and easy access to the anchor and line
Vestal-20120801-00618.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

ill get to updating this thread a some point but i have been using the boat regularly and made more progres. i am planning to paint the cap again before i put it away for the winter.

this question is primarily for woodonglass, but should i just repaint the cap with new gelcoat (yes i know clean, sand, clean, paint) or would it be better to use the Majic Oil Based Acrylic Enamel Paint for Roll n' Roll that he recommends in another thread? im assuming gelcoat, and i have some left over, i think its just enough to get a good coat or two on the cap

TIA

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gelcoating a cap is sometime a daunting task. They tend to have a lot of areas that are hard to sand, buff and polish. I'd paint it but... I am not a Gelcoat guy soo...Maybe some of them will stop by and have a different opinion. The Majic Paint is some really good stuff.

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gelcoating a cap is sometime a daunting task. They tend to have a lot of areas that are hard to sand, buff and polish. I'd paint it but... I am not a Gelcoat guy soo...Maybe some of them will stop by and have a different opinion. The Majic Paint is some really good stuff.

long lasting? the cap does not have a ton of difficult areas to it. i previously re-gelled the splashwell without issue so thats why i am considering it

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Majic Paint w/Hardener and with proper maintenance will give you a very durable and long lasting finish. I WILL chip easier than gelcoat but it very easy to repair. I did not use the clear coat so if I got chips (I did) it would be easy to repair (It was, after the rage left me!:eek:)

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Majic Paint w/Hardener and with proper maintenance will give you a very durable and long lasting finish. I WILL chip easier than gelcoat but it very easy to repair. I did not use the clear coat so if I got chips (I did) it would be easy to repair (It was, after the rage left me!:eek:)

Ok thanks wood, I think I am going to try a sand and a very light coat of gel first. I'm only painting it to cover some small touch ups I'm doing w PB, that and the original white is slightly faded. Its not like I am completely recovering or changing the color so maybe a thing coat of gel will work best. Also with the use the boat gets and not all of my friends being the most attentive chipping is a concern w the cap.

Would that majic paint be a good choice if I decide to paint my hull? There is still some awful bottom paint on it that is slowly wearing off and once its gone I think I'm going to paint a decent section of the hull. The boat is in the water 2 days straight at a time. It does not sit in for the full season so it fits in line with your recommendations in your thread, but I'm just curious how it holds up to 40+ mph friction with water, and if it is a paint that will promote friction on the running surface or not?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Lots of guys have painted their hulls with it or similar types. It is a High Gloss very slick surface so I doubt it would cause a Drag problem when cutting through the water. I also believe it would do fine @ 40mph.

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

long time with no update:

i installed smart tabs to help compensate for the additional weight of the added fuel tank. originally i tried the 80# set, but eventually switched to the 60# set and im happy with them. bc of the mounting orientation i needed to use the stainless steel kit so the brackets would be extra strong. again i know how bad the exterior of the boat looks, i just havent had time to remove all that crappy bottom paint
1.jpg

2.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

all the wood in the side panels, and seat bottoms was shot. also whoever redid the upholstery did not use stainless staples so they fell apart and rusted

3.jpg

conform to the curvature of the bow
4.jpg

dash if you would rather do that than use the white hatches in the sides
5.jpg

and here is the bow basically assembled. also pictured is my big bobber cooler ha
6.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

next i did the prop vent mod to my motor. omc and mercury have bulletins about this mod and it seems to work: 7/32" hole drilled 5/8" from the edge of the prop, and 5/8" up from the base of each of the three blades

7.jpg

i also took the bow rail from an old chaparral boat i scrapped (this is also where i got my 175hp johnson for this boat!!!) and mounted it on the capri. in needed a good amount of modification, but im happy with it. i will have to fill some gaps to better support the rail bases before i paint the cap

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

So next was to repaint the cap. Here the windows are all removed
11.jpg

Steering wheel off and this is the crappy old dash
12.jpg

And here is w the dash removed. I called just bc I was curious how much just that plastic cost: $180 = ridiculous
13.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks a little funny w no glass on it
14.jpg

Have pretty much everything removed from the cap
15.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before I started the actual work on the cap I decided to redo the rivets to connect the hull and the cap. The old rivets were a weaker tension strength and the holes were very worn. New holes and stronger rivets coated in 3m 4200
16.jpg

Now the fun stuff. Thanks to several friends I was able to make this setup and create the 60-80 degree environment needed to fiberglass and gelcoat in november
17.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

To fill the gaps in the dash I made templates out of foam and traced them onto this 3/4" marine plywood. I left tabs on the ends that I planned to sand down. This would allow me to mount these pieces from the underside and screw into the tabs for support. The sanding would allow the middle portion to come up higher and be close the height of the existing dash
18.jpg

And here are the two patches mounted. Screws on the edges were run down into the fiberglass and caught the tabs on the end of the wood. Also the patch from the old ignition switch location is screwed on
19.jpg

I know its a little messy but I have filled the edges and leveled the patch w the original glass. I'd rather have too much than not enough at this point bc I already know I need to sand again to smooth everything out.
20.jpg

Previously when I mounted the bow rail I realized that finding mounting bases w the perfect angle would be impossible bc of the contours of the cap, so I knew I would have to glass new mounting platforms. So I wrapped the metal bases in painters tape, glopped some thickened peanut butter resin on the mounting points and then screwed the bases into place before the resin kicked off. Then I just roughly shaped the resin to blend it in. Tomorrow when it is all cured I will remove the bow rail & sand the excess
21.jpg

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

So after removing the rail and doing an original sand this is the rough base mold I was left with
22.jpg

And here are some other spots that got an initial patch and rough sand
24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then I mixed resin w fairing compound and recoated everything. The reason for this is the original resin had cabosil mixed in it to which makes the resin very hard/strong and this makes it harder to sand. So the initial sand was done with a flap wheel, and the next sand will be done by hand

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

bleedblue94

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is one of the bases after a quick sand of the fairing compound
31.jpg

Here is an overview shot of one side of the boat before painting
32.jpg

And the otherside before painting