My 1968 Starcraft Project...

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
Re: My 1968 Starcraft Project...

Mike,

I am over by Fort Wayne. I have a 69 starcraft holiday that I am using for parts if you need anything. You may be able to scavenge a stringer and some side panels as well as some gauges if you want.;)

Andy in NY

Commander

Mike,

I am over by Fort Wayne. I have a 69 starcraft holiday that I am using for parts if you need anything. You may be able to scavenge a stringer and some side panels as well as some gauges if you want.;)

can the tach from those be made to work with an outboard? i may be interested in the gauge cluster...

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

can the tach from those be made to work with an outboard? i may be interested in the gauge cluster...

andy,

If it can, I have 2 extra of them, so you are welcome to one.

-Bret

Ramblin'_Man

Cadet

I think the dirt line you all see down the center of the hull was from a wood "stringer" that was under the floor. It's been raining the past few days so I haven't really been able to get out there and look for old rivet holes. I have a feeling that you all are right about just one stringer down the middle. 2 or more would be overkill for a boat this size. It will help when I reinstall the floor though.

Bret, thanks for the offer. If I come across anything I may need, I'll give you a holler.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Mike,

Take a look at my post about the material I used for the sidewalls on my resto, I think it would look excellent for the gunwale areas on your boat. You can get the carpet glue off easy with a stripper I got at home desperate ( I cant remember the brand off hand, but will post it when I get home)

Ramblin'_Man

Cadet

Mike,

Take a look at my post about the material I used for the sidewalls on my resto, I think it would look excellent for the gunwale areas on your boat. You can get the carpet glue off easy with a stripper I got at home desperate ( I cant remember the brand off hand, but will post it when I get home)

Bret, is the stripper you are talking about MEK? Someone else mentioned it will work pretty well. For the sidewalls, you used the wally world spray paint that mimicks a stone surface? I believe that's what I saw in your thread and I like it. I'm going to the store tomorrow and I'll see if I can find some of that paint. Unless that stripper you are talking about is someting other than MEK, I'm going to grab some of that too and try it on the glue.

sling

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys.....any chance the deck was riveted right to the ribs ?

Ramblin'_Man

Cadet

Hey guys.....any chance the deck was riveted right to the ribs ?

When I pulled the deck apart, there was actually a 1x4 that ran right down the center like an aluminum stringer would. I still haven't had a chance to look and see if there are rivet holes where an aluminum stringer once was. My brother got married this weekend so we've been kinda busy. :D
I think the idea of an aluminum stringer sounds good though and will make installation of the new floor a lot easier.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Bret, is the stripper you are talking about MEK? Someone else mentioned it will work pretty well. For the sidewalls, you used the wally world spray paint that mimicks a stone surface? I believe that's what I saw in your thread and I like it. I'm going to the store tomorrow and I'll see if I can find some of that paint. Unless that stripper you are talking about is someting other than MEK, I'm going to grab some of that too and try it on the glue.

Mike,

The stripper was Bix Tuff Job Stripper from Home Depot. (MEK will work too, just a little more toxic) The paint was Rustoleum Stone surface,. You will need one can for each side.

BassinVt1

Cadet

u sure you didnt steal that boat at that price. Drive i like you stole it!!

Ramblin'_Man

Cadet

For a hundred fifty bucks, it sure does feel like I stole it. If I get the 50HP motor going I'll be driving it like I stole it too... :cool:

I ended up buying Kleen strip adhesive remover. It sounded like it would work pretty well so I'm going to give it a try.
I bought the rustoleum paint too in the tan color. I think it should look pretty good. Hopefully I can start stripping the adhesive out later this week. Then I can get it painted up and move on to the flooring.

Ramblin'_Man

Cadet

Had to take a brief intermission from this project last year. Getting back to my boat now I would like to start with the floor. I want to go with a natural wood look and I wanted to run this idea past you who have experience. I want to stain some regular wood and then seal the wood with Gluvit to waterproof it and protect it from the elements. Is this a good idea or not? I read up on Gluvit and it says that it is good for sealing many things including wood.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

It is good for sealing lots of different stuff, BUT it is not UV resistant. I don't think it will hold up well in direct sunlight. Welcome Back!

Ramblin'_Man

Cadet

Hmmmm... That would be a problem, wouldn't it? I really like the idea of having a stained wood deck, any suggestions on a way to seal the deck without having to paint it?

And thanks for the welcome back... I'm excited to get this little project done and on the water.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about staining the wood and then sealing it with epoxy like everyone else is doing? Others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the epoxy dries fairly clear, but don't know from experience though. Just a thought that might work. Good luck with it man.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

The epoxy on wood looks awesome. Seriously, if you do 2-3 coats and sand each coat, it will look like a bar top, BUT (again) I'm not sure on the UV resistance of epoxy, i think it still has to be topcoated with something for UV protection. Gluvit is basically epoxy with some other stuff in it as well.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Someone else may have an option for you soon....all my epoxied wood will be covered in carpet or vinyl.....