My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not to much activity today....storms, hail etc.... hopefully no tornadoes tonight!! need less to say the vehicles are in the garage... on the good side, my stern light showed up today! I think its the perfect one for this boat. Its a stubby one and seems to fit the lines of the GT.

I also wanted to run something at you guys... since I had zero seats/bases or structure to begin with, I assumed that this was where the cockpit seat base was and it was simply a piece of wood that spanned the width.

When I fit the wheel and gauges, I discoverd that this is way too low. I had a 3/4 piece of plywood spanning from port to starboard and 4 inch piece of foam that I was sitting on. (im 5'11")

in this pix, im sitting on 8 inches of foam ( probable crushed to 4) and im probably 2 inches too low....

So, Ineed to build some sort of base that had the correct higth, with a 4 inch foam pad. Im thinking I could have a kinda of cubby, but it will still need to flow water under it to the bilge. What do you guys think? Ideas?

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
Low rider. Your accessories are looking good. Yeah I don't miss living in tornado alley. We lived near Wichita Kansas for about 3 years when I was a kid. I remember the sky turning black in no time flat and then the sirens would sound. Off to the basement we would run only to be told by my mom get back out there and pick up your toy or bikes because she paid to much for them,she never scared easy. I would rather live down here in Florida and deal with the very rare hurricane issue. Be safe.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I hear you Cor, been dodging them tonight.....nothing but some wind, lighting and rain tonight. Light looks good. On the seat have you looked online for pics? I finally found a guy who had the same model as Miss Morgan online. He sent some pics, which was very helpful, I had zero to go off of other than those pics. But I did manage to scale the seats off them, and I think got pretty clost to the orginal. I actually have 2" foam on my seat bottoms, works pretty well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd prolly build some kind of a box and glass it in, with a hinged lid for access to things below. Might be big enuf for Life vests, or other supplies.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I think that boat should get a Lamborghini or Porsche accent emblem. She looks so sweet!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, here is today.....

Patched in the old fuel fill hole...

Built a seat/storage box....

Thats it for tonight.....

Mark72233

Ensign
Corjen, I see you bought a Morse brand sewing machine, is this what you are still using. What was the model and would you recommend it. If I can make upholstery look half as good as yours I will be happy and all of my cushions are just flat seat cushions. Let me know. Thanks

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Corjen, I see you bought a Morse brand sewing machine, is this what you are still using. What was the model and would you recommend it. If I can make upholstery look half as good as yours I will be happy and all of my cushions are just flat seat cushions. Let me know. Thanks

Thanks Mark, I am still using it, its a 1953 Morse Fotomatic. I also have a 1948 Singer 15-91... I have to say I proably use the singer most, but for some thinks I like the Morse. Both are excellent machines and easy to use. For me, I think the only draw back to the morse is that you have to constantly hold the reverse button when back stitching. The singer has a lever, that allows for 2 hands on the material. I posted a link in Luke000's thread for sailrite's stadium seat cushion....it covers all the basic skills that apply to all type of vinyl projects.

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks Corjen, I already watched the video. On the Morse Fotomatic does it have a number associated with that. I see at least 2 on evil bay, one is a 4300 and the other a 4400. I will look for the Singer 15-91. Are these heavy duty type or just old.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok I have a dumb ? Can you elaborate on the limber holes ? The box will sit in the boat like pic #2 . Add a lid that hinges maybe ?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Corjen, I already watched the video. On the Morse Fotomatic does it have a number associated with that. I see at least 2 on evil bay, one is a 4300 and the other a 4400. I will look for the Singer 15-91. Are these heavy duty type or just old.

mine is a 4300

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A bit of fairing and sanding...if you remember, I had to cut this section of splash well out because I made the transom too thick...

Hope to shoot first coat of primer in about 10 days...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Moving along Cor, working on the boat this weekend? Or doing something that doesn't involve itching?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I Love the Fact That I'm not the only 1 to overbuild the transom Cor!!!:laugh: I'm did/doing the same exact thing. LOL! Dang!! There is always a way to fix it says I.
You are looking great as usual. ;)

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Moving along Cor, working on the boat this weekend? Or doing something that doesn't involve itching?

Arch, no big plans, a grad party tomorrow, but that's it.Mostly itch stuff. Probable same story down there, lake weekend is drowned out by rain and more rain!!! We've had over 10 inches this month alone.

I Love the Fact That I'm not the only 1 to overbuild the transom Cor!!!:laugh: I'm did/doing the same exact thing. LOL! Dang!! There is always a way to fix it says I.You are looking great as usual. ;)

kcassels, I wish I had payed more attention building it...just more work in the end..... On the good side the 115 ToP is 25 HP more than what the boat was originally rated for and I have no doubt whats so ever that the transom will take it. I know/think there is the difference in HP ratings, in the old days they were rated at the crank and some time in the 70's/80's they changed to prop....either way structurally the boat will take the extra, so more work is ok I suppose.

Speaking of itchy/sticky stuff, a bit more fairing today and tabbed in the top cap to the hull above and around the transom/splash well. (nothing like resin kicking off in your arm hair!!!)

Pretty tight quarters in here!! needed about 5 inch longer arms!!! (right turn Clyde)

That it for today.....

I will fill, fair and contour this seam tomorrow with PB and 3M fairing compound. I think this is the last bit and Im on track to shoot Primer next weekend!! Provided the weather is good.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yea times like that you wish you could have GoGo Gadget arms ! :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
that looks like it was a lot of fun Cor! I think I'm going to have some similar fun putting in the upper half of my forward bulkhead, under the casting deck (or whatever you call it). I think we crossed the 20" mark for rain this month....I'm ready for summer! Looking good, its a nice feeling when you start to see it all going back together!