Muskie Recipes Needed

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Muskie Recipes Needed

don't despair GF, they'll never catch one anyways.<br />typical case of "fish envy" IMO.<br />KY bluegill and crappie are so small and all :p <br />they couldn't handle a MAN sized fish! LOL

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br />don't despair GF, they'll never catch one anyways.<br />typical case of "fish envy" IMO.<br />KY bluegill and crappie are so small and all :p <br />they couldn't handle a MAN sized fish! LOL
Don't know MY, he said something about some kinda net or trap or something he was going to use to get some.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

all he needs is some help from yur lil' green pals.<br />he did say something about a Vulcan fish mindmelt<br />though... :p

gonfishn

Commander

No you are confused Spinner. I said I used a different kind of trap and net when I was single. Got to net and release with just a pic or two..<br /><br />After I got married she did not need the net cause there was no catch and release in her mind. :D

KennyKenCan

Commander

Being a coastal person all my life, and never have gone freshwater fishing before, I was wondering if you guy's and ladies could explain a little about these Muskies.<br /><br />1) Aren't Muskies really Northern Pike?<br /><br />2) Are most catches as big as those in the photo's? What is the average size for a normal day of fishing?<br /><br />3) Do you fly fish, or spin cast bait for them?<br /><br />4) Do Muskies have alot of bones?<br /><br />5) Are they good eating?<br /><br />Hope these questions don't make me sound nieve or anything, it's just like I said in the beginning, I never fished freshwater, EVER.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by gonfishn:<br />No you are confused Spinner. I said I used a different kind of trap and net when I was single. Got to net and release with just a pic or two..<br /><br />After I got married she did not need the net cause there was no catch and release in her mind. :D
Was not talking about you gonfishn. I was talking about the guy that was going to do the fry. He said he had some kind of trap or net to get them.

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by KKC:<br /><br />4) Do Muskies have alot of bones?<br /><br />5) Are they good eating?
Kenny, whether its pike or muskie, its best just to ball them. Too many bones and the flesh is not that tasty.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Gonfishn.. Know i messed with ya about eating muskie before, but my hands are clean on this one.. ;) I got yer back... :cool:

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

actually pike through the ice are vary good and if there big the bones are no prob

gonfishn

Commander

1<br />20 hours of trolling or 1000 casts per fish is average..<br /><br />A 30 inch musky is a nice fish,a forty inch musky gets your blood a boiling and a fifty inch plus well nevermind on that lets just say hold on...<br />As for eating it has been said that those who eat the warrior have been known to have seizures and really bad luck befalls those who fish or have a boat. just look at tech side,many have partaken of the warrior only to find out to late and end up in the help area<br /><br />Thanks Snapper I knew you were around somewhere here..

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br />Gonfishn.. Know i messed with ya about eating muskie before, but my hands are clean on this one.. ;) I got yer back... :cool:
Yea as he slowly turns the blade.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

KKC, musky are not northern pike, they act different, and look different, and fish different.<br /><br />Average size of musky caught on a given day is 0"<br />Often times a tourney is won by catching only 1 or 2 fish.<br /><br />Spinning and spincast are done, but most use a baitcaster, some troll. My dad caught a small 37" on 6# line, took him 35 minutes to land. THese fish do not get tired.<br /><br />Musky don't have any more bones than other fish, they are just bigger. I have been told they DO NOT have 'Y" bones.<br /><br />Sure.<br /><br />Ladyfish, musky and northern taste just fine, certainly better than any bass (weedy) or trout(mealy). yuk.<br />Fresh is always best. If you have some that taste abnormally "fishy", the trick is to let them sit awhile in a lemon water solution, BEFORE they are cooked. THe meat is firm, white, flakey, and the flavor does not need to be covered up with heavy seasonings, sauces, or cheeses. I certainly would never use a tomato based product,(soup or pasta sauce). <br /><br />Broiled or panfried are my favorites, but baked is ok.<br />Removing the Y bones from a northern is not that difficult. I have seen several methods. Once removed, the strip of flesh with the bones in it, can be used to make patties or saved to make pickled fish.

bubbakat

Captain

Well I talked to my srink today and he told me I needed to at least taste of one so I could get over this fear of the musky gods.<br /><br /> Boy I am cornfused now more then ever.I pay this doc to tell me what to do right and then my friend (me thinks he is) is telling me not to eat one. :eek: ( what a state of confusion) :confused: :confused: <br /><br /> gonfishn you said if you eat one that it would bring bad luck to yea.<br /> I think I have figured out why we didn't catch one and what happened to the gas.<br />Now fess up did you eat one before you came to tennessee? :D :D

gonfishn

Commander

BubbaKat remember that old lady at the Marina that said she had eaten musky the nite before.. we got to close me thinks..

bubbakat

Captain

You could have something there jeff. :eek: <br />Wait until I see kirk again I'll get him for giving that fish to her. :p :p

FLATHEAD

Captain

Eating a musky?? :eek: :D :eek: <br /><br />
buckwheat.jpg

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well, my buddy came by and had me print off the recipes that you all have put up.<br />He said that they sure sounded good and could not wait to try them out.<br /><br />He also told me he had tryed out his muskie trap and had caught 4 so he knew it would be no problem to get some for the 4th. of April.<br /><br />He also said that if any of you were local, feel free to stop by and grab a big fillet.<br />He would be there in the picnic area at the main boat ramp starting around 9 that morning.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ROTFLMAO X 100,000,000,000,000,000 at FH. :D <br />thanks bro! hilarious!!!<br />u comin to slatfork dude?

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Uhum, all that needs said has been said. WHY?<br /><br /> Oh sure drinking drano will sure clean ya out but it kinda leaves ya with an empty feeling.<br /><br />Just cause ya can do something don't mean it is a good idea.