Muskie Recipes Needed

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since I know that many a cook monitor this forum, I thought I would post this here.<br /><br />A buddy of mine is planning on a fish fry the first of the month at a state park here at home and also one of the muskie lakes of the country, Cave Run Lake, and he was wanting to get a hold of some recipes for muskie if anyone has any, please post so I can print them out for him.<br /><br />Maybe LadyFish has some since I know she is a master chef.<br /><br />Anyone else have any, please post them.<br /><br />Thanks. :)

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Muskie Recipes Needed

Well you've come to the right place SBN. Here ya go.......<br /><br />Baked Muskellunge Steaks (nothing like the smell of fresh muskie cookin)<br /><br />Ingredients<br /><br /> 4 medium sized muskie steaks <br /><br />• salt and pepper to taste<br /><br />• 4 tablespoons butter, at room temp.<br /><br />• 3 tablespoons minced onion<br /><br />• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme<br /><br />• 1 tablespoon flour<br /><br />• 1 can mushroom soup<br /><br />• 1 1/2 cups milk<br /><br />• 1 tablespoon bottled horseradish, drained<br /><br />• 1/2 teaspoon sugar<br /><br />• 1/3 cup grated cheese <br /><br />Sprinkle the fish steaks with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet. SautŽ the fish steaks for 8 minutes, adding the minced onions and the thyme after the steaks are turned.SautŽ the fish until nearly done. Mix together the flour, mushroom soup, milk, horseradish and sugar. Stir until smooth. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour sauce over the fish and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover the pan and cook 10 minutes longer. Serve immediately. <br /><br />Baked Muskie (Over Fire) (Yummmy)<br /><br />Ingredients<br /><br />• one large muskie (nine pounds or more)<br /><br />• salt pepper<br /><br />Stuffing mix:<br /><br />• 1 1/2 pounds stale bread, cubed<br /><br />• 1 onion, chopped<br /><br />• 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped<br /><br />• 1 can tomato soup<br /><br />• 1 can full of milk (fresh or reconstituted dry milk) <br /><br />Build a fire in an 18-inch-deep hole, that is longer than your fish and about two-feet wide. Gut and scale the muskie. Rinse the fish thoroughly and sprinkle the interior cavity with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the stale bread, onion and a generous amount of parsley. Fold the can of soup and an equal amount of milk into the stuffing mixture. The stuffing should be n the wet side. Using a large needle and white thread sew down the gill covers and stitch the fishÕs mouth shut. Stuff the fish with the stuffing mix and then sew the stomach cavity shut.<br /><br />Wrap the fish in four or five layers of dry newspaper, folding the paper in at the head and tail. Truss the entire fish with string (the way you would tie up a rolled roast.) Soak a dozen or more sheets of newspaper in water until it is saturated.Wrap the fish as before tying it securely with string. Tie the muskie to a board that is a few inches larger than the fish and about two feet wide.<br /><br />Remove hot coals or embers from the pit, set the wrapped muskie in the pit and cover with the hot coals. Add wood to your fire and keep adding wood while the fish cooks. Allow at least two hours for a nine-pound fish. Remove coals, unwrap the fish and serve.<br /><br />Muskie Italiano (One of MY's favorites)<br /><br />Ingredients<br /><br />• 1 Package Shredded Mozzarella Cheese<br /><br />• 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (or olive oil-flavored no-stick spray)<br /><br />• 1 Package Rotini or Fettuccine Noodles<br /><br />• 1 Pound Boneless Fillets<br /><br />• 1 Medium-sized Jar Heat-and-Serve Pasta Sauce<br /><br />• Large Covered Casserole Dish <br /><br /> Prepare noodles according to package instructions. Coat interior of casserole dish with olive oil or spray. Fill prepared dish nearly 3/4 of the way full with noodles. DO NOT overfill dish. Spoon a small portion of the sauce over the noodles. Lay a layer of single layer of fish fillets on noodles and sauce. Spoon enough additional sauce over fish to just cover it.<br /><br />If you are using the microwave, add cheese now in a thick layer on top of the fish. Cover and cook until the fish flakes easily with a fork. If you are using a regular oven, preheat oven to 375 o F. Do not add cheese layer before cooking. Bake fish, sauce, and noodles in covered dish (allowing 6 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness of fillets) until fish flakes easily with a fork. When fish is done, remove lid from dish and add the cheese in a thick layer over the fish. Return to oven. Cook uncovered until the cheese is just starting to brown. <br /><br />Happy eating.
yum.gif

Fly Rod

Commander

this is based on serving 6 you may have to add if more people.<br /><br />2lbs fish fillets-- 1/2cup flour--<br />1/4cup evaporated milk-- 1/4cup yellow cornmeal<br />1-1/2teaspoons salt-- 1 teaspoon paprika<br />dash pepper-- melted fat or oil<br /><br />combine milk, salt and pepper. Combine flour, cornmeal and paprika. Dip fish in milk mixture and rol in flour mixture. Place fat in a frying pan and heat until fat is hot but not smoking. add fish and fry for 4minutes. turn carefully and fry 3-4 minutes longer or until fish is brown. Drain on absorbent paper.

LadyFish

Admiral

Fried Muskie Filets<br /><br />Ingredients to coat 200 muskie filets:<br /><br /> * Approximately 3 lbs of white flour<br /> * Approximately 3 lbs of corn meal<br /> * 1 container lemon pepper spice<br /> * About 3/4 of a 10 lb container of bacon grease<br /><br />Ingredients per bag of coating mix (Generally 2 bags are made up):<br /><br /> * 1.5 lbs white flour<br /> * 1.5 lbs corn meal <br /> * 4 capfuls of lemon pepper spice<br /><br />Dip muskie filets into a coating bag and cook in bacon grease over a wood-fueled fire. <br /><br />Then devour!
yum.gif

Bondo

Staff member

Master Chef, I'm NOT......<br />Danm Good Cook, I Am....... :D <br />The only Tip I'll offer is;<br /><br />A healthy dose of Old Bay seasoning added to Any fish Batter, Gives a Really Great Flavor.......

JB

CAUTION!! :eek: <br /><br />If any true musky hunters catch you killing a "warrior" you'll be the one fried!<br /><br />Now, Gonfishn, remember, no name calling is allowed here. :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Don't know JB, it is being held right on the shores of a big musky lake, one that gonfishn has been to and knows which one I am talking about.

gaugeguy

Captain

FYI I read last night that the word Muskellunge comes from an indian word (muskononge, or something close) which when translated means "ugly fish" or "ugly pike"

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br />FYI I read last night that the word Muskellunge comes from an indian word (muskononge, or something close) which when translated means "ugly fish" or "ugly pike"
Come on now GG, don't start a troll please. :D <br /><br />I am just after some good muskie recipes is all. :)

gaugeguy

Captain

For real man, it's in the latest issue of field and stream!!<br /><br />Ok how about this for quick and easy shore lunch...<br /><br />pound of cubed potatoes(pre-cooked)<br />large white onion, diced<br />large green bell pepper, diced<br />stick of butter<br />medium lemon, sliced<br />various herbs, spices, salt and pepper (what's ever in the spice cupboard)<br />Fish fillets<br /><br />Mix everything together, put lemon slices on top of fillets and wrap tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil. Throw foil pack on hot coals and drink a beer. When finished with the beer flip foil pack over. Drink another beer. When finished with that beer, remove foil from fire and dig in. Eat with cold beer. :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

uh oh! Easy Jeff.. Easy bud.. They know not what they do... :D <br /><br />Well, no... Actually, Spinner knows better... Think LF does too... :eek:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

CPR<br /><br />Muskellunge- I read it meant "long face".<br /><br />CPR<br /><br />Eat a musky?<br /><br />CPR<br /><br />I only know one person that ever kept a musky to eat, he was my dad when I was about 7.<br /><br />There are so many other fish that are better eating, and reproduce at much higher rates.<br /><br />CPR<br /><br />Catch<br />Photo and<br />Release.<br /><br />Make a reproduction from the photos if you want to hang it on the wall.<br /><br />Only reason to ever keep a musky, is if it is a new world record.<br /><br />CPR

SpinnerBait_Nut

Keep the recipes coming guys and gals.<br />Looks like some good ones so far and quite tasty sounding also.<br />I don't eat fish myself, but some of these make it sound worth trying.

gonfishn

Commander

OMG as whats her name would say. Eatn the warrior is like munching down on your favorite pet. Wait til I show this thread to Crash Mullins Spinner. You will have every gator hunter on Cave Run Lake at that party..<br /> I am trying to be nice JB and my feelins on this are !*^%#(&^$*)(^(^%$%###. <br /><br />To help gaugeGuy out here its Maskinonge from the Ojibwa Tribe. Esoc Masquinongy or evil or terrible one and even ugly is ok. Ever see a pretty prize fighter? I will make the ultimate blood letting to the musky above so that strange things may not happen to you when you are out in your boat. But if something does go wrong I want you to remember this thread and those of you mockers here.. <br /><br />Its bad enough that I caught a bass on my gator pole(in river now) let alone.....I can even say it. Circle the wagons boys the anti-<br />muskys are here. We may need some 16" or better lures to combat this new front. Where is BubbaKat,MellowYellow,Neaumans,Muskyone,Flahthead when I need em.. Shame, shame, shame on you

bubbakat

Captain

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: <br />OMG (faint) cpr help me I cain't believe this <br />Let me outta here gotta to find me therpist :(

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

First thing you need is disposible gloves and lots of newspaper. You dont want to get the slime and stench on your hands. After you have made the fillets you need to get yourself a meat grinder to take care of the y bones. Run it through the grinder a couple of times and add lots of garlic and onions. (Helps hide the flavor of the fish) and fry in butter until brown on both sides.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of the "ugli" fish are ground up and mixed with various fillers, then formed into pattys and fried. :D <br /><br />The large ones whould especially be suited for pattys.<br /><br />When you filet a muskie, are their Y bones like in pike?<br /><br />I think any walleye recipe whould work.<br /><br />Also remember to save the cheeks, if they have them.<br /><br />And don't forget to nail their heads to your boathouse/storagebarn.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

If a muskie has Y bones like a pike, I can fillet it out without bones. No kidden'.