Motor stalls in neutral

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
My 1995 90hp stalls in neutral since I have changed my fuel filter. Also the primer bulb no longer gets firm. I assume I'm getting air the the fuel lines which is what I'll check before messing with the idle speed.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? the ball stays soft: the primer is bad, the fuel pump is bad, the float might be stuck or the squeezie is bad, bad connection somewhere?
Stalling? low rpms, or there's an exhaust leak? try running with the cover off?

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Must have been air bubbles in the fuel lines it primes now. I have a different problem now. The motor won't start even using starting fluid. I expect no spark but I haven't tested yet. The symptoms lead me to believe it's the regulator. My tach would work for 10-15 minutes then die. Then it totally quit all together. It's a CDI regulator and according to their site you can disconnect the two yellow wires and if you get spark then replace the regulator.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
No deep cycle batteries with these. I’ve went through several tachs until learning the lesson. In line fuse before your instrument panel as well for safe measure

topgun3690

Ensign
And no maintenance free batteries, AGM, or dry cell batteries....according to CDI Electronics. FYI

Last edited:

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
And no maintenance free batteries, AGM, or dry cell batteries....according to CDI Electronics. FYI
I use a regular marine starting battery. I recently filled it up with distilled water and put it on slow charge. Also I learned my lesson using cheap rectifier / regulators. The $30 ones don't last. I spend $140 and get CDI.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced the regulator / rectifier. Now I have spark and tach but it will only idle when throttled up. Very hard to start also. I suspect the fuel pump.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Check fuel pump diaphragm? Carb floats set right? Link n sinc??

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got throttle cable problems. Can't start and it cuts off in neutral but starts and runs when I push the black button and throttle up. I had the shift cable replaced last year. I'll try to adjust it I may have to replace it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The neutral safety switch has to do with the starter motor.----Not spark.----If motor is in gear it should not crank over.-----A primer bulb easily gets rid of air.------If primer bulb does not go hard it could mean a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
The neutral safety switch has to do with the starter motor.----Not spark.----If motor is in gear it should not crank over.-----A primer bulb easily gets rid of air.------If primer bulb does not go hard it could mean a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump.
I've replaced the fuel pump. The primer bulb gets hard. It should start when in neutral.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your motor has the primer and it has a diaphragm too.
Pinch off the hose to the primer or float bowl and see if the ball get firm??
Neutral safety: for some reason I was thinking of an older model :(
The adjustments are still made on the motor not in the shifter.
Unhook the shift cable, then shifter in N then adjust the cable connector/end.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your motor has the primer and it has a diaphragm too.
Pinch off the hose to the primer or float bowl and see if the ball get firm??
Neutral safety: for some reason I was thinking of an older model :(
The adjustments are still made on the motor not in the shifter.
Unhook the shift cable, then shifter in N then adjust the cable connector/end.
Sounds like I need to adjust the shift linkage at the motor. The shift cable was replaced last year at the shop. It probably stretched or came loose. I've got a shop manual it has instructions.